Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeroenvk94

May 30, 2014
Visit site
That means to an extent all flagship Windows phone can be compared to low end Windows phone except for camera.yet people buy flagship wp devices.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Well, where I live we get phones on contract mostly. And we get many WP devices ( 920,1020,1520 Lumia ) for free, while for an iPhone 5 we get to pay an additional 500? to our monthly bill. It's insane!

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
No multitasking, despite the fevered wishes of some Apple centric tech bloggers, and no separate user accounts. Geez Apple its 2014. And no "family unit" isn't the same thing. This was really pretty sad.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
No file manager. Yet there is a cloud storage solution but with a weak 5gb free limit. Forcing you to pay since you can't save files locally. Everything they do is to tie you deeper and deeper into their system smh.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah... Exactly.... That was my point. Anything Mac-specific is only as good as anything Windows Phone specific. For example, the WiFi sense thing that allows me to share my WiFi without a password is cool, but I don't know anyone with a Windows Phone that well, so its useless to me. I'm not sure what your point is.
My point is that it's still a great feature regardless of how many people can use it. It would be an awesome feature either way. I have Macs in my house but if I didn't it would make me want to buy one. It would also be outstanding if WP had this feature as I'm sure it would sell phones. BTW it also works between iPhones and iPad.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
iOS is very mature overall and they can now keep refining and polishing the software even further.

The notification center and the new messaging app are way ahead of the competition.

Also, the new "metal" tech seems really powerful for 3D rendering so I expect to see some awesome games in their store soon.

Its really hard to bash a well executed product.

Now, on osx 10.10 vs. Win 8.1 .. that's another story...

dcuk7

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised by the negativity for iOS 8 here. I'd say that is one of the most solid developer conferences I've ever seen. The sheer amount of stuff they have given developers is almost un-Apple-like!

By giving Notification Center widgets they have brought its functionality ahead of WP 8.1 and possibly ahead of Android. Opening up the OS as they have done clearly shows Tim Cook is his own man. Jobs would never have allowed this level of openness.

Homekit is clearly a play to hurt Google in a big way. Google buys Nest; Apple creates a proprietary API for every other home automation maker to plug in to. Other platforms may end up with several apps to control various different devices whereas an iPhone can just do it all under the same system. Saying "Hey Siri, open my garage door. Hey Siri, switch the living room lights on", you cannot not be impressed at that.

Personally the Jony Ive colours, transparency and gradients design is not to my taste so the iPhone 5 was my last iOS device but Microsoft and Google have some catching up to do. The downside for Microsoft is that they have played their hand already. Google has Google I/O in a few weeks and I can only imagine they have some sort of response. Especially with Apple bulking up Spotlight like they have. Clearly another play to keep users from even needing to open a web browser to search.

Today was all about Apple building the ecosystem and pretty much owning it. The funny part is the only aspect of their ecosystem they don't control is the search (currently powered by Bing). Within the next two years they will announce their own search engine, I'm convinced of that now seeing today's event.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
iOS is too expensive if you take a price/quality comparison. It makes no sense paying 800€ for an iPhone which actually has the same functions as a decent Windows Phone running 8.1 which may cost €500.

I'm American so it may be different but all my iPhones have paid for themselves after a one time purchase of $650. Every year around September I sell it get the latest model with very little extra cash on top. iPhones keep their value and they also cost just as much as other flagship phones. You can't sell a 3 year old WP for $250.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised by the negativity for iOS 8 here. I'd say that is one of the most solid developer conferences I've ever seen. The sheer amount of stuff they have given developers is almost un-Apple-like!

By giving Notification Center widgets they have brought its functionality ahead of WP 8.1 and possibly ahead of Android. Opening up the OS as they have done clearly shows Tim Cook is his own man. Jobs would never have allowed this level of openness.

Homekit is clearly a play to hurt Google in a big way. Google buys Nest; Apple creates a proprietary API for every other home automation maker to plug in to. Other platforms may end up with several apps to control various different devices whereas an iPhone can just do it all under the same system. Saying "Hey Siri, open my garage door. Hey Siri, switch the living room lights on", you cannot not be impressed at that.

Personally the Jony Ive colours, transparency and gradients design is not to my taste so the iPhone 5 was my last iOS device but Microsoft and Google have some catching up to do. The downside for Microsoft is that they have played their hand already. Google has Google I/O in a few weeks and I can only imagine they have some sort of response. Especially with Apple bulking up Spotlight like they have. Clearly another play to keep users from even needing to open a web browser to search.

Today was all about Apple building the ecosystem and pretty much owning it. The funny part is the only aspect of their ecosystem they don't control is the search (currently powered by Bing). Within the next two years they will announce their own search engine, I'm convinced of that now seeing today's event.

Thank you! Finally an opinion that didn't reek of ******. If the OS wasn't hideous and threw phones weren't miniscule it'd be the only considerable high end phone.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Very excited about the upcoming OSX Yosemite summer preview, since I got a MacBook Pro a few days ago. No plans to leave WP 8.1 - it's just beautiful, connected to OneDrive, great camera, video, Office, Bing. Same with Surface 2... I'm looking forward to a great RT update in the months ahead; for my needs it should be a bit more exciting than iOS 8.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Now that they have Beats, its probably going to be an even better stunner. I'll wait on the highlights and details.

Beats wont be helping apple make a better operating system than MS. Beats is a highly marketed headphones with subpar audio performance in comparison to true audio companies.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely hate the contacts floating on top in the multitasking view in ios 8. That feature alone will keep me off ios and I do hope that Microsoft does not copy this feature.

TheMightyCraken

May 6, 2014
Visit site
The continuity sold me. I am going to love being able to respond to text messages, recieve phone calls, and pick up right where I was on my iMac, iPhone, or iPad. IMO it completly blows MS integration out of the water. I'm very curious to see how Google responds and am somewhat disappointed the all of MS's cards are showing. Just when they finally catch up, Apple makes me want to go full on iOS.

Dude, I know that feeling. .. you these features won't look do great in reality. ..had to learn this the hard way -_-

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
windows phone 8.1 turned out to be something big and unexpected with many improvements, new features and so on. but there are some features i would like to see in order to keep the hype and momentum of windows phone 8.1 going. we need something or anything we can get that reduce the hype ios 8 is now receiving. imagine on CNN they are talking about feature like actionable notification, family/ room, always on siri like they are the new apples innovation.
please vote for these features and share with as many people as you can.
actionable notification, always on cortana, picture password – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Very excited about the upcoming OSX Yosemite summer preview, since I got a MacBook Pro a few days ago. No plans to leave WP 8.1 - it's just beautiful, connected to OneDrive, great camera, video, Office, Bing. Same with Surface 2... I'm looking forward to a great RT update in the months ahead; for my needs it should be a bit more exciting than iOS 8.

hey did they announce what the hardware limitation on those will be? will all macs currently running maverics be able to upgrade?

TheMightyCraken

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I think iOS8 brings some innovative things, but I wouldn't say it blows the integration of WP8.1 out of the water. Again, 8.1 is fresh too. They are releasing the DP of iOS8 later this month. WP8.1 just got another update today. Where iOS8 took the iphone isn't as far as WP8.1 took WP. Again this is no knock on iOS or anything Apple. My whole point with them has always been price point. Who cares if you can call on an iPad to an iPhone if only the top 15% of society can afford it? Why call when you can facetime, Skype, or Whatsapp anyway? Wait, that's because most of the market outside the US uses those applications and that's why iOS8 isn't going to matter in Asia, or Europe as much as Andriod or WP. Being able to respone directly from the notifcation center is cool, but with live tiles I feel like you already have better method. I like how you can double tap the control button and it'll open the last app you were at, but you could do that anyway via another method. I can understand people being a little underwhelmed considering how hush, hush, Apple had been. Still it's a nice OS update and will give the fans of Apple a continuation of what they have come to expect. A polished and refined OS. the question is how many fans will they continue to have.
Couldn't have said it better... but still wish Microsoft world play a last cats and support 3rd party keyboards (not that I have any problem with the Microsoft Keyboard) Also they should integrate the WP platform even more with the Windows platform just like Apple is doing. ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99