Topo app?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, is there an app in the Store that will let you pull up a USGS topo map, let you track your location on said map and then also store tracks and waypoints. Then also download your tracks as a .KML or .GPX file?
It would be helpful if the app could run in the background so as to be able to record your complete track.

Any suggestions?

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I really need something to track and create .gpx files in the background (.kml would work too) and have not found anything yet that does this.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I really need something to track and create .gpx files in the background (.kml would work too) and have not found anything yet that does this.

This is an example of what I am talking about the WP ecosystem not being mature. I shouldn't have to hunt or wait for an app that is already existing in the other ecosystems.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is an example of what I am talking about the WP ecosystem not being mature. I shouldn't have to hunt or wait for an app that is already existing in the other ecosystems.

We all know the apps are limited. You don't need to remind us. The app store is growing daily. Rome was not built in a day

No offence but maybe you should have done more research before purchasing a windows phone? I knew what I was getting into before I did.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Update: I tried it this morning and it works as described. I had trouble exporting .gpx to skydive, but it will also paste it into the body of an email so you can paste it into a file. Pretty easy. I'm not sure yet if you can save calibration for multiple images, I still want to try loading a different map and see what happens if I reload this.

The OP can download a topo, convert from PDF to png or jpeg, calibrate it with 2 or 3 points (or 1 and a scale) and he should be good to go. I like it, I rated 4 stars (5 stars if it had a few other features).

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
We all know the apps are limited. You don't need to remind us. The app store is growing daily. Rome was not built in a day

No offence but maybe you should have done more research before purchasing a windows phone? I knew what I was getting into before I did.

Sigh, ttsoldier, I've been in this ecosystem for years. Ive seen it grow. The most in the last 6mo. My frustration is that after all these years it's still where it is, smack dab in 3rd (4th if you talk to some others.).
I knew what I was getting into years ago when I went down this road. I was an evangelist. I preached WP to many people. I converted some. I even went so far as to acquire a "demo" phone I loaned out to people for weeks and months at a time. I did this because I BELIEVED IN IT. I wanted to see it succeed. I truly did. Don't assume I did not know what I was getting into. I did and I was hoping it would come along. Im still a fan, but there are just somethings that are getting old.

And it is my right and prerogative to complain. I am the CONSUMER. If we as consumers dont voice our opinion of what we want, we will be forced to accept whatever is put upon us. We as consumers have a responsibility to voice our opinions.
But getting back to the point at hand, I will try out that other topo app. I tried it when it was first released and it didnt work well on my Trophy. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tom Crosman

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Geogps is Awsome. Does everything you need. Takes a bit to learn because the documentation is poor. But once you learn it its great. Free topo maps, import of tracks and waypoint, export the same. Saving to skydrive. I use it for wheeling and love it.

trinkner

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Do you know if GeoGPS let you download USGS topo maps? I do a lot of hiking in Colorado and have come to love ViewRanger on Symbian (it's also available on Android and iOS). Can I use GeoGPS to download USGS topo maps so that I can use the app to find my way when I'm far from data coverage?

Same question for MapSnap. If I understood the post above, MapSnap lets you import your own jpg of an area and then calibrate the coordinates of the jpg. Sounds a bit fussy. Anybody done this with a USGS topo map?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h