Surface Pro 2 -- How is your preformance?

dashbarron

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,

I bought my SP2 in December '13 and been using it rather happily since then. But it has issues. Strange issues. Besides a host of random tablet-desktop interaction things it borks or doesn't do well--or the keyboard issue with games on occasion.

Has anyone noticed the random issues with performance grinding to a hault? Mine seems to happen at random times and only a restart will wipe the Surface of its woes. I could be using the Metro IE or on desktop mode doing simple things like file explorer moving files. But the entire computer lags terribly and it takes a good 20 seconds to do any command. I'm hoping someone has a resolution or an idea on this problem?

Droidophobe

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had all sorts of random issues. Near the top of the list is the touchpad randomly deciding to do (or not do) whatever it wants. The tablet connects and disconnects itself from my wireless network seemingly on a whim, which appears to have resolved after I reinstalled the Marvell driver. Several nights ago, the printing function stopped working and I had to reinstall that printer driver. The Windows store stopped working because of junk in its cache. Etc, etc.

Problems that I've never had before pop up randomly. Most of them seem to be related to driver problems, and my theory is that there are fixes in the Win8 automatic updates that don't work and play well with the existing drivers. IDK, I'm not a computer expert. OTOH, whenever I've called Microsoft tech support about this kind of thing, they've been clueless and I've had to google myself silly trying to find an answer on my own. There are enough Win8 owners out there now that most problems have been identified and solutions found.

Good luck.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No issue with mine. Everything works as expected. Performance is continuous.

As for bugs, the only one I found is specifically playing Civilization 5 touch mode, after some time, the screen randomly start scrolling left. But that sounds like a game bug, but I can't find any info on this issue.

I use my SP2 daily, I use it general purpose, school (including 'special' programs like Maple) and programming on it with various programming languages. I have mine since January, with the i5 4300U CPU, and using the Type Cover 2. System is fully updated.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thats actually not true. I have had Macbooks for years as well as PC's and Im fully 100% PC now. The operating system is still the PC achiles heel. Give devs too much memory and they shortcut too much. As ex developer and company owner who migrated from Apple to PC/Windows its glaringly clear which system has the glitches (as per this thread) its just that Apple is unusable in the real world in terms of compatability and enterprise.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I have is with mondern IE. It'll just stop being responsive for 10 seconds, and it happens often. It's pretty horrible for it to a MS product.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the SP2 runs perfect for me. I mainly use it for browsing, editing/looking at pictures taken with my 1020, creating music, mixing/master music and xbmc...all of which run smooth, fast and never crash. I can happily say after owning my SP2 128GB SSD model since launch that its the best 'risky' decision i made. By 'risky', i mean spending $1000 on a electronic device other than a TV (which ive never done before). Even my wife who for months was scared to touch the thing uses it A LOT, i come home shes on it doing her own stuff and loving the touch+keyboard experience. The product is a winner, too bad not many people know what its capable of (general consumers)...overshadowed by iPads and Nexus tablets.

dashbarron

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
This is a bit disheartning. I was hoping to hear others had the same "grind-to-hault" performance issues and there was some simple cause/solution I was missing.

Nothing like a newest generation CPU tablet with SSD to take 20 seconds to respond to requests to move between folders or browse the internet....

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a SP2/512 and been running it just about full time since 3/28/2014. No grinding-to-a-halt issues for me. In fact, no problems to report for me. I had a really slow performing microSD card with corruption issues but it turned out to be a defective card.

Have you tried launching Task Manager and looking at the app list when the freeze is going on?

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
1st, my SP2 works pretty flawlessly. Don't have many complaints. The keyboard sometimes has glitches that are fixed by un attaching and re attaching the keyboard. It's not really a big deal. Never had an issue with game slowdown, not even on my original SP.

2nd, why does there always have to be someone that brings up apple? I don't even want to hear about it. IF I did, I would go to an apple forum.

3rd, since someone HAD to bring up apple. I've never purchased any apple product (well, I did get a ipod back in the day which broke within 2 weeks). Anyway, I've had 3 graphic design jobs. Each of those jobs tried to set me up with mac pros (the towers). One had duel xenon CPU's, each with 6 cores. It had 32 gigs of ram and duel quarto video cards. Needless to say, that Mac crashed 2-8 times a day, just went strait to the white screen of death. After many attempts to fix it, I finally convinced my boss to replace it with a PC. Almost the same with the other two companies, just problems after problems with the mac's. I'm just glad that I'm now self employed now. It's just me and my PC/SP2!! Life is so awesome and amazing :)

4th (just for the hell of it) Adobe has bugs and crashes no matter what OS you use. Although, I do have better luck on the PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte