WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not yet. Have you?

By tweaks I mean in these case USP (unique selling point). Currently, LG is offering the DAC in their music experience and their camera as their USP. Some OEMs do a full skin to tie into their hardware. Some do Android One with tweaks (Oneplus, HMD). Some use the Google skin as is.

I think youre missing my point. The market has changed in a way that it isn't about major software upgrades or security patches. It is about establishing a solid USP and making sure your hardware and software sing together well enough that it offers convenience for end users. People talking about Google's skin of Android as a USP (either Android One or Pixel ROM) misses the point - that hasn't been enough to move units. We used to **** on Damsung that Touch Wiz was bloated. They trimmed some of the fat with One UI. We said Touch Wiz was old, One UI modernized it enough. We said Samsung was slow with security patches, they've gotten better since the S10 line. We've seen some bad bugs pop up in

You buy an LG you know the DAC is good and the camera is solid. If you dint care about the DAC, why buy LG? Oneplus hardware wise is in LG's ballpark but the software + hardware experience is better. Just wait until Oneplus gets on Verizon...if they can move units there, look out. Its that same reason Verizon dropped the Pixel line now. Why buy LG? Their IoT accessories have not been successful so far. Wear OS has crippled their smart watch offerings as much as Qualcomm has. Outside of their wireless headphones, why buy LG? They havent fleshed out the ThinQ brand over their offerings to make it attractive yet.

So switching to an Android One ROM isn't enough to solve their issues. Being a cheaper Samsung doesn't work either. Apple gives fast updates for years. Google didnt offer that to Pixel until the Pixel 3. Samsung hasn't added on the 3 year support officially. Oneplus has been doing that since the 3T on the quiet. They need to be clear on their USP.

I don't mind OEM skins because they differentiate their products. If I wanted one UI and only one, I'd stay with Apple. Though as much as I love Sony's stock contacts, music and gallery apps, I completely abhor Samsung's dialer app. Stock Google calendar and contacts are useless to me and every single OEM default email client is a waste of time. I usually have to put in BlackBerry's Hub, contacts, calendar and keyboard on every device.

I wish I could pick and choose the best app from each different vendor but alas, only BlackBerry offers its wares to everybody. Given TCL's decision to say buh-bye to BlackBerry, who knows how much longer this will be an option.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just so you know "consumers" really do not know what is best for them. Even if Samsung is late on patches and upgrades their devices are one of the most secure all around. I have known the Galaxy's to be some of the most hardened phones.

Unfortunately OEMs cannot swing the pendulum to far, because believe it or not Security/Patches/Upgrades are far far more important then they were even 1 or 2 years ago, and that need grows exponentially just the same as the way even technology meets milestones or achievements year after year. We cannot throw out all the bad or less appealing just to have fun, but we all know this. Yet the world in some ways seems to keep coming back to what they see on the outside. Even around forums people throw around the word patches (security) or vulnerabilities, or Upgrades even if they do not know what they mean or do or why. I am not saying that you fit this I am just saying in general....because some of those same consumers are the ones that look for the most screen real-estate and responsiveness on a slab phone before anything else.
Oems can swing the pendulum however they want. They're in the business of making super profits so of they swing and miss too much they'll bleed money.

You're slowly getting to know the vets here...you will fit in just fine. If you look back closely, we have been talking from the same viewpoint these last few posts...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind OEM skins because they differentiate their products. If I wanted one UI and only one, I'd stay with Apple. Though as much as I love Sony's stock contacts, music and gallery apps, I completely abhor Samsung's dialer app. Stock Google calendar and contacts are useless to me and every single OEM default email client is a waste of time. I usually have to put in BlackBerry's Hub, contacts, calendar and keyboard on every device.

I wish I could pick and choose the best app from each different vendor but alas, only BlackBerry offers its wares to everybody. Given TCL's decision to say buh-bye to BlackBerry, who knows how much longer this will be an option.
That's it here. Because the Oems are chasing as much consumer dollars as possible, everything is safe and there is less diversity. The high end market is too mature to be taking too many risks. I prefer more control over my devices but oems aren't giving me that the same way as it was before.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Oems can swing the pendulum however they want. They're in the business of making super profits so of they swing and miss too much they'll bleed money.

You're slowly getting to know the vets here...you will fit in just fine. If you look back closely, we have been talking from the same viewpoint these last few posts...

Ya I usually do not care to talk much about industry or consumers honestly because above as you mentioned they will swing it whichever way they want lol. It is a shame that if the more one knows the less we have to focus on stuff... So it can be tough to even have an opinion some times you know what I mean?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It is like me going to the supermarket and trying to tell everyone carrying a Windows Phone 8 device around, warning them that the Windows Phone store shut down etc. They start asking me, "Does that mean my phone will stop working?"..
I had that happen to one person in a Circle K the other day.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
In hand feel of the S20 is better than the S10. Reminds me of a slightly better Mate 20 Pro. They went a bit longer and narrower here. Otherwise, S20 felt a bit "meh". Upgrade from design wise from the S8 and S9 for sure in hand feel wise as its a refined version of that style. To drop an S10 for this...i don't know. Maybe if you use the monkey trade ins but in a few months time straight up? Don't see it. View attachment 14190920200222_135358.jpeg

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
In hand feel of the S20 is better than the S10. Reminds me of a slightly better Mate 20 Pro. They went a bit longer and narrower here. Otherwise, S20 felt a bit "meh". Upgrade from design wise from the S8 and S9 for sure in hand feel wise as its a refined version of that style. To drop an S10 for this...i don't know. Maybe if you use the monkey trade ins but in a few months time straight up? Don't see it. View attachment 141909View attachment 141910

The only interesting thing about the Galaxy's to me is the 120hz. Yet even that is slightly gimmicky if you think about it. Because 90-120hz could have been enabled on these things long ago, they hold out and as mentioned swing the pendulum whichever way they need.

I like the size of it but this narrow aspect ratio is killing me, does anyone know the point of doing this? I about cried when I actually held the G7 One because almost everything about the device was great minus the notch and screen size/aspect ratio.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
At this point the only two devices I am holding out for are the Nokia 9 pureview and the Original Note10. However I am not sure about even the note10 until I go look at it in person...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The only interesting thing about the Galaxy's to me is the 120hz. Yet even that is slightly gimmicky if you think about it. Because 90-120hz could have been enabled on these things long ago, they hold out and as mentioned swing the pendulum whichever way they need.

I like the size of it but this narrow aspect ratio is killing me, does anyone know the point of doing this? I about cried when I actually held the G7 One because almost everything about the device was great minus the notch and screen size/aspect ratio.
Fast forward and the G7 design is comparativley more compact. Note 10 is a little narrower than the S10+.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Totally forgot you had one of these Note 9 things. Let us know how feel about the new UI.
The differences must be so subtle as to escape my eyes. Maybe the radius on the icon corners are 10 degrees tighter? Dark mode is not as black as the free Galaxy black theme you get at the Galaxy Store.

The device itself is amazing performance-wise and the camera is marginally below the Pixel although I may give it the edge on Night Mode. The FPS is a whip but a tad small and horribly placed but not the cluster**** from the S8/Note 8 series. But hey, at least it's there. The Sony XZ2 is the only other phone I can remember that turned me off completely with the FPS location.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The differences must be so subtle as to escape my eyes. Maybe the radius on the icon corners are 10 degrees tighter? Dark mode is not as black as the free Galaxy black theme you get at the Galaxy Store.

The device itself is amazing performance-wise and the camera is marginally below the Pixel although I may give it the edge on Night Mode. The FPS is a whip but a tad small and horribly placed but not the cluster**** from the S8/Note 8 series. But hey, at least it's there. The Sony XZ2 is the only other phone I can remember that turned me off completely with the FPS location.
I had one of the later xz series. I think the xz3. Center sensor. Literally centered on the back. I thought I'd be ok with it at first but hollee ergonmicall doofuses Batman! We keep circling back to the vendors swinging that pendulum I guess. Only thing that makes sense.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, setting up the V35. Almost back to what I want. I really wanted to give the LG keyboard a try but it ain't working for me.

I've tried to streamline it but there's a ton of bloats. Oh well. Form factor is still right up my alley and the battery i know will be so-so. Cannot have it all...

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, setting up the V35. Almost back to what I want. I really wanted to give the LG keyboard a try but it ain't working for me.

I've tried to streamline it but theres a ton of bloats. Oh well. Form factor is still right up my alley and the battery i know will be so-so. Cannot have it all...

It sounds like it's the closest device you have as a middle ground.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I had one of the later xz series. I think the xz3. Center sensor. Literally centered on the back. I thought I'd be ok with it at first but hollee ergonmicall doofuses Batman! We keep circling back to the vendors swinging that pendulum I guess. Only thing that makes sense.
Had an XZ2. The center FPS was sometimes a pain but I adjusted. I just put my finger on the camera lens a bit too much reaching for the FPS. That design was prime for a dual camera look with an in-screen FPS.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the new TWS headset after another round of calls on the Sabbats. Hope to have it by Friday as I do the free shipping. After knowing some of the travails faced by pickers working at Amazon, nothing I order can be seen as super urgent. That's a tough job they have with how rent less Bezos wants to push for convenience.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Had an XZ2. The center FPS was sometimes a pain but I adjusted. I just put my finger on the camera lens a bit too much reaching for the FPS. That design was prime for a dual camera look with an in-screen FPS.
Yeah but it still would make honorable mention for one of the worst placed FPS lol
Only until I put a case on it was I able to actually naturally use the FPS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehalwadehra