WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If they believed in making small phones that were at least midrange, I would have loved to try one. This sounds like a plan. I wish you good luck with selling the V40.
V35 and G7's can be found for a song these days. If you were getting an LG for music only, I would suggest one of those. More so the G7 with the boombox feature vs the V35. Still want to pop an SD card in there though as 64 GB internal doesnt cut it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Good enough to beat me a few times.
I learnt it very informally whilst she has a good support system.
Nice. I learned it informally as well. I always said to myself that if I ever had a kid, they'd have to learn it...even if it is just for the mental exercise and computational skills.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If they believed in making small phones that were at least midrange, I would have loved to try one. This sounds like a plan. I wish you good luck with selling the V40.
It'll work itself out just fine. I'll likely switch back to the V35 staring tomorrow and do an install similar to the 9 Pureview. The V40 will go into the box.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It's sad to say this, but I think everyone should have a closest LG device...even if it's for a back up. It's the reason why I didn't sell my G7+, as I earmarked it for a friend of mine.

I think I would be OK to moving the V40, using the V35 in the interim until I decide if I'm getting a V50 or a V60.

I want to see LG release another Android One device for 2020. I am hoping they do a V series model though next round.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I want to see LG release another Android One device for 2020. I am hoping they do a V series model though next round.
You know technically Android One is a skin, right?Google hasn't done true AOSP since kitkat?

My issue here is that Android One with tweaks to the DAC and camera app isn't enough as a skin to help LG (HMD has done this). Pure Android One wpnt help either. Sales have proven that. They can go with a lighter skin IF they can go quality of life route. They havent presented a case where the skin works as sensibly with the hardware since the G2. Even the G4 I loved was where the LG UX started to show its age.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
You know technically Android One is a skin, right?Google hasn't done true AOSP since kitkat?

My issue here is that Android One with tweaks to the DAC and camera app isn't enough as a skin to help LG (HMD has done this). Pure Android One wpnt help either. Sales have proven that. They can go with a lighter skin IF they can go quality of life route. They havent presented a case where the skin works as sensibly with the hardware since the G2. Even the G4 I loved was where the LG UX started to show its age.

Have you used the G7 One? and what specifically do you mean by "tweaks"?

Also what about upgrades and support? The G7 one has Android 10. That is two upgrades since it was released. Sometimes that in itself is enough.

BTW I could care less whether it is a skin or not. And You are right. Android versions have Skins unless it is AOSP, they just cannot get around that.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
In fact every graphical UI is a skin if you want to think about it that way. We(consumers) just expect that. Think of pure debian linux or even Windows Server. Strip the UX/UI and you have pure command based OS only. Same for BSD/Apple or any OS period. Even though we see Developers with AOSP roms it is how minimally they demand from the Desktop manager/Skin/UI that makes it what it is or is not.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you used the G7 One? and what specifically do you mean by "tweaks"?

Also what about upgrades and support? The G7 one has Android 10. That is two upgrades since it was released. Sometimes that in itself is enough.

BTW I could care less whether it is a skin or not. And You are right. Android versions have Skins unless it is AOSP, they just cannot get around that.
Not yet. Have you?

By tweaks I mean in these case USP (unique selling point). Currently, LG is offering the DAC in their music experience and their camera as their USP. Some OEMs do a full skin to tie into their hardware. Some do Android One with tweaks (Oneplus, HMD). Some use the Google skin as is.

I think youre missing my point. The market has changed in a way that it isn't about major software upgrades or security patches. It is about establishing a solid USP and making sure your hardware and software sing together well enough that it offers convenience for end users. People talking about Google's skin of Android as a USP (either Android One or Pixel ROM) misses the point - that hasn't been enough to move units. We used to **** on Damsung that Touch Wiz was bloated. They trimmed some of the fat with One UI. We said Touch Wiz was old, One UI modernized it enough. We said Samsung was slow with security patches, they've gotten better since the S10 line. We've seen some bad bugs pop up in

You buy an LG you know the DAC is good and the camera is solid. If you dint care about the DAC, why buy LG? Oneplus hardware wise is in LG's ballpark but the software + hardware experience is better. Just wait until Oneplus gets on Verizon...if they can move units there, look out. Its that same reason Verizon dropped the Pixel line now. Why buy LG? Their IoT accessories have not been successful so far. Wear OS has crippled their smart watch offerings as much as Qualcomm has. Outside of their wireless headphones, why buy LG? They havent fleshed out the ThinQ brand over their offerings to make it attractive yet.

So switching to an Android One ROM isn't enough to solve their issues. Being a cheaper Samsung doesn't work either. Apple gives fast updates for years. Google didnt offer that to Pixel until the Pixel 3. Samsung hasn't added on the 3 year support officially. Oneplus has been doing that since the 3T on the quiet. They need to be clear on their USP.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Not yet. Have you?

By tweaks I mean in these case USP (unique selling point). Currently, LG is offering the DAC in their music experience and their camera as their USP. Some OEMs do a full skin to tie into their hardware. Some do Android One with tweaks (Oneplus, HMD). Some use the Google skin as is.

I think youre missing my point. The market has changed in a way that it isn't about major software upgrades or security patches. It is about establishing a solid USP and making sure your hardware and software sing together well enough that it offers convenience for end users. People talking about Google's skin of Android as a USP (either Android One or Pixel ROM) misses the point - that hasn't been enough to move units. We used to **** on Damsung that Touch Wiz was bloated. They trimmed some of the fat with One UI. We said Touch Wiz was old, One UI modernized it enough. We said Samsung was slow with security patches, they've gotten better since the S10 line. We've seen some bad bugs pop up in

You buy an LG you know the DAC is good and the camera is solid. If you dint care about the DAC, why buy LG? Oneplus hardware wise is in LG's ballpark but the software + hardware experience is better. Just wait until Oneplus gets on Verizon...if they can move units there, look out. Its that same reason Verizon dropped the Pixel line now. Why buy LG? Their IoT accessories have not been successful so far. Wear OS has crippled their smart watch offerings as much as Qualcomm has. Outside of their wireless headphones, why buy LG? They havent fleshed out the ThinQ brand over their offerings to make it attractive yet.

So switching to an Android One ROM isn't enough to solve their issues. Being a cheaper Samsung doesn't work either. Apple gives fast updates for years. Google didnt offer that to Pixel until the Pixel 3. Samsung hasn't added on the 3 year support officially. Oneplus has been doing that since the 3T on the quiet. They need to be clear on their USP.

That is fine I understand. I still like different flavors even if the rest of the world won't buy it. And yes I have used the G7 one. I had to sell it though.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That is fine I understand. I still like different flavors even if the rest of the world won't buy it. And yes I have used the G7 one. I had to sell it though.

I also want to add that there is and was a reason Samsung is so late to the game with Patches/Upgrades etc. Same for LG or any other maker that customizes or relies so heavily on their own kernel tweaks and code. This is obvious. I am not so pleased by what the eye sees anymore honestly, and ease of use is to far forgotten from me that I only rely on a few things nowadays to stay functional and content. But as you mentioned the consumer will drive the selling points home. So if it is a microwave dinner ready device they want and need the top players will be sure to bring it to them. Look at Nokia and the PureView. So so many criticized the tar out of it. Yes some reasons were fair game but then folks got so burned by how the camera performed yet they do not realize how accustom they were to the skinned cameras of Samsung or LG etc. They had no idea what they were getting into. The tech behind the Nokia 9 pureview is well impressive imo, even if I am not a camera guru I know enough to see what they did here.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I also want to add that there is and was a reason Samsung is so late to the game with Patches/Upgrades etc. Same for LG or any other maker that customizes or relies so heavily on their own kernel tweaks and code. This is obvious. I am not so pleased by what the eye sees anymore honestly, and ease of use is to far forgotten from me that I only rely on a few things nowadays to stay functional and content. But as you mentioned the consumer will drive the selling points home. So if it is a microwave dinner ready device they want and need the top players will be sure to bring it to them. Look at Nokia and the PureView. So so many criticized the tar out of it. Yes some reasons were fair game but then folks got so burned by how the camera performed yet they do not realize how accustom they were to the skinned cameras of Samsung or LG etc. They had no idea what they were getting into. The tech behind the Nokia 9 pureview is well impressive imo, even if I am not a camera guru I know enough to see what they did here.
Let's start by saying this. Two middle fingers up dipped in manure to the influencers online...

