[Tutorial] How to run the Creators update on your older Lumia device

B_Hawk

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Dear folks!

As you might have heard, not all Windows Mobile devices are eligible for the Creators update (feature 2 update). If you haven't got one of these 13 devices, you'd be out of luck:

HP Elite x3
Microsoft Lumia 550
Microsoft Lumia 640/640XL
Microsoft Lumia 650
Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL
Alcatel IDOL 4S
Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL
SoftBank 503LV
VAIO Phone Biz
MouseComputer MADOSMA Q601
Trinity NuAns NEO

As sad as this news might be, there is light at the end of the tunnel. There is a way to get your device to update and run the latest software available, but it is a bit tricky and you would have to do it on your own responsibility. I am not responsible if anyone end up with a bricked device, so do it on your own risk.

Edit: This tutorial is for devices already running any version of Windows 10 Mobile, for Windows Phone 8.1, I will have to look for another way to get your device the latest software upgrade available.

1- Enable developer mode for your phone:
Settings > For developers > Enable Developer mode.

2- Download Interop Tools XAP. You can find it here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71000190&postcount=607
You need to download "Dependencies_ARM.zip" and "InteropTools_1.9.437.0_arm_RC3.zip"

3- Extract both zipped folders, this will give you 6 files in total.

4- On your phone, run all of these files, but keep "InteropToolsApp_1.9437.0_arm.appxbundle" to last. When running any of them, there would be a dialog box asking to "Install app?", press install. Then continue until all 6 of them are run.

5- Go to your apps list, here you will find a new app downloaded "Interop Tools (RC)". Run the app.

6- Enable crash reporting, next, Enable Authentication, next, Press "THIS DEVICE".

7- Click on the hamburger menu, if there isn't an "Unlock" button showing, then you need to re-run all of the files done in step 4 again. Restart your device, then go to step (5).

8- After pressing the hamburger menu, press Unlock > Interop Unlock > Enable "Restore NDTKSvc" option. If it keeps switching off when pressed, turn off your phone, turn it on again, then repeat this step. It should be able to turn on now.

9- After enabling "Restore NDTKSvc", wait 15 seconds, then turn off your device, and turn it on again. Don't press any other button.

10- After the phone turns on, return to the app, repeat steps, Unlock > Interop Unlock, turn on "Interop/Cap Unlock", turn on "New Capability Engine Unlock". Easy peasy.

Now, your registry can be edited. This is where the fun begins. Be aware, don't change any random values in the registry editor, it can harm your device!

Now, what you need to change in order to get the Creators update:

Using the Interop Tools (RC) app, go to hamburger menu > Registry > Registry Editor.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (HKLM) > System > Platform > DeviceTargetInfo

Change the following: (Please write down the older values before changing them, and keep an eye for capital and small letters):
1- PhoneManufacturer: Change Registry Value Data to "MicrosoftMDG". Press ✓.

2- PhoneManufacturerModelName: Change Registry Value Data to "RM-1085_11302" (for Single SIM devices) — and for all dual sim devices change the value to "RM-1116_11258". Press ✓.

3- PhoneModelName: Change Registry Value Data to "Lumia 950 XL" (single sim) or "Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM" (for dual sim). Press ✓.

4- PhoneHardwareVariant: Change Registry Value Data to "RM-1085". Press ✓.

After doing so, you can now navigate to your phone's settings > Update & Security > Phone update, check for updates. Of you course you would have to be an Insider first. If not, navigate to "Windows Insider Program" first, select "Fast", then check for updates again.

Edit [2]:
Here is an XDA tutorial for devices running Windows Phone 8.1 that are not included in the insider program:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10-mobile/installing-windows-10-mobile-tech-t3431454

Done and done.

Last edited:

B_Hawk

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't see option enable dev mode in my Lumia 630. It's running 8.1 now.

This tutorial is for devices running Windows 10 Mobile. I will check to see how to side load a registry editor to Windows Phone 8.1.

Also, I am not sure about the status of upgrading to W10M from 8.1, aren't you able to upgrade via the Windows Insider app? It is available in the store here:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...windows-insider%2F9wzdncrfjbhk&token=nEHT51E5

Please try downloading it first, and then selecting a fast insider ring, then checking for updates. If that doesn't work I will have to look into it, but I am pretty sure there is a way to upgrade devices running 8.1, either via a registry editor, or via the Windows Insider app.

Please let me know.

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Which wm10 build are you on. Have 10586.873 on my Lumia 925 and latest version of interop tools crashes on that build. Had to install the previous version of interop tools (from xda). Worked for me.

creanyo

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the tutorial. Worked perfectly in my L1502, L930 and L1020. they are running the .15207..best build now

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@fin11 thanks that worked better... however, it's weird, I noticed I don't see the insider program section anymore under system - update settings..... Currently pulling down 14393.1066 on my 920 so that's at least better than before...

edit: Update: insider program built in after 14393.1066 then proceeded with release preview!

@B_Hawk, does it matter if we should be using maybe a 640 or something for older phones?

Last edited:

shalabh johary1

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Installing on nokia 1320 ...
Windows 10 Mobile build 15208.0 (Redstone 3; Fast Ring)

Screen shot here

Attachments

• IMG-20170428-WA0030.jpg
    IMG-20170428-WA0030.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20170428-WA0031.jpg
    IMG-20170428-WA0031.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 8

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
About your last question, I am not sure what do you mean exactly?

Just a passing thought, because previous times I read about editing registry to get updates, there seemed to be an insistence to get a model similar to capability, like hardware buttons or not... So I thought a lower end phone should be using the registry entries for a Lumia 640 instead of a 950 XL for example. Moot point if my lumia 920 and 625 seem to be working just fine!

Aiman Kingz

May 1, 2017
Visit site
Im Lumia 735 and Lumia 640 user. Until now i still run w8.1 both phone. How can i get wp10 and the latest update? Im newbie pls help me.. Thank you 😊

B_Hawk

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Just a passing thought, because previous times I read about editing registry to get updates, there seemed to be an insistence to get a model similar to capability, like hardware buttons or not... So I thought a lower end phone should be using the registry entries for a Lumia 640 instead of a 950 XL for example. Moot point if my lumia 920 and 625 seem to be working just fine!

I don't think this will cause any problems. As you said, many updated their devices using this method. I am only concerned with providing a tutorial for devices that are still on WP 8.1 and not even eligible for the W10M upgrade. I don't have a device for testing, so I cannot say for sure what to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb