Track WP8.1 + Lumia Cyan Rollout!

Tinkerdog

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I see where this is the latest news..... " MetroPCS Lumia 521 is the latest to receive Windows Phone 8.1 and Cyan" MetroPCS Lumia 521 is the latest to receive Windows Phone 8.1 and Cyan | Windows Central

Appears the might Verizon just got bested by the lowliest of competitors.

How embarrassing.

I dunno.... we might see the update AFTER Black Friday..... AFTER Verizon sells a ton of new phones with 8.1 and Cyan on them already.... THEN they might toss us a bone and release the update..... you KNOW THEY have had that update ready to go for months and are sitting on it... THEY don't give a rats *** about us previous windows phone owners.....

Switch to some other carrier and stick it to em them only way you can..... Verizon you suck :devil:

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I recently loaded 8.1 DP on my 928. While the enhanced feature set is good, it does have some peculiarities (lagging, poor battery life, IE is funky, etc.). I'm fairly tech literate; I can see where these issues would drive a less capable user nuts, and create a support nightmare.

I can't say if Cyan would alleviate any or all of these, or what other "bugs" might rear their ugly heads on my phone.

The delay seems inordinate -- but if it IS due to getting these problems fixed prior to rolling out to all users it's understandable.

What is troublesome is the silence from Verizon as to why the delay; ANY feedback would be welcome. I'd rather they tell me up front they're making sure the transition is as seamless and trouble free as possible. Tweet out status updates; leverage "getting it right" instead of muted "we don't care" silence.

Years ago Tylenol (J&J) wrote the book on managing PR disasters by being up front and honest; surely Verizon can follow in their footsteps. . .

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm calling shenanigans on Verizon's entire handling of the 8.1 update. If they were having issues with it on their system then how did they release the HTC One with 8.1 already installed?? I believe that Verizon's timeline to release 8.1 is tied to the exclusivity they had with the HTC One. Now that it has expired, they are making up some BS about bugs to push their release date out ever farther in hopes of selling a few more HTC One devices. If I didn't get my Lumia 928 from work, I'd switch to AT&T for a 32 GB version of the 1520.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I see where this is the latest news..... " MetroPCS Lumia 521 is the latest to receive Windows Phone 8.1 and Cyan" MetroPCS Lumia 521 is the latest to receive Windows Phone 8.1 and Cyan | Windows Central

Appears the might Verizon just got bested by the lowliest of competitors.

How embarrassing.

I dunno.... we might see the update AFTER Black Friday..... AFTER Verizon sells a ton of new phones with 8.1 and Cyan on them already.... THEN they might toss us a bone and release the update..... you KNOW THEY have had that update ready to go for months and are sitting on it... THEY don't give a rats *** about us previous windows phone owners.....

Switch to some other carrier and stick it to em them only way you can..... Verizon you suck :devil:

Good point about black Friday.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I recently loaded 8.1 DP on my 928. While the enhanced feature set is good, it does have some peculiarities (lagging, poor battery life, IE is funky, etc.). I'm fairly tech literate; I can see where these issues would drive a less capable user nuts, and create a support nightmare.

I can't say if Cyan would alleviate any or all of these, or what other "bugs" might rear their ugly heads on my phone.

The delay seems inordinate -- but if it IS due to getting these problems fixed prior to rolling out to all users it's understandable.

What is troublesome is the silence from Verizon as to why the delay; ANY feedback would be welcome. I'd rather they tell me up front they're making sure the transition is as seamless and trouble free as possible. Tweet out status updates; leverage "getting it right" instead of muted "we don't care" silence.

Years ago Tylenol (J&J) wrote the book on managing PR disasters by being up front and honest; surely Verizon can follow in their footsteps. . .
Given the post above I hereby retract this statement.

If Verizon will leave WP hanging, they will leave ANY OS hanging. When my contract is up and I'm considering new phones I'm leaving.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I was running DP on my 928 and didn't have any of those issues. Heck, other than the BT LE being stripped out, my 928 ran awesome.

jbclemons

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I updated my Icon with DP and am also seeing the lagging on wakeup to start screen - i've tweaked Cortana off/on/background on/off and a slew of other 'fixes', but it only seems to improve temporarily - then i'm back to hitting the power button and wondering if I actually hit it hard enough, then the start screen pops up (sometimes as long as 3 seconds delay). Also notice some odd IE performance in 'mobile' mode, but who wants to run in 'normal' mode all the time? Battery performance is great for a while, then 3 or 4 apps get autoupdated at once and I have to back through Battery Saver and find the new offender stealing resources (although at least the Battery Saver app is a great improvement itself).

Just thought I'd mention this, because from my googling it's not such an "extreme" case.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I updated my Icon with DP and am also seeing the lagging on wakeup to start screen - i've tweaked Cortana off/on/background on/off and a slew of other 'fixes', but it only seems to improve temporarily - then i'm back to hitting the power button and wondering if I actually hit it hard enough, then the start screen pops up (sometimes as long as 3 seconds delay). Also notice some odd IE performance in 'mobile' mode, but who wants to run in 'normal' mode all the time? Battery performance is great for a while, then 3 or 4 apps get autoupdated at once and I have to back through Battery Saver and find the new offender stealing resources (although at least the Battery Saver app is a great improvement itself).

Just thought I'd mention this, because from my googling it's not such an "extreme" case.
Try a hard reset....

Carl Anderson

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
and now it appears Microsoft has completely removed the 'status" column from the availability page (can't post link < 10), so the VZW customers can't tell where it is in the process.

AWESOME!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheStivo