UK Cortana not chatty

anon(8574867)

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
UK Lumia 1520 owner here. Since resetting all of my region and language options to UK after living with US Cortana since day one, I must say I am less than impressed so far. She Bings everything and doesn't talk at all, and I can't add any interests. I do wonder if there may be underlying issues caused by residual options/settings from my US Cortana, as I wasn't prompted to re-enter any information. The only speech I can get out of her now is by going to the setting for how she pronounces my name. Really quite disappointed, if I'm honest. I hope it's just a fault :-(

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Cortana (UK) on my phone is probably deaf. All voice recognition is not working but text entry works fine. Then again, its a beta so hopefully things get straightened up before dropping the beta tag :)

Muadh Choudhury

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
UK Cortana seems to be working fine for me. I just find it hilarious and quite weird when the robotic voice does the Halo references, some jokes and impressions! Maybe the British Lady needs to do some more recording?

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm in Ireland and I just switched to UK settings just to try out Cortana, and so far she is ok. Not as chatty as she was for US settings, she doesn't do local searches due to location change she only does bing searches for the UK, but she responds to my random questions, tells jokes, sings, talks about weather, calls and texts people, for me ok, I like it for now. It's just annoying that my store is on UK settings now so I got everything in pounds and some apps are UK only too... Hopefully Cortana will come out for Ireland soon, I mean how hard is it to make it for English (Ireland) if it's already in India???

Last edited:

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Quick thing for people who still get bing results and no interests.

I just did this on a hunch following some other tips on this forum and now Cortana is working properly with full chit chat and interests

1. Turn off Cortana by going to "Settings" swipe left then tap on "Cortana"
2. When prompted restart.
3. Once restarted hold down the search key and do a normal voice search making sure to accept the voice agreement. Once the results are displayed press the start button
4. Go back to the cortana settings. DO NOT OPEN CORTANA TO DO THIS but go back into "Settings" swipe left and select "Cortana".
5 You will see an option toward the bottom to delete local data. Press this and confirm any dialogs that show.
6 Next open Cortana using the apps list or live tile if pinned.
7. This should run through the first run wizard where she asks your name etc.
8. Try asking a question that would get a response such as "tell me a story" she should nw work normally and you should also be able to add interests.

let me know how you fare but this did the trick for me eventually.

shinsenai

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Did you have interests defined before going through this procedure? What happens to them, are they lost? Cortana took a while to recognise Home and Work and give me traffic alerts, I would prefer not to lose that. In my case I have no problems with the Interests, everything has been moved over from Cortana US and I can see the Interests page, but every chit-chat question gets me to a Bing search.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Did you have interests defined before going through this procedure? What happens to them, are they lost? Cortana took a while to recognise Home and Work and give me traffic alerts, I would prefer not to lose that. In my case I have no problems with the Interests, everything has been moved over from Cortana US and I can see the Interests page, but every chit-chat question gets me to a Bing search.

Yeah I had interests all defined etc. They weren't lost however as they are saved up to Bing. As soon as she is switched back on they get pulled down again.

All you are doing is purging anything held on the phone

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I did ask who was better, Bing or Google and she gave a funny answer but other than that. Pretty boring and often calls me Chief.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

I just did this on a hunch following some other tips on this forum and now Cortana is working properly with full chit chat and interests

3. Once restarted hold down the search key and do a normal voice search making sure to accept the voice agreement. Once the results are displayed press the start button
4. Go back to the cortana settings. DO NOT OPEN CORTANA TO DO THIS but go back into "Settings" swipe left and select "Cortana".
5 You will see an option toward the bottom to delete local data. Press this and confirm any dialogs that show.
8. Try asking a question that would get a response such as "tell me a story" she should nw work normally and you should also be able to add interests.

That solved the issue for me. Only thing that got lost where the inner circle definitions.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
That solved the issue for me. Only thing that got lost where the inner circle definitions.

i meant to add that but was in a hurry on the train this morning. I had to re-create my inner circle as well but a minor inconvenience over the fact that everything else works flawlessly.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Fore sure was not meant as an allegation to your walkthrough. Its no problem for me, I just wait until she learns the inner circle again by herself. Like that moment when the questions pop up ;)

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Fore sure was not meant as an allegation to your walkthrough. Its no problem for me, I just wait until she learns the inner circle again by herself. Like that moment when the questions pop up ;)

Trust me no offence was taken. Just hate when people withhold details and there I was being the perfect hypocrite.

I realised a couple of minutes after making the post and wanted to ensure all the facts were there for people to see as the fix I provided is circulating on other threads. And this community asks a LOT of questions sometimes.

Sasco1st

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for thie mikeycl, it didn't work for me, but I had a slightly different issue, I had switched from US region and language to China region (with US language) to see if Cortana changed, it didn't so switched back to US region, but not she won't talk, she'll reply with jokes etc but all in text!

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for thie mikeycl, it didn't work for me, but I had a slightly different issue, I had switched from US region and language to China region (with US language) to see if Cortana changed, it didn't so switched back to US region, but not she won't talk, she'll reply with jokes etc but all in text!

Dont take this wrong but did you check if your sound volume is up. I run into this for myself a view times already.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077