Specs vs performance...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Which one do you think counts the most today?

I know this is a "already discussed so many times" topic..but wanted your opinion. The community was divided on this. So I decided to make a poll...

Share what you feel...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Specifications. Greater hardware means more compatibility with ported Android and IOS apps.

Say what you want about Windows Phone not needing Dual-Core but I used Third Party apps and boy, if you think Android is laggy wait till you use Slacker Radio or Accuweather.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Good specs without good performance is useless...

That is like saying good ingredients are more important than what the food tastes like in the end.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, Windows Phone 8 has now caught up with specs to the competition. There's not need to lie to make us feel better.

I hope this means, the games won't be so awful =)

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, Windows Phone 8 has no caught up with specs to the competition. There's not need to lie to make us feel better.

I hope this means, the games won't be so awful =)

What specs are you talking about? The WP8 phones are right up there with the competition.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Specifications. Greater hardware means more compatibility with ported Android and IOS apps.

Say what you want about Windows Phone not needing Dual-Core but I used Third Party apps and boy, if you think Android is laggy wait till you use Slacker Radio or Accuweather.

Not really.

The biggest challenge is normally the API that devs have to work with. It determines what they have access to.

Sure, there is normally a minimum spec needed, mainly in the GPU. But for almost all apps and games, the spec required isn't very high. Rarely does a developer create something that will only run on the very top few mobile devices.

Devs do want native code access or DEEP APIs so they can tune PERFORMANCE.

And there's also always going to be some devs who don't tune for performance, and you'll get a sluggish app like Slacker radio on WP. That may have bern from lazy coding, or bexause they didn't have access to a necessary API.

Android more than its fair share if poor performing apps, even on their very top phones because some devs just didn't really care.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Android also has lots of options for apps but look at me for example.

I dislike the facebook app so I.

update my status with the me tile
check my messages in touch.facebook.com when that crash (which does, a lot)
I got to m.facebook.com. But I can't scroll a lot in there, Sp I
go back to touch.facebook.com but the pictures don't look right
So I go to people's hub.

Why isn't another Facebook app that does things right? At least with Android I have options, Slacker Radio is soooooo bad, but there's no Pandora T_T.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunetly most of the uninformed buyers will buy specs on paper. Quad core sounds better than dual core. They don't know that if an app isn't written to use all four cores then it is a waste and a huge battery eater. The dual core WP8's will be smooth as butter because the OS is very efficient unlike the lag-droids.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Android also has lots of options for apps but look at me for example.

I dislike the facebook app so I.

update my status with the me tile
check my messages in touch.facebook.com when that crash (which does, a lot)
I got to m.facebook.com. But I can't scroll a lot in there, Sp I
go back to touch.facebook.com but the pictures don't look right
So I go to people's hub.

Why isn't another Facebook app that does things right? At least with Android I have options, Slacker Radio is soooooo bad, but there's no Pandora T_T.

Just so you know, devs have told me that Facebook's API is a nightmare. Most deva don't want to deal with that. It's a lot of time and headache, and Facebook may decide to change it on a whim.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Facebook works fine of IOS. I would accept that, if they weren't better options of the other OS.

I'm pretty sure Slacker Radio on Android doesn't take 5 minutes from opening the app to actually playing music.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Facebook works fine of IOS. I would accept that, if they weren't better options of the other OS.

I'm pretty sure Slacker Radio on Android doesn't take 5 minutes from opening the app to actually playing music.

iOS has Facebook problems too. I would assume Android does also.

But keep in mind that devs have deeper access on those OS's than they do with WP7.x. It makes things like notifications and ports easier to manage. It has nothing to do with the hardware.

Also keep in mind that both iOS and Android have gigantic user bases. So devs can more easily justify the expenses related to working with Facebook's nightmarish API.

This is not a hardware or specs issue.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hope I was clear when I wrote "Performance". I meant that even on standard or mediocre specs, if the phone performs fast, do we then STILL need Specs?

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunetly most of the uninformed buyers will buy specs on paper. Quad core sounds better than dual core. They don't know that if an app isn't written to use all four cores then it is a waste and a huge battery eater. The dual core WP8's will be smooth as butter because the OS is very efficient unlike the lag-droids.

*face palm*

AINT NO QUAD CORE PHONE IN THE US. Sure overseas people MAY do that, but the gotcha is Nokia makes a jumble of money from their low end phones in low cost countries.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
You guys do know that the dual core in the Snapdragon S4 compares favorably to the quad core in the Tegra 3, right? The S4 cores are much more advanced.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Many will buy on specs. But it's actually not that important to the average buyer.

The real issue is that most phone reps SELL based on specs. And buyers put their trust in the sales rep.

With Apple, reps sell based on design, the ecosystem, and a general lifestyle. They don't talk about specs. And we know that there are tons of devoted Apple followers.

WP can't be sold bases on someone else's strength. They won't beat Android in the spec war because OEMs don't have to test things with Google. They can just churn out phones whenever they want.

But WP can adopt its own identity, philosophy, and style. Then get reps to sell based on those. The fact that WP can get handsets updated much more often than Apple, and add a variety of choices is gravy.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Hope I was clear when I wrote "Performance". I meant that even on standard or mediocre specs, if the phone performs fast, do we then STILL need Specs?

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

Of course there needs to be a minimum standard. Devs need a base to work from. And the higher the minimum standard, the better.

But when it comes to exceeding the minimum specs, it doesnt make that big of a difference. Especially with WP.

Devs want to make money. They stand the best chance by targeting as many people as possible. So as they will target the lowest spec that will allow their software to run. If there is a minimum spec set in stone, that is great because devs know a solid number to target their app or game to.

Android's problem is a lack of a minimum spec. Devs make something and often don't know if it will run on more than a handful of devices they were able to test it with.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think the argument people were making against the Nokia video had valid points, but you can't argue that Nokia is giving low specs. No way, no how, no validity

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
If you want to talk about overkill on specs, my home computer is the perfect example:

8 cores, 12GB RAM, Dual ATI video cards in Crossfire. :D

2jebb78.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb