The ridiculous hype for a terrible lock screen app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpal12

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
When opening the app for the first time a message box pops up askin if you want to set this app as the live lockscreen app? It may be possible for other apps to set a live
​lockscreen.

henilp89

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
ya. .i didnt like the app.. maybe i used it for 5 minutes.. as much as i luv microsoft.. i gotta stay away from their products.. i luved nokia too..

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Pro tip: Complaining and whining are different from giving feedback.

Example of cry-babying:
- Ugh app so slow laggy etc. I uninstall!! Kk bye

Example of a feedback:
- App is noticeably laggy and slow.

Don't attack. Discuss.

Pro tip: i agree with you. But if a user projects himself to complain about an app on a blog, be sure that is a feedback that has a face value by itself. People are pissed because Microsoft keeps creating hype out of nothing. We're coming with a new update (GDR 1965) which will bring groundbreaking changes. Update comes and has 50% of what all others have and misses half of the things it needs. The missing parts are justified as "WP is different, for people who understand it" (And some indeed buy into it). People do the same. Feel cheated, go on blogs and vent rage. The ProTip in that irrational rage is people are pissed of being mocked by a company. 18.000 workers laid off speak tons of what not listening to consumer does. I agree it has to be constructive. In this case pissed users are an information by itself. Microsoft is reaching the limits of user's patience with WP. The moment where users stop providing feedback (which stays unheard..since a keyboard input was asked in 2011 and it's still nowhere to be seen, for example) and just get angry. Best feedback ever, if one wants to listen. Humble opinion here...not God in human disguise

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I went through all the options, and said "meh".

I would like to see an interactive lock screen. Example: Music. Instead of just having the drop down, press to skip forward/back/pause. Have it display the artist background, show the album art. But swipe left or right on the album art to skip foreword/back songs in the play list.

But keep the swipe up to unlock.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
EDIT:I meant for this to be a reply to someone in particular but messed up.

They are giving us a chance to check it out and provide feedback with the exact recommendations you are talking about. Why complain about it to us, why not send a quick note to MS with these suggestions?

Nevermind...I'll just do it for you and say I came up with it.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
About the diagonal layout, it will be nice if it's a running text animation like in Zune.
Actually, the diagonal text layout does looks like one of Zune's idle screen layout, only without the movements.
Example: www.youtube.com/ watch?v=FfVTUSPuVZI (starts in 25")
Pushing it forward, get the notifications from the OS and then display it all in texts. Currently only one notification can be presented in details in Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 lock screen, the rest will just give numbers. And don't forget to fade the background for readability.

Now, expectation for the lock screen apps in one sentence: a Metro-styled reimagination of lock screen widgets manager
Tall request, but they never tell us the limitation beforehand

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a problem with this app. It is still in beta. Rudy huyn is involved he is so good at apps that is why Microsoft is using him. Give the app a chance.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, if the thread title shows it, the problem is not much technical as it is yet another Microsoft PR failure of unable to control the hype before it went out of hand.
If they're clear about what the lock screen apps would do, we might not be as excited, but also less complaining because we knew what we will get.

3lmanana

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
The main problem of this app is main concept, not its development stage (beta, rtm...). Having another useless lockscreen with swipe up and down interactivity is disappointing.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, if the thread title shows it, the problem is not much technical as it is yet another Microsoft PR failure of unable to control the hype before it went out of hand.
If they're clear about what the lock screen apps would do, we might not be as excited, but also less complaining because we knew what we will get.

Good point. If this was just considered to be a 'funny' app it would be totally fine. But at BUILD they gave way higher expectations. It was part of the future of windows phone, part of the grand opening presentation.

Keith Kerswell

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
So this app has been developed for months, and this is what they come up with?
I'm not a fan of putting down other peoples effort but this sentence above does sum up my thoughts on the app. However, I will continue to use it until I find something on it that is truly annoying....if I am able to that is.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I installed this app and I am not really amazed about it... It needs improvements but I keep it... Looking forward to next update.

3lmanana

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
There's no excuses... Everything MS makes in this year is in beta or very funny development (music, video, games hub...). No excuses for a company this big. Also lockscreen app in its concepts - there needs to be more interaction on this thing.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I like this app and it runs smoothly on my phone. There are a couple of the designs I definitely prefer over Microsoft's stock lock screen.

There are only two negatives I have to point out at this point, and both regard usability:
  1. It takes a longer upward swipe to actually open the lock screen with this app. It's almost as if the first 3/4 of the swipe is used to clear the animations first, then finally the last 1/4 allows you to get to your home screen.
  2. There is too long of a delay between unlocking your phone and being able to actually access/manipulate your home screen. With the stock lock screen, you are immediately able to click on a tile once the phone is unlocked. I'm assuming this is because this is running as an app, and not as part of the OS.

More designs and other visual adjustments can be had down the road; that is not the concern for now. Focus on the usability enhancements first. Otherwise good job to the developer and hope it ends up where you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254