Surface 2 (non Pro) display port

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Is the video out port on the Surface 2 (non Pro) a Mini DisplayPort? I ask because the MS website indicates the surface 2 has a "HD video out port" and the Pro has a "Mini DisplayPort", so I'm not sure what the difference is (if any). Also, if the non-Pro actually has a Mini DisplayPort, then can we buy non-MS branded Mini DisplayPort adapters (i.e. from MonoPrice)? Can the non-Pro output video to HDMI/DVI equipped monitors ( i assume so since it's an "HD video out port")?

Thanks in advance!

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Damager56

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I bought a micro hdmi to hdmi cable yesterday to test it out on my surface 2.

I plugged it into my surface 2 and connected to my samsung TV, and to my disappointment it didn't work.

In order to find out if I had a faulty cable, I proceeded to with my Blackberry Z10 which has a micro hdmi port, and it worked beautifully.

I tried again on the surface and this time with my other LG TV, and same result, not working.

At best, I was able to get the surface to detect the cable, so I had the option choose whether I wanted to duplicate the screen, or extend it via "Device" on the charm bar or I can go into "Settings"-->"Change PC Settings" --> "PC and devices" --> "Display" to change things up, but none of that matter because nothing was displaying on the TV, the TV could not register a signal.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I just got a 6ft Bluerigger micro HDMI to HDMI cable from Amazon for $6. Works great going into a 22" Acer monitor right out of the box from my Surface 2.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Take a close look at the micro HDMI end of the cable. Because the edge of the Surface is at an angle compared to the port, cables that have a wide casing around the connector may not be fully seated.

I had that issue with mine. Using a sheetrock knife I carefully trimmed the casing so that it matched the angle of the Surface's edge. That allowed the cable to more fully seat and make the connection.

I'm pretty sure that will get you working.

If you get the video to work but find that the audio is not coming through the TV, then you will need to bring up the audio settings on the Surface 2 desktop and set the audio out to HDMI. (Windows doesn't or at least didn't when I had a Surface 2, automatically switch the audio... it has to be manually set) I ended up creating a shortcut on the desktop to the audio settings.

​hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb