Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

Mike Santagata

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Lets all be honest... Windows 10 is a train wreck, and wasn't ready to be released. Here's my ten reasons why I hate windows 10

10) it simply feels unfinished... Half the live tiles don't display correctly, the new live tile animations look cheap and outdated, and most things dont work properly, and the live tiles just look incomplete because they're all the same color.

9) Notification Center- it looks so sloppy. Those toggle switches at the bottom look unfinished, and disorganized. The icons inside the toggle switches are too small,giving the overall interface an unfinished look.

8) Start Menu- Where to begin... The start menu is worse than ever. Its inconsistent.. Some people report being able to have three groups of live tiles horizontally, most are reporting only two, even when in full screen mode. No shortcut to the desktop either, which makes tablet mode difficult to navigate.

7) Tablet mode- a good idea with terrible execution. Tablet mode was designed to make the operating system easy to use on touch screen devices. While it helps, its extremely frustrating and seemingly incomplete. Windows that open, such as edge browser dont have minimize or maximize options, and hardly ever display tue close window option. I get this is where task view comes in, but its unnecessary to make things that complicated. Solution? Allow tablet mode to function EXACTLY like the start screen in 8.1... Enables charms bar, swipe up to see all apps, start menu scrolls horizontally.

6) Desktop mode....why is this even a thing? Creating a shortcut for an app or program to the desktop is extremely difficult, and once done, the icons looks ridiculous, and again, unfinished.

5) Live Tiles- why on gods green earth are these all the same color except a few Microsoft programs? Even office apps are all displaying under my accent color. My start menu looks boring, and with a dark accent color, it makes the apps look like they're broken, especially with gray or black accent color.

4) toggle switches- everything in windows 10 is square....except these pill shaped toggle switches. They're ugly, they don't look right, and hardly ever respond.

3) Round profile picture- again, with everything being squared, why are there round profile pictures? They're so small in most places (start menu and edge browser) that you can hardly even make then out. On top of that, they often appear misplaced.

2) white backgrounds in all system menus..... Why....

1) This isn't effective for touch users. For those who like desktop mode, or windows 7 after a few significant bug fixes., but for everyone using touch devices, jts a nightmare.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've played with it a bit now for half a day and I think your over exaggerating a bit. But to each their own. On point 1, I would agree that its more for desktop users then touch. Although think the touch works and looks well too! But this is exactly why they did it. No matter what you feel...8.1 was a disaster for the majority of people. On that point, what did you expect? Just sayin :)

Caleb Tivendale

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Lets all be honest... Windows 10 is a train wreck, and wasn't ready to be released. Here's my ten reasons why I hate windows 10
Train wreck is going a bit far really, from the 24 hours of use I've had it seems to be a good step up from 7 and fixed the things in 8 (like the start menu) that should have been fixed.

10) it simply feels unfinished... Half the live tiles don't display correctly, the new live tile animations look cheap and outdated, and most things dont work properly, and the live tiles just look incomplete because they're all the same color.
The colour is based off your theme colour. To change it go to Start -> Settings -> Personalisation -> Colours and turn Automatically pick colour from my background off, then you can chose the colour you want

9) Notification Center- it looks so sloppy. Those toggle switches at the bottom look unfinished, and disorganized. The icons inside the toggle switches are too small,giving the overall interface an unfinished look.
You can change the order of the toggles by going to to Start -> Settings -> System -> Notifications and actions. From here you can set the four you want to appear when the toggle menu is collapsed. I agree I would like to be able to turn some off but just keep the menu collapsed for now.

8) Start Menu- Where to begin... The start menu is worse than ever. Its inconsistent.. Some people report being able to have three groups of live tiles horizontally, most are reporting only two, even when in full screen mode. No shortcut to the desktop either, which makes tablet mode difficult to navigate."some people report..." sounds like you haven't used it. Windows Central has posted a guide on how to remove all the live tiles from your start menu if you want, and if you want like tiles there you aren't limited to three groups (I currently have four groups, in three columns). You can EXPAND the start menu by clicking and dragging the right edge.

