Surface GIVEAWAY contestants gather here

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Who thinks it can replace my desktop?

hey ryan, depends on what you do on your desktop! if youre a hardcore gamer then not a chance. if you just use this computer as if it were a desktop then its kinda pointless (after all, part of owning a laptop is to take it out and about :p ). but if you do some light gaming and type reports and watch videos among other non-gpu intensive activities then this laptop would be good.

VinayGera

May 22, 2017
Visit site
Also what would be the criteria... Would be purely on the basis of number of posts (not sure what would be meaningful)... Or a random draw or are there any additional considerations that the windows central team has thought to include after looking at the quality of the posts for this giveaway ?

Eric Edmondson

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I think MS are doing something interesting with this focusing more on apps and software design, I think Win 10S will work out, especially with products running on ARM soon.

VinayGera

May 22, 2017
Visit site
I think MS are doing something interesting with this focusing more on apps and software design, I think Win 10S will work out, especially with products running on ARM soon.

Microsoft is already a leader in PC/OS industry. One area where MS has failed miserably is mobile segment. OS alone won't be of any help on that area...

Next big thing is rumoured to be a Surface phone. If at all MS wants to capture mobile market, they have to come up with some revolutionary idea that will let its user enjoy Win OS power with android app support coz I dont see windows store reaching any close to IOS and android app store ever. This is something that microsoft should have thought about long time back.

jararacaz

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Also what would be the criteria... Would be purely on the basis of number of posts (not sure what would be meaningful)... Or a random draw or are there any additional considerations that the windows central team has thought to include after looking at the quality of the posts for this giveaway ?

I don't think they would read and analyze every comment. the posts are numbered, it's probably going to be random

jararacaz

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft is already a leader in PC/OS industry. One area where MS has failed miserably is mobile segment. OS alone won't be of any help on that area...

Next big thing is rumoured to be a Surface phone. If at all MS wants to capture mobile market, they have to come up with some revolutionary idea that will let its user enjoy Win OS power with android app support coz I dont see windows store reaching any close to IOS and android app store ever. This is something that microsoft should have thought about long time back.

iOS and Android stores are way ahead in the game, but the Surface brand is getting more and more popular, with further developments in the UWP and a new device that grabs attention, there might still be a chance. It may be the last one though.

VinayGera

May 22, 2017
Visit site
iOS and Android stores are way ahead in the game, but the Surface brand is getting more and more popular, with further developments in the UWP and a new device that grabs attention, there might still be a chance. It may be the last one though.

I am pretty sure... In mobile segment, hardware only approach has never done good to its manufacturer.

Event the biggest brands have failed with hardware only approach -

Nokia
Blackberry
Microsoft

MS with its last attempt has to come up with something that brings it closer to android ecosystem. Probably an emulator for windows phone that runs android apps... Or a dual booted phone (Win + Android = Windroid).

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site

The thing about the Surface Laptop (and by extension Windows 10 S) though is that it is aimed at expanding the Windows Store considerably by getting OEMs to target the education sector with low cost devices that run Windows 10 S. Through those devices and the incentive developers have to reach the end users, the Windows Store will begin to grow as more Win32 apps are packaged as UWP. Microsoft's play here is for the long game. They're hoping that once developers use the Desktop Bridge and meet with success there, they will fully convert their apps to UWP over time and thus the number of apps available on Windows 10 Mobile will grow indirectly.

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Waiting for the surface phone... That is also expected to be one of its own kinda device as it will be a phone but unlike any other phone currently available in market.

Anyone aware of surface phone release date?

There most likely won't be a release date this year, perhaps not even next year. The real answer is "when it's ready". Which I fully support because there are few things as confusing to consumers and as frustrating to fans as launching a product before it's ready (Windows 8 anyone?). Also, this approach has worked very well for other companies (Apple and Wizards of the Coast come to mind).

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Just curious: are there any other long time DMs out there who want a Surface Laptop for organizing and running adventures? I know I do. A Surface Pro might actually be better, but I'm used to working with a laptop so I think it would be easier for me.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

hey vinay, not sure on the criteria but a random draw would be the most fair. you should definitely post quality things no matter what; its what helps fuel a discussion. :D good luck!

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

hey eric i totally agree. its an interesting approach to the windows 10 we all know. by making the windows 10 os a more limited os, the risk of threats from .exe files opening and installing anything the user is not aware of completely diminishes. the windows store is a great directory for apps that will only get better over time so i have faith windows 10 s overall will get better over time too.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

all of this can/will tie in to the surface phone if one will be released. hardware-wise i cant even dream of what the surface phone could do or look like, but i hope its a game changer. for the mobile space, which like you said failed miserably, they truly need something ground breaking to succeed. it definitely is possible, but takes a lot of thought and effort especially when the competition is so strong.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they would read and analyze every comment. the posts are numbered, it's probably going to be random

hey jararacaz, yeah i dont think they will read all of the comments in the surface laptop section of the forum which already is in the hundreds (maybe approacing over 1000?). but whatever entry they choose as the winner im sure its because its a solid entry!

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure... In mobile segment, hardware only approach has never done good to its manufacturer.

Event the biggest brands have failed with hardware only approach -

Nokia
Blackberry
Microsoft

MS with its last attempt has to come up with something that brings it closer to android ecosystem. Probably an emulator for windows phone that runs android apps... Or a dual booted phone (Win + Android = Windroid).

thats the thing, no matter the industry there will always be a new "king" as the only other way to go when a brand is on the top is down. if a company cannot adapt, they will get taken out and taken out hard (as in losing millions in revenue). there are devices from OEMs that do dual boot of android and windows, but i am sure microsoft is not going to make android-running devices. they will make software for android, but not products running android. im confident the surface team will do something very interesting, if they do decide to make a phone, but until then we just have to wait and see.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The thing about the Surface Laptop (and by extension Windows 10 S) though is that it is aimed at expanding the Windows Store considerably by getting OEMs to target the education sector with low cost devices that run Windows 10 S. Through those devices and the incentive developers have to reach the end users, the Windows Store will begin to grow as more Win32 apps are packaged as UWP. Microsoft's play here is for the long game.

hey there. now that windows 10 s is becoming a thing, where the user is limited to just one location where they can get apps (windows store), im sure the app availability will steadily grow. companies want to target many users, and if these users branch out to windows 10 s then the companies want to target that audience also. microsoft overcut the competition by making a premium laptop, but realistically a school will probably not buy thousands of those surface laptops for their students to use. rather, like you said microsoft is trying to get OEMs to target the education sector and get those companies to sell to schools and students. its an interesting cohesion of windows 10 s and even cheaper electronics than current day because its still running a great OS, but one that im sure will pay off. especially when it comes to schools that bulk order devices, the less they have to worry about security, failing electronics due to viruses, etc. the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulnipes