Upgraded to 830, feel disappointed....

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 635 also have 1 GB RAM.Nokia Lumia 635 - Full phone specifications

and this phone may perfom better than L830 because it has less pixel to push compare to L830 with same processor.

Yes OS play major role but difference aren't big as both have same OS( but different firmware).
however
apps/games performance will be same or worse. Not better.

No, 635 got 512mb ram. Only the 636/638 variants have 1gb ram. And those are not released in most marlkets.

iljajj

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't matter.
I made my point here.
Performance of L830 will be same or worse than $150 phone.

Yeah, right. You post to make a point and when the point turns out to be (largely) baloney it suddenly doesn't matter. Way to go, dude.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, right. You post to make a point and when the point turns out to be (largely) baloney it suddenly doesn't matter. Way to go, dude.

Dude if you have something to counter my point then say it clearly. Don't sh*t here.
Users have different opinion and I have my reason to believe in this.

What do you believe and why?
Which phone has better performance if processor & OS is same
Phone with 854 X 480 resolution phone
Or phone with 1280 X 720 resolution.

Please don't bullsh*t. Simple answer

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Dude if you have something to counter my point then say it clearly. Don't sh*t here.

I'm with you DMC. Microsoft really misled people into believing that L830 is a flagship while it should be in the same league as those 6xx phones.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
@OP, I'm sorry you feel that way about the 830. I recently bought an 830 off ebay just so that I could test drive W10TP and I think it's great. My primary phone is a 930 which I love but the 830 is thinner, lighter, feels more comfortable in my hand, has an SD card slot (now occupied by a 128GB card) and it supports Glance. Funnily enough, it's all the little things I wanted the 930 to be. Horses for courses I guess.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 830 belongs right where it is, nestled between the 600-range and the 1520. I owned a 920 and a 1520, and have gotten my hands on the 635 countless times (a friend has one, a work colleague has one, and they're littered all over our local Microsoft, AT&T, and T-Mobile stores). Performance was much closer to the 1520 and right on par with the 920 than it was the 635. People claiming it's more on par with the 635 clearly haven't spent time with all of the phones mentioned and are just b.s.'ing based on selective nitpicking of a spec sheet. Hell, even the PhoneDog review said the 830 was even more of a pleasure to use than the 930.

Add to that the combination of Glance Screen, wireless charging, top-notch aesthetics, premium build quality, built-in OIS, HAAC mics, expandable storage, removable battery, exchangable back covers... and you've got a package you won't find elsewhere, on any platform, let alone blowing the 635 out of the water.

Last edited:

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Not everyone buys phone for playing console quality games. And most gamers would pick android over WP anyway.
But generally I agree with u and I have stated it many times in other threads. MS made a terribly decision by putting the SD400 on all phones from $150 too $400...

Robbie95

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Removing cortana live tile has sorted the home screen stutter, a bug Ms needs to address.
I think switching to the 830 was a shock to system, I was expecting more. I feel ms have tried to put a Porsche badge on a ford, at best its a mid range phone. If it was 'labelled' mid range I wouldn't be disappointed.
But on the up side I've landed myself a good contract deal so I'm alot less bitter about it.
Unlike the 820/920, with same performance specs, the 830 has been neglected. Should of gone with same approach with 830/930. If you look at the 735 the specs aren't that different (Aside the camera and memory) but that's a 'mid range' handset...
Your all probably thinking 'Why didn't you get the 930' well two things. First being no SD and secondly no glance. I can understand why a flagship phone would be missing key features and a lot of users agree glance is key, remember I mentioned 'moving goal posts'
The 830 for me was ideal, nice and thin, aesthetically pleasing and had features I was wanting. Screen size a bit big but makes up from its thinness, I'll stick with it and hope ms irons the bugs and W10 brings the best out of this phone

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I just moved from a 920 to a 830, and had temporary usage of 720 & 1520 in between. I'll get this out of the way and say I dont play processor heavy games. So, only three things matter to me:-

1- Battery. 830 absolutely wins hands down. I replicated the configuration and apps on my 830 and use it like I do on my 920. I get 2? times battery duration between charges. Impressive. I can use the 830 more intensively and not worry about depleting the battery by lunch time.

2. Camera. 920 is quicker. 830 takes better picts in normal condition and with Rich Capture but cant compare when in very lowlight.

3. Design... It takes some time to get use to a lighter device. No casing. Just a screen protector, which I'll eventually remove. Naked phone and it feels darn nice like the 720 !! .. just have to be more careful handling it. I doubt my orange 830 can withstand the abuse my black 920 thrives on.....

830 disappointed? Definitely not. An upgrade? Yes. Happy? That too!!

Thos Parkouristas

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Dude I have an 820 also and If I was about to buy another Lumia I would go for the 1520 because for me my 820 is the best and I've tried many Lumias( 625,735,630,920 )!

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I replicated the configuration and apps on my 830 and use it like I do on my 920. I get 2? times battery duration between charges. Impressive. I can use the 830 more intensively and not worry about depleting the battery by lunch time.

Question. Did you setup your new 830 using a restore backup from your 920 or did you do a fresh start install and then re-install your apps?

I chose to do a restore backup from my 920 but I am not happy with the slight lag performance of Glance and Double Tap to Wake compared to my 920. It seems slower to wake up the display on the 830 than on the 920 for some reason. And waving my hand over the display or a double tap sometimes does not wake up the display or show the Glance info.

I'm considering doing a hard reset and then a fresh install and not use the restore backup to see if that helps. :unhappy:

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Question. Did you setup your new 830 using a restore backup from your 920 or did you do a fresh start install and then re-install your apps?

I chose to do a restore backup from my 920 but I am not happy with the slight lag performance of Glance and Double Tap to Wake compared to my 920. It seems slower to wake up the display on the 830 than on the 920 for some reason. And waving my hand over the display or a double tap sometimes does not wake up the display or show the Glance info.

I'm considering doing a hard reset and then a fresh install and not use the restore backup to see if that helps. :unhappy:
One thing to note is that person mentioned rich capture which is not available unless you have full denim... I have the lag present but I have the att model that has yet to get the updated firmware, wondering if that corrects the lag... Ita really bad If I have music playing in Xbox music and return to home screen or scroll trough notifications. Without music playing I only notice it at random times.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Question. Did you setup your new 830 using a restore backup from your 920 or did you do a fresh start install and then re-install your apps?:

It's best to start from fresh.
The only thing I restore from backup was Header Tiles. Can not do without this wonderful app. Keeps my screen organised

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What did you expect from it? The camera and screen are better, but that's about it. The 820's SoC actually beat the 830's in GPU benchmarks, with the CPUs pretty close (same for the RAM and browser scores). Given the larger, higher-resolution screen, the 830's battery increase likely only kept it on-par with the 820's battery life. The 820 was a legitimate "affordable flagship," as it carried the best SoC at the time--the same S4 inside the 920. The 830 was an utter joke with that "affordable flagship" moniker because instead of carrying the high-end chip of the time, like its predecessor did, the 830 carried a high-end budget SoC (SD 400, instead of the 800 in the 930), and got released at the same price point as the 920 did as a true flagship.

The 830 was a $300 phone with a $450 price tag. It was a glorified budget phone with some decent secondary aspects (screen, camera) that got marketed as offering a high-end experience. People who bought that thing should be disappointed, unless they got it during that $200 sale.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoah5514