Surface Atom?

Easy-G

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else wish MSFT would come up with an Atom powered Surface? For me, $500 is too much for an Windows RT tablet, $1000 is too much for a Windows 8 tablet. If I could get "real" Windows, Surface hardware, pen input, with a $600-$700 price point, I'd bite.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
A surface, no. They want a powerful tablet and a powerful "laplet". They don't want an okay performing "laplet". Atoms may run full windows, but shouldn't be used for those type of programs full windows uses, like Premiere.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Lenovo just made it with the ThinkPad 8, comes with CPU Intel Atom Bay Trail, 2GB of RAM, pen support... all that for just $400.
Read article said it omitted active digitizer for cost cutting. So sounds like no pen to be. But please tell me I'm wrong because if it has pen support it would be perfect for me.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Sorry i made a mistake, in reality was the ASUS VivoTab Note 8 with Atom Bay Trail CPU and 2GB of RAM, screen resolution at 1280 x 800 pixels. This tablet comes with pen support. The price is even lower than the Thinkpad 8, the 32GB version for just $299.

Last edited:

chrisgull

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Lenovo just today announced miix 10" $500 w detachable keyboard. I have a lenovo lynx, cheap but there are better choices out there.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd say the Surface should have an entry level unit with Core i3 and Wacom for $599. Even though the price point is higher than the current Surface 2 you can still make the case that it is a full Windows 8 tablet-PC of premium quality and versatile capability (especially with the pen). This device can easily face off against the MacBook Air and iPad.

Under that I'd have an 8 inch Surface on Bay Trail, but with a 1080p screen and Wacom digitizer, $399. Position it as a iPad Retina Mini alternative that, once again, gives you a full Windows 8 tablet-PC of premium quality and versatility.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Holy crack... this + Type Cover 2 and I might be set.
That's the Pro 1. From what I understand it didn't do so well with battery life... and it has a fan but still had issues with heat. Although that is a significant drop in price over the original price, the landscape is changing so quickly that I would not be surprised to see something even better from Asus, Acer, or Lenovo within the next 3-5 months.

$600+$120 = $720. If that is your budget, I think you'll be able to do much better for your money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toysforkids