Start menu and taskbar not working in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My laptop is LENOVO G510. It came with windows 8 single language. I upgraded to windows 8.1 single language a year ago. I updated it to windows 10 home by triggering the update. The upgrade went successfully. But the problem now is the start button, applications in the taskbar(only right click) and icons on the taskbar on the right side(time, battery, wifi etc) are not working. They work if I click them after a gap of ten minutes. But if I click them for a second time immediately, they won't work.

I got a message box showing "startmenu and cortana are not working, it will be fixed the next time you sign in". When I sign out and sign in, there is no change.

Is it my only problem or it occured to many laptops?
Is there any way to fix it?
Is Microsoft working to fix it soon?

Please inform me.

John Truswell

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why isn't my Start menu and taskbar working in Windows 10?

***YOU MUST HAVE THE WINDOWS FIREWALL SERVICE RUNNING FOR THIS TO WORK***
1. Find C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
2. Right-click and Run as Administrator
3. Copy this line:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
4. Right-click in the Powershell window to Paste and then press Enter.
5. There is no need to restart. The fix should implement right away.
If you have previously disabled Windows Firewall or do not have it running, the above steps will result in errors. Use the steps below to enable Windows Firewall and the reverse if you wish to turn it off again afterwards.
1. Right-click the Start button -> Click Run
2. Type Services.msc and press Enter
3. Scroll down to find Windows Firewall
4. Right-click then click Properties
5. Under Startup Type dropdown -> Select Manual. Click Apply
6. In the top left portion of the Services Window, Click Start this service.
7. Now follow the steps in the first section, and it should work.
These steps worked for me. They have no guarantee to work for you. Just trying to spread some help/love. Best of luck to all in your troubleshooting.
:confused::kiss::asleep::winktongue::grincry::angry::wink::grin::angel::unhappysweat::excited::amaze::unhappy::evil::sweaty::straight:

The top part of this worked for me (the first part which refers to having the firewall running) after trying numerous methods over the last couple of days, thanks very much

Teepu Rana

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

I got this issue as well these steps fixed it for me
1. Go to the desktop, right click anywhere, hover your mouse over new and then click shortcut
2. When you are making a shortcut it will ask you to type a location. type in "msconfig", click next and then it will ask you what you want to name the shortcut name it anything you want its not imprtant.
3 . A shortcut for msconfig will show up double click it and click on the boot tab at the top. once in the boot tab enable safeboot and the click network underneath it and then click apply then OK it will ask if you want to restart you should restart it
4. Once it is restarted you should go to ms config again and then turn off safe boot and the apply and restart again and hopefully once you have done that things should return to normal

I recently encountered this start malfunction.

I did the quoted sol but know I cant even seem to log in to windows after the first reboot.
I had this start tab not working issue after i got my laptop's hinge repaired. Was present during it and did not see any mishandling of my hard. Another thing i recall that was the last thing i did was upgrade my nvidia graphics card drivers.
The issues i noticed were the loss of start, wifi network selection tab, volume tab as well the loss of MS account selection screen on startup, even the image I had personalized to come up at start up wasn't there. I was able to do/fiddle about with most of others stuff normally. Only a white screen with the hp fingerprint swipe prompt was coming when i started my laptop the first time today --- which isnt there now that i tinkered with the boot options as above. :(

Any workarounds to this plz so i can get inside and try other solutions as well..

JBaty

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Startmenu and taskbar not working in windows 10

I did the same thing; had to register just to say thanks. Brilliant solution.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Dave Grant

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Man, I tried all of the stuff before this and spent HOURS . . . . this log back in safe mode from msconfig through 'network' took all of minutes and fixed this huge problem. -I also reg.'ed here just to be able to thank you!!

johnny_1021

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site

1. Go to the desktop, right click anywhere, hover your mouse over new and then click shortcut
2. When you are making a shortcut it will ask you to type a location. type in "msconfig", click next and then it will ask you what you want to name the shortcut name it anything you want its not imprtant.
3 . A shortcut for msconfig will show up double click it and click on the boot tab at the top. once in the boot tab enable safeboot and the click network underneath it and then click apply then OK it will ask if you want to restart you should restart it
4. Once it is restarted you should go to ms config again and then turn off safe boot and the apply and restart again and hopefully once you have done that things should return to normal

THIS WORKED !!!!

Thank you so much, Raheem Baker. I also noticed this made startup much faster. Does this reset the startup cache or something ?

the runner

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

Ok this may not work for everyone but until ms fix this in windows 10 i will be using it because it works for me
if my toolbar disappears i simply go to (TASKBAR AND STAR MENU PROPERTIES)IN TASKBAR MENU CLICK LOCK THE TASK BAR AND APPLY
YOU SHOULD SEE YOUR TASK BAR APPEAR THEN JUST UNTICK LOCK THE TASK BAR AND APPLY
it works for me every time i have a shortcut on my desktop so its realy quick to do
hope this helps some atleast
:grin::grin:

Samuel Sulaiman1

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site

It seems working so far, so I assume that there is something wrong with device that connected with networking e.g portable modem?

Thomas Buzard

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site

I have been fighting the Start button fixes for over a month. I am sick of the Microsoft solutions that start with "click the <Start> button"; hello the button does not work!
The power shell options are not working, the only thing I have not tried is to create new account.
Microsoft - create a program that works before you shove it out on the market!
My next machine will be an Apple (gag, choke, spit)

Philippe Carbonneau

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site

Thank you Alex! Running CCleaner and fixing all registry issues fixed the problem! And by that I actually mean that it fixed the non-working start menu, not the missing files in folders.

Jim II

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site

i HAVE LOST THE ABILITY to left click win icon which activates the start menu
right click gives me limited access to mu cpu
win 10 has caused me much grieve
Jim II:angry::angry:

damian gracia

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site

Think i have a quick and easy way to resolve Start bar being unresponsive. From Win7 too Win10

control Panel -> Programes and Features -> Turn Window Features On or Off -> disable Powershell 2, this will cause your desktop to become unresponsive after completing but after a physical restart you should have full working again. Would like to hear feedback as only managed to test this out on one system last night.

Think as Win10 using PS4 there is a conflict in PS2 being active.

I also noticed this brought the Setting Page as to how it should be for Win10 and Windows update was now available again.

vrp13

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

Tried this based off evryone's responses, and unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I believ I did all the steps correctly seeming how it is laid out pretty simply. Is anyone else having issues after applying this technique? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and Thank you Rasheem for the post!

jesl

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site

many, many thanks Raheem... it worked for me..
only thing was the popup `msconfig.exe' didnt appear.. I had to search for it,
but once I went through the enable safe mode start, reboot, everything came back, then disabled safe mode, and rebooted again, and it all works fine!
you helped me a lot today.... thanks whoever you are!!

Aritra Halder

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site

Raheem Baker you are a genius. After all the failed troubleshooting I tried your short cut formula and Voila! it worked!!
Thanks a lot and wish you a load of happiness. Keep rocking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb