Track WP8.1 + Lumia Cyan Rollout!

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Why wasn't cyan released to everyone around the same time? Why do I have to wait on Verizon? Why can't I get the update? And why isn't there an exact date that I can get it? I don't like not getting it for months and not knowing when I will get it.

Pavla

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to report that Cyan has been rolled out for the 620 CV in the Netherlands. Quite rare to see a release on a saturday, but still very nice.

pattyland

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Why wasn't cyan released to everyone around the same time? Why do I have to wait on Verizon? Why can't I get the update? And why isn't there an exact date that I can get it? I don't like not getting it for months and not knowing when I will get it.

Good questions here... Especially for an iPhone user, who is used to get exactly that...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Good questions here... Especially for an iPhone user, who is used to get exactly that...

Because there are only 12 iPhone variants to test and upgrade but >100 Windows Phone 8 device variants. Sounds wrong I know, but the carrier customization (different radio firmware, carrier reporting apps and boot logos and installed apps) mean there a lot more variants of each phone type. Sure there may only be say 20 phones, but when each one has say 20 different firmware's, that's a lot of testing going on (e.g. 20x20 = 400 variants).

Now if Microsoft didn't permit so many carrier tweaks then it could be like an iPhone, but half the delays are due to the low volume not making carriers have a high importance to test along with the sheer number of variants that have to be signed off before the updates are pushed out.

At least unlike Android even 2 year old phones are all going to basically be updated to the latest firmware and gain the latest features.

Tinkerdog

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Because there are only 12 iPhone variants to test and upgrade but >100 Windows Phone 8 device variants. Sounds wrong I know, but the carrier customization (different radio firmware, carrier reporting apps and boot logos and installed apps) mean there a lot more variants of each phone type. Sure there may only be say 20 phones, but when each one has say 20 different firmware's, that's a lot of testing going on (e.g. 20x20 = 400 variants).
Now if Microsoft didn't permit so many carrier tweaks then it could be like an iPhone, but half the delays are due to the low volume not making carriers have a high importance to test along with the sheer number of variants that have to be signed off before the updates are pushed out.

At least unlike Android even 2 year old phones are all going to basically be updated to the latest firmware and gain the latest features.

Uh....... Verizon only has 3.... THREE Windows Phones to update..... the 822, the 928 and the ICON.
That makes 3 variants to update. Just three. How long does it take to test THREE variants ??? When they have already placed the SAME base code on their new Windows Phones which are selling as we speak? How LONG did it take them to test these phones, package them and put them up for sale.....

We languish in despair............. Verizon, YOU SUCK !

Pradeep Kumar20

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
All - I have updated my L620 (India) through NSRT and it's really good... I couldn't see much improvement in performance (specially battery and camera) though but the feel is quite good.

However, i have a question: I changed my location and language to US in order to check into Cortana. But unfortunately, i couldn't find that in my phone. Finally, i had to change my location back to India.... Noted: we need to reset the phone every time in case of location change.

Any tips to get the feel of Cortana would be appreciated!

deep wpdev

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
All - I have updated my L620 (India) through NSRT and it's really good... I couldn't see much improvement in performance (specially battery and camera) though but the feel is quite good.

However, i have a question: I changed my location and language to US in order to check into Cortana. But unfortunately, i couldn't find that in my phone. Finally, i had to change my location back to India.... Noted: we need to reset the phone every time in case of location change.

Any tips to get the feel of Cortana would be appreciated!
Change Region US
Language English US
Speech English US
Location Off

It should prompt you to download additional language, and it installs like update. I.e. Spinning wheels.
One done, restart, go to settings, applications, Cortana should be there, first entry.
Enable
You are all set

Did this on 620 and 920, India

iambengreen

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Now receiving Cyan for the Lumia 1020 on Three UK!

Edit: Have to update twice to get Cyan. The first update which gets installed 'prepares' your phone for Cyan apparently, that's what message came up anyway after the first update.

Cyan available.png

Last edited:

Gizmogremlin79

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
So, my L920 in CV/Norway have had the "Available" status from Nokia for some time now. But my phone refuses to uppgrade to Cyan.

I'm a bit noob, but does my simcard have to be inserted in the phone for the update to appear?

decaf19

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
So, my L920 in CV/Norway have had the "Available" status from Nokia for some time now. But my phone refuses to uppgrade to Cyan.

I'm a bit noob, but does my simcard have to be inserted in the phone for the update to appear?

No the SIM has nothing to do with it...if you are on Developer Preview you must downgrade to 8.0 then it will detect cyan. Use Nokia software recovery tool to downgrade. The release of cyan to DP phones gas not been enabled for most devices

Gizmogremlin79

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
No the SIM has nothing to do with it...if you are on Developer Preview you must downgrade to 8.0 then it will detect cyan. Use Nokia software recovery tool to downgrade. The release of cyan to DP phones gas not been enabled for most devices
Ok. But as far as I know, I'm not on Developer Preview on my phone. Just need to wait some more then, I guess...

decaf19

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok. But as far as I know, I'm not on Developer Preview on my phone. Just need to wait some more then, I guess...

Go to settings and list your OS Version under the about section. If you aren't on DP then the next step would be to see what ROM is on the phone because it may be from another location. In settings go to extras and info then list the manufacturer name under more info.

HishamElfar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 on Three in the UK is finally receiving the pre-Cyan update!

Edit: Now it's installing the 8.1/Cyan update too. Happy Days.

Last edited:

Pradeep Kumar20

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Change Region US
Language English US
Speech English US
Location Off

It should prompt you to download additional language, and it installs like update. I.e. Spinning wheels.
One done, restart, go to settings, applications, Cortana should be there, first entry.
Enable
You are all set

Did this on 620 and 920, India

Does your App Store works after changing everything to US?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4