Surface Pen Battery(ies)

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Good morning,
My Pen for my Pro 4 recently died and I know it require a AAAA battery (bloody impossible to find) but does it also need coin cell batteries? I read something saying the Pen takes two 319 coin cells but I don't know where they are haha.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Most tablet pens with top buttons (eraser button) are actually two completely separate devices. Not sure about the Surface pen specifically (I only have an HP Wacom pen on hand), but I'm fairly certain it's like this.

The "pen" part uses a AAAA battery, and connects directly to the digitizer when you touch the screen. This part has the pen input itself, and the two buttons near the tip.

The "eraser" part uses two coin cells, and connects as a Bluetooth device to the tablet. This part ONLY has the eraser button that launches Windows Ink Workspace (or whatever you configure it to).

As I said, I don't have a Surface pen, but on my HP pen, when you unscrew the pen and open the AAAA battery compartment, there's a small screw inside the AAAA battery spring. Take out that screw to get to the coin cells inside the eraser part.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Good morning,
My Pen for my Pro 4 recently died and I know it require a AAAA battery (bloody impossible to find) but does it also need coin cell batteries? I read something saying the Pen takes two 319 coin cells but I don't know where they are haha.

They can be found but in the US only apparently - if shipping from US is cheap to your country, then order several plus any other item you fancy

I did that once for getting cheap memory cards

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Most tablet pens with top buttons (eraser button) are actually two completely separate devices. Not sure about the Surface pen specifically (I only have an HP Wacom pen on hand), but I'm fairly certain it's like this.

The "pen" part uses a AAAA battery, and connects directly to the digitizer when you touch the screen. This part has the pen input itself, and the two buttons near the tip.

The "eraser" part uses two coin cells, and connects as a Bluetooth device to the tablet. This part ONLY has the eraser button that launches Windows Ink Workspace (or whatever you configure it to).

As I said, I don't have a Surface pen, but on my HP pen, when you unscrew the pen and open the AAAA battery compartment, there's a small screw inside the AAAA battery spring. Take out that screw to get to the coin cells inside the eraser part.

Thank you. Will I need to replace all three batteries at the same time?

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
No, the two parts are separate, so you only replace batteries in the part that needs it.

So if the pen input stops working, but the eraser button continues to work, just replace the AAAA battery.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
No, the two parts are separate, so you only replace batteries in the part that needs it.

So if the pen input stops working, but the eraser button continues to work, just replace the AAAA battery.

There's a good chance I only need to replace the AAAA battery then. I believe it's still connecting, it's just not registering movements. So it's the digitizer, not the Bluetooth module.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124