7) Tablet mode- a good idea with terrible execution. Tablet mode was designed to make the operating system easy to use on touch screen devices. While it helps, its extremely frustrating and seemingly incomplete. Windows that open, such as edge browser dont have minimize or maximize options, and hardly ever display tue close window option. I get this is where task view comes in, but its unnecessary to make things that complicated. Solution? Allow tablet mode to function EXACTLY like the start screen in 8.1... Enables charms bar, swipe up to see all apps, start menu scrolls horizontally.
Slight learning curve I agree, like Edge browser tabs are up the top and you don't need to swipe up from the bottom to show tabs. The thing about table mode is it is meant for tablets (again it sounds like you haven't used it), and why the hell do I need a minimise button on a tablet? If I want to go to another app I swipe from the left (like 8.1) to show all open apps. If I want to use two apps I snap them side by side. If i want to close I hold and swipe down (like 8.1). Oh, and hit the hamburger button to see all apps (better than swipe up because what is on screen is still visible). Also, if you desperately want to see a taskbar in tablet mode (with the open apps and apps you've pinned to the taskbar) then go to Start -> Settings -> System -> Tablet mode and disable "Hide app icons on taskbar in tablet mode".

6) Desktop mode....why is this even a thing? Creating a shortcut for an app or program to the desktop is extremely difficult, and once done, the icons looks ridiculous, and again, unfinished.
Not quite sure what you mean by this. If you are using your PC/tablet with a keyboard and mouse use desktop mode. If you aren't then use tablet mode. If in desktop mode you can right click an icon in the app list and pink to start or pin to the taskbar. If you are in tablet mode you can press and drag an icon into the start screen.

5) Live Tiles- why on gods green earth are these all the same color except a few Microsoft programs? Even office apps are all displaying under my accent color. My start menu looks boring, and with a dark accent color, it makes the apps look like they're broken, especially with gray or black accent color.
The colour is based off your theme colour. To change it go to Start -> Settings -> Personalisation -> Colours and turn Automatically pick colour from my background off, then you can chose the colour you want

4) toggle switches- everything in windows 10 is square....except these pill shaped toggle switches. They're ugly, they don't look right, and hardly ever respond.
Which ones hardly ever respond? They all work for me.

3) Round profile picture- again, with everything being squared, why are there round profile pictures? They're so small in most places (start menu and edge browser) that you can hardly even make then out. On top of that, they often appear misplaced.
You might need to up your OCD meds...

2) white backgrounds in all system menus..... Why....
I agree with this, I mean who would design a system of providing information where the background is white and all the information is displayed in black. You just never see that in the real world, it's almost like the graphic designers were so lazy they spent their whole work days reading books.

1) This isn't effective for touch users. For those who like desktop mode, or windows 7 after a few significant bug fixes., but for everyone using touch devices, jts a nightmare.
I actually think it is a significant improvement over the touch usability of 8.1. Sure there is a bit of a learning curve, but not having that jarring experience of having to run Word on the desktop and then open an app that runs full screen makes using it a whole lot more enjoyable.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
That was productive. Many of us have an issue with this upgrade....mine is it is like pulling teeth to install. Going back to XP is a ridiculous solution.

this isn't a post about having "issues" installing it. its a big whine-fest about nit-picking crap the he read on the interwebs about it.
he doesn't know anything about it yet but he still "hates" it.
The guy with all the red replies showed him how to change or fix about half of his whining.

I don't know why people have such a hard time getting an OS to work. Mine works perfectly, install went perfectly. Have zero issues with it.
Going back to XP was sarcasm. people hate to embrace the new and figure things out. so they cry instead.
Makes me wonder what kind of employees these people like this make. most jobs have a motto, Embrace Change.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
this isn't a post about having "issues" installing it. its a big whine-fest about nit-picking crap the he read on the interwebs about it.
he doesn't know anything about it yet but he still "hates" it.
The guy with all the red replies showed him how to change or fix about half of his whining.

I don't know why people have such a hard time getting an OS to work. Mine works perfectly, install went perfectly. Have zero issues with it.
Going back to XP was sarcasm. people hate to embrace the new and figure things out. so they cry instead.
Makes me wonder what kind of employees these people like this make. most jobs have a motto, Embrace Change.

Zzzzzzzz. I fell asleep on chapter seven.

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't get how it is cumbersome since you can adjust how many apps appear on the right, from zero to all. Ugly? Well I guess that is a matter of opinion for sure. This start menu is far superior to Windows 7. Clicking on a letter to jump to a different one greatly speeds up finding a program, or of course you can search for it (yes I know Win 7 has this). Or if you use the tiles you can have some programs readily available with the Win 10 menu. By far the best Start Menu yet for Windows, with Win 10.

Qre8ive

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

App developers can set a color to this, whoever didn't set it in their app will be turned into the default theme color :).

Mike Santagata

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I sm simply used to running 8.1 on my laptop and sp3, windows 10 complicates everything for touch users. I dislike the operating system and shared my reasons why. No need to call it a whine fest or whatever you said.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I am sorry that you are having so many problems, but I don't think the majority are in your boat.
Poll: How is Windows 10 treating you? | Windows Central

I would agree that some things feel unfinished, but then MS told us that would be the case. It will be an ongoing project with regular updates. I do agree with you though, that something released to the public should be 100% ready to go. As for the rest, I actually like both the start menu and the notification center. My major issues are with Edge, but even there I like where they are going with it. It just needs some polish. I can't comment on tablet mode as I have not used it yet in that way, but the desktop mode seems to work fine for me.

pbike908

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Biggest Reason People don't like WIndows 10 -- IT'S NOT Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 meaning IT'S DIFFERENT.

That said, I was using the preview version for about 6 months -- so I knew it well out of the gate.

The only glaring problem I had on upgrading 2 machines (it was a little tricky to do the actual update I will give you that) is that it installed the wrong touchpad drivers (they were still functional but wonky) and it was tricky to find better touchpad drivers for both machines.

For out of the gate, It's pretty impressive. And long term tech writers -- including Apple writers (not fanboys of course) -- have also given it positive reviews!

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Biggest Reason People don't like WIndows 10 -- IT'S NOT Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 meaning IT'S DIFFERENT.

Exactly. So we should cry and scream like the start button people did until they bring it back more suitable for the touch screens they rammed down our throats. This is just one more incident of them selling us stuff and abandoning them right out of the gate.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Here is what I despise in Win 10 and why I won't upgrade it on my main tablet. My old Gen one Surface got sacrificed to Win 10 for research and feedback purposes. I've been running Win 10 on it for almost a year and have seen every TP build.

1. Taskbars in Tablet mode: I'm using a tablet in Tablet mode why is their this desktop taskbar taking up screen space? The taskbar it not touch friendly and a waste of space. Autohide taskbar also removes it from desktop mode and that setting sync's to other pc's which mean Autohide is not a viable option.

2. No full screen web browsing no Metro IE replacement. Metro IE was by far the best touch web browser ever made. A full browser with full support that provided a full screen web experience that could be navigated through touch. I've tried to recreate that experience in Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Edge and no web browser can duplicate the flow and ease of using Metro IE in a touch screen.

3. Taskview swipe. I hate the swipe to bring up the taskview. I much preferred swiping to scroll through your open apps like flipping a page of a book. The taskview boxes are random and it disturbs the flow of swiping and requires a second hand to touch the app you want to switch to. Win 8.1 swiping you could flip through apps with your thumb

4. Pin to start Metro IE tiles get deleted when you upgrade to Win 10. Sorry that I actually used Win 8.1 and enjoyed Metro IE. I used the pin to start option alot on websites, this option also had some of them be actual live tiles. This is different than "favorites" pint to start tiles get deleted when upgrading to Win 10 and their is no way to carry them over or import them.

These are things that HAVE to be fixed before I will use Win 10 on my main tablet. It is ridiculous how backwards Win 10 went for Tablets.

Tablet mode could have very easily acted more like Win 8.1 and it would not have effected the newer direction MS is going in and would not have effected Desktop users.

Last edited:

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've played with it a bit now for half a day and I think your over exaggerating a bit. But to each their own. On point 1, I would agree that its more for desktop users then touch. Although think the touch works and looks well too! But this is exactly why they did it. No matter what you feel...8.1 was a disaster for the majority of people. On that point, what did you expect? Just sayin :)

Why did they have to nuke all the good things Win 8.1 did well for touch devices just to appease desktop users? Their is now a separate Desktop AND Tablet mode. Making Tablet mode function like Win 8.1 on tablets would have ZERO effect on desktop users. It's like MS screwed up Tablet mode out of spite or something.

Jozef jurcisin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

you are 100% correct is look phucking ugly!
I just can't believe how looks! Is like software from 90s!
Sorry MS but is not professional!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a significant bug related to the touch screen, but other than that the only thing I don't like so far is that the task bar stays visible even when apps are in full screen mode, unless it's set to auto-hide, in which case it also disappears when I'm on the desktop/tablet start menu. They need to fix that, so it disappears when apps are in full screen.
WIndows 10 is FAR from a "train wreck". That's ridiculous hyperbole.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte