What is the best of the best WP phone?

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
So my sister is interested in getting a Windows phone. She's currently using blackberry and got tired of it and she's not really interested in getting an iphone.

She asked me what phone to get, the best one from windows phone, the most expensive, solid, not looks cheap, plasticky, modern, thin, good battery, preferably with aluminium/metal casing, etc etc...

She actually went and look for lumia, but since it's not available yet, the store only showed her the Nokia N9, and she doesn't like it. She said it feels like a teenager phone, feel cheap and plasticky. (Not really sure if Nokia N9 and Lumia are exactly using the same material). But she doesn't want a Lumia either (if it's like N9).

She wants something that can stand against apple phone in terms of built and material. Then it hits me... dang.. Windows Phone sort of doesn't have any... I'm using an HD7 myself, and I agree comparing HD7 with nokia N9, my HD7 still feels more solid than N9, I kinda feel the N9 looks like a toy. I agree with my sister that N9 feels cheap (at least compared to my HD7).

So can anyone recommend a solid wp phone that feels really solid?

Please, no flame war, this is a legitimate question from my sister. Otherwise, she's unfortunately have to get the iphone.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
So my sister is interested in getting a Windows phone. She's currently using blackberry and got tired of it and she's not really interested in getting an iphone.

She asked me what phone to get, the best one from windows phone, the most expensive, solid, not looks cheap, plasticky, modern, thin, good battery, preferably with aluminium/metal casing, etc etc...

She actually went and look for lumia, but since it's not available yet, the store only showed her the Nokia N9, and she doesn't like it. She said it feels like a teenager phone, feel cheap and plasticky. (Not really sure if Nokia N9 and Lumia are exactly using the same material). But she doesn't want a Lumia either (if it's like N9).

She wants something that can stand against apple phone in terms of built and material. Then it hits me... dang.. Windows Phone sort of doesn't have any... I'm using an HD7 myself, and I agree comparing HD7 with nokia N9, my HD7 still feels more solid than N9, I kinda feel the N9 looks like a toy. I agree with my sister that N9 feels cheap (at least compared to my HD7).

So can anyone recommend a solid wp phone that feels really solid?

Please, no flame war, this is a legitimate question from my sister. Otherwise, she's unfortunately have to get the iphone.

Titan. Or the upcoming Titan II, if you live in an LTE area. Both of Samsung's wp7 phones are plasticky. If Tmo has good coverage in your area it's worth looking at the HTC Radar. It's a smaller device, which could make it easier for her to use if she has small hands, and shares the metal unibody design element with the Titan. It has less storage and a slower processor, but the speed difference will be barely perceptable, as wp7 is still smooth as silk. It also edges out the Titan in battery life, but the Titan holds its own here.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 900 or HTC Titan 2 are way to go if you are in LTE area. March 18th I believe is the release dates on those. Should have high quality look and feel in hand and battery life should be good with the battery size they have, but the reviews will tell soon enough. All said above are good points as well.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree about the Titan and Titan II. The Titan has a metallic unibody that feels great in-hand. It is also big, so it will catch people's eyes more than just another iPhone. However, I'm not sure where you are from, as I didn't even know the N9 was available (or at least on display) in the US. Maybe if she didn't like the N9, she could try a white Lumia. It has a glossy finish, instead of the usual matte finish.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Have you looked at the Dell Venue Pro? Its a generation 1 phone but it is one of the better made device. dell just makes some sweet hardware.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi, unfortunately Titan 2 is not available here in Singapore. And so is dell venue pro. Or are they?
Also titan 2 casing goes back to plastic if I'm not mistaken.

If lumia 900 is using the same material like 800, i'm sure my sister won't like it either.

Wp has to be brave and comes up with an undisputable best of best flagship phone. Otherwise...

anything with metal, 64gb memory, hi quality camera, thin, modern design. Gorilka glass and powerful batery

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Ruling out the Lumia, leaves only the Titan.

However IMO the Lumia is better built than the lot, but I'm biased ;)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
HTC fans will have your head taken of for saying that. Sorry HTC fans but super LCD just not cut it on today's super amoled plus world.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
There's not a big difference on my Titan's SLCD screen compared to my Omnia 7 apart from blacks not being quite so black.

The colours are far more normal / natural looking than Amoled. Whites are pure white no blue tint.

I absolutely love the screen on my Titan compared to my Omnia 7 Winterfang. :)

I was very worried about going non amoled but, i needn't have worried a bit.

I can see it in bright sunshine too just like my Omnia.

HTC done a good job with their Titan's SLCD screen. :cool:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I went to AT&T and compared both the Titan and Focus S screens side to side and I found the Focus S to be a lot better.

I liked the design of the Titan better though and felt more comfortable on the hand, but I wasn't a fan of the screen at all. I wouldn't find myself wanting to buy it never.

That being said, is the best Windows Phone right now and I didn't notice any pixelation, like reviews said.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I find it just right, can't imagine going back to a smaller screen now. Even the Lumia 900 is smaller. :(

Not by much though, so maybe not notice it too much. :dry

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well once the Lumia 900 arrives and you have a play, you'll have to chose one, decisions, decisions. :)

You won't be the only one wondering Winterfang. :)

I hope 3 UK get the 900 so I can just get it on my upgrade. I don't think they will have anything else new available, but who knows.

They already have the 710 and 800 but I'm not wanting any of those.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the thing is, I like the design and screen of the 900 but the 800 camera is bad. And the 900 seems to be the same thing, I don't know who Carl Seizz is but he should be rolling on his grave to have his name on bad cameras (even if he is alive)

The Titan however already has a superior camera (I took various pictures at AT&T store) and the Titan 2 will have a better one.

Also the Titan 2 design is miles better than the original one so both should be pretty devices...

When is Mobile Congress going to come? It feels like no matter how much time passes is always two weeks away.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The better pull out a Sega Saturn and announce that the phones are already on AT&T =).

I guess we will also know if those phones will upgrade to apollo. Can't wait.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077