The "app gap" between WP8 and Android/iOS isn't as big as you might think...

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
The app gap isn't as bad as people think, its the actual os features that is, maybe not as far as WP to IOS but between WP and Android it is. Still I prefer WP over the others just wish MS would put a little more into there OS.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The App gap is only as big as the most popular official apps (banking apps, instagram, etc), games (Candy Crush, and the ones that usually do come to WP ends up coming way later) and the 'flavor of the month' apps that are popular for a month then die and disappear into obscurity (I think the current one is a game called 2048, theres a bunch of clones but no real 'official' version on WP). The ones that are missing are the ones that matter, not the 500,000+ or so apps that make the quantity difference.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The app gap is still a big issue for me. Many apps for my company are only on iOS and android. It finally got to the point I couldn't do my job without these apps :(

The core OS is fine, update the Facebook app, make all other apps on par with the iOS versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
What apps EXACTLY are you referring to. I have switched from Apple to Android and now to WP. As the guy said, "yes there are a few apps that I don't have," but yet they are coming, but MOST of the apps that Android and iOS have are apps I REALLY don't need. Not to mention, lots of the apps on Android/iOS that I don't have on WP are perfectaly capable of accessing through IE. For example. There is not an official "Regions Bank" app for WP, but (using a 3rd party app) I have been able to create a live tile for Regions Bank forthe mobile web site that actually works better than the app I used on Android. It even allows me to save my username and PW so I don't have to log in (something I couldn't do on the Android app). I can HONESTLY say that there are but a handful of apps that I miss from Android/iOS and I know that those apps are in the works. So, it's just a matter of time before Android/iOS won't be able to claim the "App Gap" reason for avoiding the switch. Also, having used ALL THREE operating systems, I believe WP to be the best, easiest to learn and smoothest, fastest and most reliable. I have NEVER had a lag, restart or freeze on my phone. Also, with each update, WP has increased the speed for earlier model phones. iOS can't claim that as my iPhone4 is slower than dirt with iOS7 installed. To each his/her own, but for me, WP is the BEST!

I'm glad that WP works so well for you, but the stark truth is that it just doesn't for most existing smartphone users (non-WP users, of course).

I'm also really really tired of the "wait and it will come" nonsense. Why should I, as a consumer, be willing to put up with a platform which doesn't do everything I need? We've been waiting for nearly 4 years now.

Inferati

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
There's a huge freaking gap. I love my 925 but this gap has me pissed off at this point to be honest, and the official ones we do have are usually a piece of ****, things like slacker radio, snap chat all that looks freaking amazing on ios and android. Here nope its a half a**** version of the apps on other markets. Can't wait to switch back, I used to think its only a matter of time. Now I just think why should I keep waiting f*** this I'm going somewhere else. I'll try again in the future but as of right now I can't deal with it anymore.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad that WP works so well for you, but the stark truth is that it just doesn't for most existing smartphone users (non-WP users, of course).

I'm also really really tired of the "wait and it will come" nonsense. Why should I, as a consumer, be willing to put up with a platform which doesn't do everything I need? We've been waiting for nearly 4 years now.

Because what you need I'd food, water and air. Air is around you, so no need for that on a phone. Windows Phone had local scout which helps with the food, which you can Instagram while eating, then add in the drink and take a picture of the full meal. Then you have the share feature which puts it up on the net faster than Android and IOS. Bam. Everything you need, everything else is a bonus.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Because what you need I'd food, water and air. Air is around you, so no need for that on a phone. Windows Phone had local scout which helps with the food, which you can Instagram while eating, then add in the drink and take a picture of the full meal. Then you have the share feature which puts it up on the net faster than Android and IOS. Bam. Everything you need, everything else is a bonus.

Unfortately my job puts food on the table, and windows phone currently doesn't help with it, thou the core OS is the best IMHO, the app gap is frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think the last item on the "OMG my head will explode if I buy a Windows Phone because it doesn't have _ and I can't live without it" list was Instagram. Now that they have that all of the major apps are available. As other have already stated, going by sheer volume is foolish because there are so many duplicative apps in the other stores. The less apps argument officially became lame a few months ago.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It's never been easier to get adults to switch, but the app gap is still enormous. Yes, WP has caught up, but there is a LOT of garbage in the store. I'd say the ratio is a little worse than Play Store (also overrun with garbage).

Banking apps alone are enough to kill it.

I've gotten by and found apps for just about everything I need, and luckily my bank has a sick mobile site that functions as the Android app does, but come on. WP doesn't have nearly enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria