The Kinect Thread

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Earlier videos seemed to have less latency.

Also anyone paid attention how the middle section of the Kinect was "blinking" with some purple'ish lights while in use?

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Also anyone paid attention how the middle section of the Kinect was "blinking" with some purple'ish lights while in use?

Could that just be the camera picking up the infrared LEDs that a naked eye cannot see?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

That's the thing that concerns me. I don't have enough faith in the technology's reaction time. The first one was SUUUUPER slow.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if Kinect 2.0 extenstion cables can use the same as kinect 1.0 ? Or does anyone know of a good detailed image of the cable coming out from the new Kinect to see if it's a USB 3.0 connector or a non-standard connector.

My Xbox now, uses a 25' Kinect cable from where it's located, I need the same for the xbox one, I would love to be able to access this cable before getting this system so setting it up in one place to stay would be great, or I would have make a temp setup and move it later (after I get a long cable for it)

I know it comes with a 3 meter cable (9 feet) but, I need longer, a lot longer..

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I think developers will be more open to using Kinect this time around as it's a requirement and everyone with a One will have it.

All PS3 controllers have Sixaxis motion control built-in. A few developers utilized it in the beginning, but it quickly trailed off where it basically has no support now. In other words, just because everyone with an Xbox One will have Kinect doesn't mean developers will support it in meaningful ways if at all.

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Kinect + controller could equal precise steering in driving games. It would be fantastic to be able to just tilt the controller just like a steering wheel.

You mean like the Sixaxis, PlayStation Move, Wii controller and that U-shaped wheel Microsoft released alongside Forza 4? It's been done to death and most gamers-if sales numbers are anything to go by-prefer the standard dual-analog setup or a real force feedback wheel.

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if Kinect 2.0 extenstion cables can use the same as kinect 1.0 ? Or does anyone know of a good detailed image of the cable coming out from the new Kinect to see if it's a USB 3.0 connector or a non-standard connector.

My Xbox now, uses a 25' Kinect cable from where it's located, I need the same for the xbox one, I would love to be able to access this cable before getting this system so setting it up in one place to stay would be great, or I would have make a temp setup and move it later (after I get a long cable for it)

I know it comes with a 3 meter cable (9 feet) but, I need longer, a lot longer..

I'm pretty sure it will require a new cable, same as they have a non-standard cable for the new controllers. So you can expect to pay $19.99 for that extension cable and another $19.99 for any type of MS-branded wall mount.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it will require a new cable, same as they have a non-standard cable for the new controllers. So you can expect to pay $19.99 for that extension cable and another $19.99 for any type of MS-branded wall mount.

Has anyone seen or has access to pictures of the cables on the Kinect ? I thought I saw them someplace. Normally the MS Kinect cable for like 20' was $50, and that was crazy. Monoprice.com yea, Kinect 20' cable like $10...

Just want to get it pre-wired before it comes in to save a wiring hassle..

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
All PS3 controllers have Sixaxis motion control built-in. A few developers utilized it in the beginning, but it quickly trailed off where it basically has no support now. In other words, just because everyone with an Xbox One will have Kinect doesn't mean developers will support it in meaningful ways if at all.

The Last of Us used the Sixaxis pretty well. When your flashlight was 'dying' in the game, you'd shake your controller to give it more juice. Subtle, but still added to the atmosphere of the game.

And, I could also say that the first Sixaxis had no rumble in it and when it was implemented back into the controller you saw every game take advantage of it.

Rumble is still the most successful 'addon' since the N64 rumble-pak back in 1997 or so... - Microsoft is hoping developers latch onto Kinect like they did with Rumble...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I would say that dual joysticks had an even-bigger impact. They really allowed you to play in three dimensions properly. Could you imagine trying to play a FPS like Halo on the original PlayStation controller or a Nintendo 64 one?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's true Keith, but rumble was an accessory that you got with Star Fox 64. Then lots of games started using it. And gamers latched on to it (though I remember the naysayers back then - I don't need rumble, it doesn't add anything! those same naysayers came out when the PS3 didn't originally have rumble in its controller too).

But you're right. the dual stick controller was another feature. But, I think that was necessitated by the types of games people were wanting to make. It was going to happen I believe no matter what as developers tried to come up with some way to translate PC-type games to consoles (FPS' mainly and 3rd person action games).

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well I think there are many aspects to the Kinect in that sense. I think the Rumble-example is more of a quality of life-addon that made its way into baseline, while dual joystick was more of a "primary input method"-kind of thing. I see Kinect aiming to make an impact in both of these categories. It has the "quality of life" aspects to it, some pretty trivial things that wont make or break gaming (like rumble), and then Microsoft is trying to sort of make the same kind of revolution in input methods that dual joysticks did with the actual gaming input part too.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not going to lie, this doesn't give me any reassurance. It takes just one update with a mile-long Terms of Service to sneak in both the ability and permission to do this. At least it's not doing so now, at least.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss