User Reviews - Surface Pro 3

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am church-conservative (as well as politically conservative - well, probably as libertarian as conservative, but that doesn't matter for this discussion). What I was referring to when I said a conservative skin was something in a muted color - grey, black, navy, something conservative in the manner of conservative business dress. IMO the conservative talk show host comment came out of left field.

But my comments still stand - I don't think you're being silly for being concerned about it. I think it is silly that you're judged on the color of your PC. I use my SP3 in the second pew every Sunday during Sunday School to control the computer in the sound booth projecting on the platform, showing the verses, before going upstairs to the sound booth during worship service (every third week). And I go to a very conservative church.

My point is don't let the color of the PC make the decision for you. Those colors can be covered up. It may be harder to find a solid-colored, muted color skin, but they're out there. I haven't put one on a PC, but I had a DecalGirl skin on my 928 before I got my Icon, and I loved it. And it was good enough that it went through three phones with me, being peeled off and put back on.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
A follow up to my earlier posts... anyone that has a black type cover and an SP3: any chance for pictures of the device with a black type cover attached. If possible I'd prefer pictures of how the device looks from back/front/side with the Type cover folded back. If you feel like seeing the extra effort I could use the same three pictures but with the black type cover just covering the screen.

It's surprisingly hard to find such images when the device is this new, most pictures that come up are from the earlier Surface products.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
A follow up to my earlier posts... anyone that has a black type cover and an SP3: any chance for pictures of the device with a black type cover attached. If possible I'd prefer pictures of how the device looks from back/front/side with the Type cover folded back. If you feel like seeing the extra effort I could use the same three pictures but with the black type cover just covering the screen.

It's surprisingly hard to find such images when the device is this new, most pictures that come up are from the earlier Surface products.

Anyone? :(

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If you read carefully you might find that I wasn't quite looking for a picture like that. That kinda stuff I can find from Bing easily, picture of a folded back sp3 with type cover at right angle is a lot more challenging already.

That said, in a pinch I could use pictures of a blue one too to at least see how it looks folded back in general

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I am church-conservative (as well as politically conservative - well, probably as libertarian as conservative, but that doesn't matter for this discussion). What I was referring to when I said a conservative skin was something in a muted color - grey, black, navy, something conservative in the manner of conservative business dress. IMO the conservative talk show host comment came out of left field.

But my comments still stand - I don't think you're being silly for being concerned about it. I think it is silly that you're judged on the color of your PC. I use my SP3 in the second pew every Sunday during Sunday School to control the computer in the sound booth projecting on the platform, showing the verses, before going upstairs to the sound booth during worship service (every third week). And I go to a very conservative church.

My point is don't let the color of the PC make the decision for you. Those colors can be covered up. It may be harder to find a solid-colored, muted color skin, but they're out there. I haven't put one on a PC, but I had a DecalGirl skin on my 928 before I got my Icon, and I loved it. And it was good enough that it went through three phones with me, being peeled off and put back on.
Proud to be in left field, couldn't imagine living and working in an environment were I would be judged for the color of my tablet. Nature explodes with color and I like it. But hey that's me.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not being judged by the color of my device, it's more so that people tell me the dark titanium colored RT works really nicely in my line of work "compared to some of the other tablets". It's not the color of the tablet, if any judging would happen it would probably be for using a tablet in the first place, that's why I prefer the more subtle color, many dont even realize it' a device and not one of those folders many of my coworker use.

There's time and place for everything, but I think many of you are sorta missing the point. It's much like business men don't wear bright pink suits to work typically. I'm pretty sure most of them manage just fine without feeling like they get judged over colors or having a terrible environment to work and live in. It's no different here, there are some "standards" to most things in life and while a SP3 looks right at home in a university lecture class, it just wouldn't look as home in front of the altar in a church compared to the darker colored Surfaces, IMO.

Also, I think it's a bit silly to even talk much about color per se. SP3 isn't any special color, really. My bright green Lumia 930 has color. The SP3, while super stylish, is pretty much the go-to color of a high end tech device. So already from that PoV I think the dark titanium was cooler, it was somethig much more original than the coloring on Surface 2 and Surface Pro 3 and in some ways it feels like Microsoft was trying to ride the Apple-train with that decision (much like Apple tried to ride the Lumia train with 5c :D)

Or if the business man comparison didn't work, lets take wedding as an example. Nobody cares if you wear jeans and t-shirt 99% of your life, but it isn't exactly correct to show up at a wedding dressed up like that.

There's no rule saying I can't use an aluminum colored tablet during mass, but neither is there a rule against a folder that is pink and covered with unicorns and hello kitty, but I still think it's not quite appropriate for the occasion. Now SP3 wouldn't be bad by any means, but it does stand out more than I'd like it to at least compared to the old color. Now the problem comes when I could get the better color device with better specs for cheaper, but I really do like the thinner and lighter device with better pen, kick stand, aspect ratio.....

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It is ridicilously hard to find pictures of the SP3 with the Type Cover attached, but folded back. I can find pictures of it in almost any other imaginable way, but not that. What the hell :D

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
It is ridicilously hard to find pictures of the SP3 with the Type Cover attached, but folded back. I can find pictures of it in almost any other imaginable way, but not that. What the hell :D

I couldn't find a single one online.... but honestly, in use, I'm sure most people don't want to do that to the cover. I just pull mine off.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
That's one of the best things about Surface for me. Taking it off works fine too sometimes but occasionally leaves me with nowhere to put the type cover down to, so I'd rather fold it back. Also the reason I'm interested is cos it could help me with the "color problem" in few scenarios

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Here you go, in Worst Buy Blue. I do see your point about wanting to be conservative in look, which is why I suggested a skin. But it is clear that you don't go to an Apostolic Church - I swear every one of those preachers uses an iPad! :wink: In fact, the last time I worked the sound booth for a wedding, I told my pastor afterward that you could tell he was reading from his iPad because of the glow on his face/body. LOL. And before the iPad, it was the Mac laptop, whichever model it was - with the big glowing Apple logo standing up on the pulpit. Cracked me up every time my former pastor would get up there with his Mac.

WP_20140809_16_17_43_Raw.jpg

WP_20140809_16_17_34_Raw.jpg

WP_20140809_16_17_28_Raw.jpg

WP_20140809_16_17_18_Raw.jpg

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a ton! Also, interesting solution with the pen loop!

The glow on face and body is a tradeoff I guess, but for example or main mass on Sunday gets broadcasted on the radio and the paper shuffling sound is a far bigger problem IMHO:D

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a ton! Also, interesting solution with the pen loop!

The glow on face and body is a tradeoff I guess, but for example or main mass on Sunday gets broadcasted on the radio and the paper shuffling sound is a far bigger problem IMHO:D

Gotcha. You're not going to see the glow on the radio, now are you? :wink:

Here's the pen loop:
Amazon.com : Leuchtturm Pen Loop Grey : Office Products
The part that's stuck to the back of the PC is hard plastic with a double-sided tape kind of application. The loop, is of course elastic. I went with the gray because it was a good accent for the tablet color.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, obviously you do still glow right there on the spot, "live", but the paper shuffling sounds are actually a pretty big problem sometimes for some of our pastors cos the mic really picks it up and then thousands of people on the radio get to enjoy the paper shuffling sounds :D But luckily you can easily adjust brightness at least on Surface, I often tone it down at least if the church is any darker in attempt to avoid too much glowing.

Also, using a Mac or any other laptop would just be really tacky :D

It seems MS designed the folded back type cover so now that it doesnt cover the rear camera anymore? Anyways, it seems to cover the device quite nicely so that I could probably just keep my black type cover folded back if I wanted to mask some of that aluminium'ish color.

Something that left me wondering was that "gap" near the magnetic connector and the device when it's folded back? Does it not bend to be "snug" against the device or is that somehow a preference thing? :p

I'll try to head to a MS Store next week on my way to university, perhaps they already have the SP3 for some hands on.

Last edited:

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
You can also detach and flip around so the keys don't show... and if you do it that way, it covers the entire back (and then some...)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124