The reason I want the HTC 8S

anon(4786615)

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Since Nokia has so many issues and is late in The Netherlands, I don't want a Nokia Lumia anymore. Last year I was super excited about the Lumia 920 and I told everyone about it, but the camera issues and the battery issues are freaking annoying. I don't like the 8X because of no upgradable memory, so I want the 8S. I like WP8 very much and I will not rest till I have my WP. Do you think this is a good choise for me? I'm not a power user nor I have had a smartphone before.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Be aware that certain apps require at least 1GB of RAM and the 8S only has 512MB. Granted, that only applies to a very (very) small selection of games.

Also, there's no front facing camera, if you're into that sort of thing.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Well if u look at it from the future perspective, its a bit of a let down...512 MB RAM is redundant...they could have given us a phone without any RAM at all...
And the 4GB internal memory is just something u need to be careful about. Not saying its a pain but just be aware. U will be left with 1.X GB ONLY.

Like u said u are not a power user, I think u will be fine. Its more of an entry level phone and a very basic one. Don't have high hope it. Even if u have a mail account with tons of mails, the space/memory will just vanish.

But the positives -

Small and perfect in size
Best design of all the current WP8 devices
BEATS audio
Higher PPI
HTC Apps (weather lock screen etc)

Sent from my DROID RAZR on JB.

anon(4786615)

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Be aware that certain apps require at least 1GB of RAM and the 8S only has 512MB. Granted, that only applies to a very (very) small selection of games.

Also, there's no front facing camera, if you're into that sort of thing.
I'm not a (mobile) gamer, so that's no problem for me. The only thing I don't like is 4GB memory, that's a little bit low. But I don't need off-line maps or big things like that. I think I don't use the front camera. But the phone looks incredibly well for it's price.

Well if u look at it from the future perspective, its a bit of a let down...512 MB RAM is redundant...they could have given us a phone without any RAM at all...
And the 4GB internal memory is just something u need to be careful about. Not saying its a pain but just be aware. U will be left with 1.X GB ONLY.

Like u said u are not a power user, I think u will be fine. Its more of an entry level phone and a very basic one. Don't have high hope it. Even if u have a mail account with tons of mails, the space/memory will just vanish.

But the positives -

Small and perfect in size
Best design of all the current WP8 devices
BEATS audio
Higher PPI
HTC Apps (weather lock screen etc)

You seem very negative about the phone. 512MB is a bit low, but not that low as you suggest. Almost all apps work fine with 512MB. Indeed, 4GB is very low, but I have a SD card with 32GB memory. All my music and stuff is on that.

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
As stated youll only get 1.8GB of the 4GB internal storage because its taken up by the OS and the "other" section. I bet you'd be able to get about 25/30 apps tops on your phone and then photos and video would need to be on the SD card.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
You seem very negative about the phone. 512MB is a bit low, but not that low as you suggest. Almost all apps work fine with 512MB. Indeed, 4GB is very low, but I have a SD card with 32GB memory. All my music and stuff is on that.

I'm sorry I come across as someone negative. Actually I myself plan to get 8S. Was just stating the facts. Like I said "from a future perspective" 512 is less. Games and apps may not like that 512 chip in the phone. Already there are some games in the market that NEED 1GB or RAM...so was just saying...but I love the phone...

anon(4786615)

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry I come across as someone negative. Actually I myself plan to get 8S. Was just stating the facts. Like I said "from a future perspective" 512 is less. Games and apps may not like that 512 chip in the phone. Already there are some games in the market that NEED 1GB or RAM...so was just saying...but I love the phone...

I didn't mean to offence you of course. I only think 512MB isn't that important as you stated. But yes, it is a bit low. I love the phone too and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one :) !

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
512 of Ram & 4gb are deal breakers...sad since its such a cool looking device. Wait for a 920 and future proof yourself. My 920 works flawlessly and the camera is great. Thus not sure what camera issues you refer to...out of the box it took better photos than my friends iPhone 5

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I didn't mean to offence you of course. I only think 512MB isn't that important as you stated. But yes, it is a bit low. I love the phone too and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one :) !

:) almost all my friends love the 8S...its so sleek its not funny...the only issue though for me is not even the RAM/internal memory but the lack of Front Facing Camera.. :|

I just need to ask myself if I realllllllyyy NEED one...otherwise I am pretty sorted..

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I've made up a list of apps I want, and calculated total space and it comes out to roughly 150 mb - none of which will suck the memory dry. Also, I have a total of two emails that I'll activate on here, and limit how many days I'll keep my work emails on the phone to three. I'm pretty much good to go.

Now if Canada Customs could just get their act together and release the damn thing to the post office...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I've made up a list of apps I want, and calculated total space and it comes out to roughly 150 mb - none of which will suck the memory dry. Also, I have a total of two emails that I'll activate on here, and limit how many days I'll keep my work emails on the phone to three. I'm pretty much good to go.

Now if Canada Customs could just get their act together and release the damn thing to the post office...

Perfect. That's what I need to do. Simple. Thanks crystal_planet for the idea. Oh and BTW, price of the Indian LUMIA 820/920 is out. Its so expensive its stopped being funny.

anon(4786615)

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I've ordered the HTC 8S, if everything goes right I will have it on monday. After a week of use I will write my thoughts about the device. So far, it's a beautifully designed device and I desire it with my heart. My preciousssssss :p

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Perfect. That's what I need to do. Simple. Thanks crystal_planet for the idea. Oh and BTW, price of the Indian LUMIA 820/920 is out. Its so expensive its stopped being funny.

That pretty much reflects unlocked pricing I looked at online. The 820 was only about 50.00 cheaper than an 8X so I gave it a pass. The 920 is the most expensive Windows Phone unlocked by far but the king is an unlocked 64gb iPhone 5. The asking price is criminal.

The nice thing about the 8S is the price - unbelievably inexpensive, but they really should have bumped up the storage to 8gb - they could have boosted the price enough to cover the extra cost and would have sold more units as a result.

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Please remember that 150mb is onlt the download size, the actual size will be bigger as that data is stored in the "other" section of the phone. So 150mb of app downloads could actually take up 500mb. Then as you use the apps they will cache data.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Please remember that 150mb is onlt the download size, the actual size will be bigger as that data is stored in the "other" section of the phone. So 150mb of app downloads could actually take up 500mb. Then as you use the apps they will cache data.
True, but the first thing I will do after initial setup will probably download and install the apps, then setup my emails etc, and tweak the phone to use as little space as possible. I can't believe that HTC would make a handset so crippled as to render it unusable.

By now I should hope people who are interested in the 8S know what they're in for. I'm willing to give it a fair shake, but actually I'm very curious as to what MS has up its sleeve in regards in regards to the rumored Surface Phone. That one is the true prize I have my eyes on.

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
i have the Phone, and I love it. It just never lags at all, and I have never faced any problems about the memory shortage. I downloaded some of the most intens graphical games and they runned without any lag. It's just that I don't like playing games on my Phone, but it's a cool benchmarktest. Alright, now go and buy that Phone.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I say if don't mind waiting see what will be coming out of CES I heard about some windows phone will be making an appearances :wink:

flierman

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the 8S and I am really satisifed except the sound/volumne/crackling sound issue...but some people say the Beats Audio update will solve it, I havent received it yet so I dont know.

Phone is really slick and fast and responsive and since I dont use so many apps I have no problem with memory.

john335

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
There is one thing you are forgeting , WP8 is not Android , it does not need the use of extreme hardware to run smoothly , so dont apply Android hardware rules to this phone because it just doesn't need them. Lately, mobile phone companies ran out of ideas of innovation and the only way to go up is with the hardware , tell me , do you really NEED 4 cores of processing power on you phone , its absurd , no software on earth these days needs such power , but marketing gets the best of us, and to get back to my ideea..... HTC 8S is in essence a SMART buy .... great phone, great build , huge battery life compared to Androids and of course pretty cheap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)