..that is for those who the narrow view of general electronics. Apple and Samsung are making general electronics. HTC used to, so did LG and Sony. Now Sony makes something more niche, and so does LG by default. The targeted consumer doesn't want niche unless you make a good case for it as to why it makes things better.

LG had a great opportunity when the Note 7 happened. People went to the V20 as an alternative. Many were disappointed as it really wasn't. That was another niche device for a different type of consumer. They just didn't have the right big screen device to grab and keep those Note users who aren't Note users but wanted the big screen features. There is nothing wrong with making generalist devices. Nothing wrong with making niche ones too. But comparing everyone to Apple and Samsung doesn't work. It is partly why lots of phones get roasted. If people want to cover basics, plenty of mid range and budget flagships do that very well now. That's where the fight is. But flagships should have more diversity as their USPs should be different.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I think youre missing my point. The market has changed in a way that it isn't about major software upgrades or security patches.
Just so you know "consumers" really do not know what is best for them. Even if Samsung is late on patches and upgrades their devices are one of the most secure all around. I have known the Galaxy's to be some of the most hardened phones.

Unfortunately OEMs cannot swing the pendulum to far, because believe it or not Security/Patches/Upgrades are far far more important then they were even 1 or 2 years ago, and that need grows exponentially just the same as the way even technology meets milestones or achievements year after year. We cannot throw out all the bad or less appealing just to have fun, but we all know this. Yet the world in some ways seems to keep coming back to what they see on the outside. Even around forums people throw around the word patches (security) or vulnerabilities, or Upgrades even if they do not know what they mean or do or why. I am not saying that you fit this I am just saying in general....because some of those same consumers are the ones that look for the most screen real-estate and responsiveness on a slab phone before anything else.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It came out recently that some of the kernel changes Samsung has made makes their stuff a bit more vulnerable if you know where and how to look. When you buy Samsung you're buying that too. Some people don't mind, some do.

Remember, as enthusiasts, we know this. Most people don't care.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It is partly why lots of phones get roasted. If people want to cover basics, plenty of mid range and budget flagships do that very well now.
Yes. That and social media has completely upped and changed the game for almost every market not just tech and phones...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just so you know "consumers" really do not know what is best for them. Even if Samsung is late on patches and upgrades their devices are one of the most secure all around. I have known the Galaxy's to be some of the most hardened phones.

Unfortunately OEMs cannot swing the pendulum to far, because believe it or not Security/Patches/Upgrades are far far more important then they were even 1 or 2 years ago, and that need grows exponentially just the same as the way even technology meets milestones or achievements year after year. We cannot throw out all the bad or less appealing just to have fun, but we all know this. Yet the world in some ways seems to keep coming back to what they see on the outside. Even around forums people throw around the word patches (security) or vulnerabilities, or Upgrades even if they do not know what they mean or do or why. I am not saying that you fit this I am just saying in general....because some of those same consumers are the ones that look for the most screen real-estate and responsiveness on a slab phone before anything else.
Actually, consumers know what they want. They want performance in the form of convenience. If it is easy to use and certain features makes the day to day better, they're in. It's just that oems package that a certain way that states "if you do things this way, you will get your perceived convenience". Apple is notorious for that.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It came out recently that some of the kernel changes Samsung has made makes their stuff a bit more vulnerable if you know where and how to look. When you buy Samsung you're buying that too. Some people don't mind, some do.

Remember, as enthusiasts, we know this. Most people don't care.

Ya, there are trade offs to everything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Korshun