Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonix232

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
The point was that it's still a useful feature regardless of how many people get to use it. Also, how do you feel that the MS integration is superior beyond syncing of colors. What can it do better than what we saw with OSX and iOS? I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Of course it does matter what percentage of your userbase can use the features! How would you feel if iOS8 was all about that, nothing else, just the inter-device syncing, and you had a Windows? You'd say, screw this, really nice features, BUT WHY THE F*CK DO I NEED A DAMN MAC FOR IT? It's pretty much what Apple did so far, locking their users in their own ecosystem, not giving any freedom to them to have other devices. This is true from the very hardware (Lighting connector), to the requirement of a companion app to be able to CHARGE from a laptop/computer (seriously, it can't start charging without iTunes being installed. What the hell? Is it like, 2004?), and I could go on. Even if you want to turn your phone on the first time - you need a computer with iTunes installed, and it better be a Mac otherwise it'll freeze the sh*t out of it.

All together, Apple's solution is better, I accept that. But it's the very minority who ever get the option to use these features, the rest feel like being sh*t on the head.

And yes, Microsoft's solution is better. You can save a document to OneDrive easily, without a hassle, from ANY platform, then open it on your phone/laptop/computer/tablet/TV/whatever and continue where you left off. Sure, a prompt on your phone is easier - but most of the time when I just stand up and walk away from my laptop, during work, well, then I need a break. Not a damn notification that I still have work to do.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I guess you skipped the part where I said they only compete on the high end. They do not compete on the low end so why compare it with a 521? Even then why compare your budget phone with a flagship phone that came out 3 years ago? You can run all the games at the same speed that are don't require 1GB of ram. Are the HTC One M8, Icon, and Galaxy S5 overpriced too since they cost the same as a 5s? Or last years models being the same price as a 5? It also not just limited to phones. Contrary to popular belief, Macs are price competitive with the windows machines they compete with.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
IE11 tab sync. app settings sync. password sync. universal apps. Office online. onedrive. onenote instant sync. Cortana sync interests. the grouping(linking) and syncing of all contacts across all services and devices.
that last one alone blows apple out of the water.

the call transfer from phone to desktop seems useful on the surface but most won't use it often if at all because to talk on a Mac, speaker phone is pretty much required and most people rather be speaking on a real phone (it has speakerphone as well) and not use speakerphone. In fact I see little usage scenario for this.
I admit texting on computer is pretty nice since you can use a real keyboard, but this is only useful for the text heavies who also happens to own a Mac.
Also realize that the mobile-desktop integration is very limited because Mac OS is at like 7.38% while Windows 8+8.1 is at 12.64% so neither got enough users for this features to be fully exploited.

On the bright side, Google got 0 integration between Android and Chrome OS so we're miles ahead of them :)

How is any of that the same thing Apple showed? Most of the things you listed are already being done in OSX (Safari Tab Sync, Keychain Password Sync, iWork in iCloud, Contacts sync accross platforms too). You saying most people won't use it is a stretch since you can't possible know that. It's not just about taking calls and texts. Its about the seemless handoff which MS does not have. It's about me sitting at my iMac typing a email, getting up and instantly finishing where I left off on my iPad or iPhone. It's about sitting on the couch with my iPad while my phone is charging and texting with it instead of being tethered to a wall. Just that to me is beyond useful. I think everyone is also forgeting that this also works on the iPad with the iPhone. There are 100s of millions of iPads out there. In fact more than any single other tablet. So theres that.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Of course it does matter what percentage of your userbase can use the features! How would you feel if iOS8 was all about that, nothing else, just the inter-device syncing, and you had a Windows? You'd say, screw this, really nice features, BUT WHY THE F*CK DO I NEED A DAMN MAC FOR IT? It's pretty much what Apple did so far, locking their users in their own ecosystem, not giving any freedom to them to have other devices. This is true from the very hardware (Lighting connector), to the requirement of a companion app to be able to CHARGE from a laptop/computer (seriously, it can't start charging without iTunes being installed. What the hell? Is it like, 2004?), and I could go on. Even if you want to turn your phone on the first time - you need a computer with iTunes installed, and it better be a Mac otherwise it'll freeze the sh*t out of it.

All together, Apple's solution is better, I accept that. But it's the very minority who ever get the option to use these features, the rest feel like being sh*t on the head.

And yes, Microsoft's solution is better. You can save a document to OneDrive easily, without a hassle, from ANY platform, then open it on your phone/laptop/computer/tablet/TV/whatever and continue where you left off. Sure, a prompt on your phone is easier - but most of the time when I just stand up and walk away from my laptop, during work, well, then I need a break. Not a damn notification that I still have work to do.

Sigh...
You do not need to install iTunes to charge iDevices. Also you don't need a computer to activate an iPhone and haven't for years (Since the iPhone 4 in 2010 i believe). Those 2 things are simply not true. This integration also works from iPhone to iPad and there are 200 million of those out there.

I don't understand why you guys are so against Apple for doing something that makes peoples lives easier just because it may not make your life any easier. I love WP too but I'm not going to sit here and act like MS has the better implementation when they have NOTHING at the system level that competes with Apple's "continuity" in it's current form. Everyone keeps throwing around comparisions that are not even the same thing. WP+W8.1 does not have the same integration as OSX+iOS. It's a fact so let it go and hope MS copies it in the next release.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If Apple releases a larger phone I could have a very, very difficult decision when the contract for my 920 expires in November. And I might have to hold off on that new PC purchase. Microsoft better have something compelling by end of year.

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing sth, but what's so great in iOS 8? No game changer feature that would smack WP and Android. Predicting words, QuickType, Active Notifications. Oh wow, Jesus is walking among us again. Really, Apple again tries to sell us couple of ideas from 3rd party apps as a groundbreaking innovation. Unfortunately these aren't the droids I'm looking for.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
A lot of the **** people see on Iphones and Androids were on Windows Mobile phones first. A lot of people forget about Windows Mobile. So shut the f up with the copying bs.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I am seriously impressed, if you just look at the continuity and the seamless integration Apple introduced, you will question why hasn't this been implemented in Windows and Windows Phone yet.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I read a great comment on the verge yesterday and it really stuck with me.
Basically it said that apple was carefully and surgically merging OSX and iOS into one platform and they compared that with what MS did and I am going to have to agree that up until now I think Apple did it better. People here defending or attacking one platform or another is juvenile. Apple just released a pretty significant upgrade to their IOS platform. Regardless of how they present their products (by often belittling others) you really don't have a leg to stand on if you are saying that this is not a significant update. I never thought I would be interested in their platform until now. I will wait to see how MS and Google respond, but I am absolutely impressed.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I read a great comment on the verge yesterday and it really stuck with me.
Basically it said that apple was carefully and surgically merging OSX and iOS into one platform and they compared that with what MS did and I am going to have to agree that up until now I think Apple did it better. People here defending or attacking one platform or another is juvenile. Apple just released a pretty significant upgrade to their IOS platform. Regardless of how they present their products (by often belittling others) you really don't have a leg to stand on if you are saying that this is not a significant update. I never thought I would be interested in their platform until now. I will wait to see how MS and Google respond, but I am absolutely impressed.

Same here I am waiting to see what Google has up it's sleeves at IO. For me it will between Moto X+1/X and the iPhone 6. They are going to be only devices that will stay in a size range that I can use with one hand.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually this has been possible on Windows for many many years, ever heard of Skype?

So if I get a regular cellular call I can get it through Skype? Or can I text people from my computer or receives text messages and calls the same way Apple will be doing?

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Competition is a great thing.

Where is all mobile platforms headed..........Integration...........

It's been the dream of Microsoft to have this across all platforms,and Apple is going to beat them at their own game. They will catch up,but,the damage is done.

Giving out the API for the Home kit...simply brilliant......why,simple,competition and with that,cheaper prices for those interested in home automation. Get the prices down on the components more people will be interested in doing it.

People are looking at this as a. " Us vs Them " when they shouldn't be.They should be looking at this from a consumer point of view in that what platforms will do more for me when implemented. Also...if one is stuck with one platform vs Apple,they should be asking" what is these new features going to do at Microsoft or Google...because if it does nothing,they fall behind.

Some here are anti anything that isn't Microsoft,and you forget that competition drives the market. You moan when Apple or Google comes out with better implemented features and say we already have this or that..but if it is done better your bitter....

I don't agree 100% with any of the big 3 on how they do everything,I look to who has the best for me.

Some great features are being offered in IOS 8 and in Yosemite some borrowed and some new and they aren't meant to make a diehard Google or Microsoft fan switch,but give those already using Apple what they have been asking for and to keep them happy in it's ecosystem.

Predicted text is just a start and no matter who has it now,they will always strive to make it easier and more accurate. Competition,is the driving force of the market,not complaining that the other guys are ahead.

You either. Lead..Follow..or Move out of the way...............

People have complained about the costs of the iPhones....have you seen the price for a 1020 or 1520 off contract? These are right in line with the iPhones.

I personally wish both companies good luck 🍀 because I know that without one another it will not bode well for you and me.

M

Orange Cat

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
So if I get a regular cellular call I can get it through Skype? Or can I text people from my computer or receives text messages and calls the same way Apple will be doing?

You cannot. One of my favorite things from my brief time with Android was the apps that allowed me to do texting from my PC.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

It's been the dream of Microsoft to have this across all platforms,and Apple is going to beat them at their own game. They will catch up,but,the damage is done.

Giving out the API for the Home kit...simply brilliant......why,simple,competition and with that,cheaper prices for those interested in home automation. Get the prices down on the components more people will be interested in doing it.

People are looking at this as a. " Us vs Them " when they shouldn't be.They should be looking at this from a consumer point of view in that what platforms will do more for me when implemented. Also...if one is stuck with one platform vs Apple,they should be asking" what is these new features going to do at Microsoft or Google...because if it does nothing,they fall behind.

Some here are anti anything that isn't Microsoft,and you forget that competition drives the market. You moan when Apple or Google comes out with better implemented features and say we already have this or that..but if it is done better your bitter....

I don't agree 100% with any of the big 3 on how they do everything,I look to who has the best for me.

Some great features are being offered in IOS 8 and in Yosemite some borrowed and some new and they aren't meant to make a diehard Google or Microsoft fan switch,but give those already using Apple what they have been asking for and to keep them happy in it's ecosystem.

Predicted text is just a start and no matter who has it now,they will always strive to make it easier and more accurate. Competition,is the driving force of the market,not complaining that the other guys are ahead.

People have complained about the costs of the iPhones....have you seen the price for a 1020 or 1520 off contract? These are right in line with the iPhones.

I personally wish both companies good luck �� because I know that without one another it will not bode well for you and me.

M
Exactly this. Great post!!

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

I personally wish both companies good luck �� because I know that without one another it will not bode well for you and me.

M

I agree with most of this. However, a 1020 or 1520 is hardly near a 5s off contract

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

This. The Lumia Icon and Ativ SE are also up there off contract price wise. Saying an iPhone is expensive is hypocrisy when the best WPs are in the same price range.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree with most of this. However, a 1020 or 1520 is hardly near a 5s on contract

What about the Lumia Icon? That is $599 off contract which is only $50 less than a iPhone. They are in the same range without a doubt. Touting Windows Phone as the Almighty price conscious devices when the high end devices is in the same range as other platforms is not fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb