What Was Missing?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't help but notice that we didn't get to see a Lumia 929 at Nokia world. That makes sense, given the initial rumors that indicated the presence of just 6 devices (Ashas 500, 502, and 503; Lumias 1320, 1520, and 2520). Still, it's mildly disappointing to not see the 929 mentioned during the event.

In that same vein, that we have no 920/925/928 successor even RUMORED about is something which could easily be problematic. The majority of folks aren't going to want a 6-inch device. They're also not going to be excited about devices from late-2012 running hardware from early-2012, as the 92x devices out now do. Seeing them announce a 93x line soon, where we get refreshes in the 4.0-4.5" range is a must, in my opinion.

We also missed out on a new 52x device. This isn't as-big of a deal, given that the 520 and 521 are marketed towards the lower-end of the spectrum, which isn't a place where specs are big. Still, I hope that we see that well-received device get a Snapdragon 400-based refresh, like the 620 did with the release of the 625.

Finally, the announcement of Lumia Black for 2014 was a final disappointment. WPC reported (through The Verge) that Black is Bittersweet Shimmer, which is to be paired with GDR3. That means either The Verge is wrong (meaning Black goes with 8.1) or GDR3 is a 2014 release. Given that Elop mentioned Black during the address, but not Bittersweet Shimmer, it seems more-likely that we aren't going to get the late-2013 GDR3 update like we hoped.

Still, there was a lot on the software side to be glad to hear about (Storyteller, Beemer, Nokia Camera, Instagram, Temple Run 2, Vine, and so on). The hardware shown was impressive (with the exception of the 2520), it just seems like there is a GAPING hole about to open up with the initial line of devices (Lumia 520, 810, 820, 822, 920, 925, 928) all approaching a year old and needing refreshed.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The hardware shown was impressive (with the exception of the 2520),

From the first hands-on reviews I've read, the 2520 is much more impressive than the gigantic 1320 with low-end specs. It's much more massive than the 1520 with much better hardware in it.

However I agree, a high-end smartphone with a smaller screen would be desirable. But maybe it's just too soon after the 925 for Nokia.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping to see the 525. Not that I want one, but as the 520 is the most popular WP in the world and pretty much unbeatable for the price, I was intrigued to know what improvements/upgrades they were going to do with it.

I would have also liked to see a new 4.0-4.5" phone. As it stands 920 owners who are looking to upgrade can go to a 925 or 1020, otherwise it's a 6" phone. However like me who will upgrade sometime next year, if they don't bring a new 4.0-4.5" out in the next 6 months or so, yes the 925 and 1020 are great phones but will some people see them as 'old'. I can see me getting a 1020 next year and I'd be more than happy with that, but some people like to have a 'new' phone when they upgrade.

I'm not sure with the Black update. I believe, if you want GDR3 now, then get it through the dev program through Microsoft, which I did. Otherwise, wait until Black, which I presume is GDR3+Nokia's new features/apps. 8.1 is not Black as I far as I understand it.

I think overall though, they shown off some very nice phones and I am genuinely impressed with the 1520.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Missing for me:
-A 1020 with an 800 snapdragon processor and 1080p.
-The promise we will get all the 8.1 in the coming months

8.1 hasn't been announced even yet, just GDR3 last week, so why would they give any information about updates to an unannounced product?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the negative in not announcing Lumia 920 like devices.

As someone said above, those who have a 920 can upgrade to the 1020....Same screen size with same ram as the 1320/1520 and with a much better camera(there really is no really reason for anyone to go from a 920 to 925, in fact with half of the memory it is a downgrade).

Wait till Spring 2014 and you could very well see the 2nd Gen refresh versions of Windows Phone 8 paired alongside the windows phone 8.1 update where they could very well announce an updated 920/925/928 device. It won't surprise me to see Lumia 520, 620 and 720 device refreshes next year as well.

This is the beginning of second gen WIndows phone 8 devices so i am not too worried....

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Imo this is exactly where Nokia should go. Not banging its head to US market, but rather concentrate to its core markets where it actually sells its phones, and always has. Same that Sony is doing on Android and doing great at the moment. Those are also the markets where the future growth is coming, and include markets like China that is already world largest smartphone market. Let alone how huge it will be in couple of years.
These 6-inch phones are essentially for Nokia's strong markets, that also happen to be huge phablet markets where most of the near 30 million phablets per quarter are sold. Phablets are also the market that is growing at rapid rate.

Though naturally I can understand some here being gutted about no ~4-inch device. This does also highlight the importance of Lumia 1020. It will be Nokia's smaller screened device for a while as 1080 screens are geared towards 5-6-inch devices.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the negative in not announcing Lumia 920 like devices.

As someone said above, those who have a 920 can upgrade to the 1020....Same screen size with same ram as the 1320/1520 and with a much better camera(there really is no really reason for anyone to go from a 920 to 925, in fact with half of the memory it is a downgrade).

Wait till Spring 2014 and you could very well see the 2nd Gen refresh versions of Windows Phone 8 paired alongside the windows phone 8.1 update where they could very well announce an updated 920/925/928 device. It won't surprise me to see Lumia 520, 620 and 720 device refreshes next year as well.

This is the beginning of second gen WIndows phone 8 devices so i am not too worried....

I'm worried since, Samsung hasn't bothered to release another device, HTC is in trouble, and Huawei is confusing and clueless.

Nokia/Microsoft will be the only OEM that will most likely release a device running Windows Phone 8.1...

cuwe

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't help but notice that we didn't get to see a Lumia 929 at Nokia world. That makes sense, given the initial rumors that indicated the presence of just 6 devices (Ashas 500, 502, and 503; Lumias 1320, 1520, and 2520). Still, it's mildly disappointing to not see the 929 mentioned during the event.

In that same vein, that we have no 920/925/928 successor even RUMORED about is something which could easily be problematic. The majority of folks aren't going to want a 6-inch device. They're also not going to be excited about devices from late-2012 running hardware from early-2012, as the 92x devices out now do. Seeing them announce a 93x line soon, where we get refreshes in the 4.0-4.5" range is a must, in my opinion.

We also missed out on a new 52x device. This isn't as-big of a deal, given that the 520 and 521 are marketed towards the lower-end of the spectrum, which isn't a place where specs are big. Still, I hope that we see that well-received device get a Snapdragon 400-based refresh, like the 620 did with the release of the 625.

Finally, the announcement of Lumia Black for 2014 was a final disappointment. WPC reported (through The Verge) that Black is Bittersweet Shimmer, which is to be paired with GDR3. That means either The Verge is wrong (meaning Black goes with 8.1) or GDR3 is a 2014 release. Given that Elop mentioned Black during the address, but not Bittersweet Shimmer, it seems more-likely that we aren't going to get the late-2013 GDR3 update like we hoped.

Still, there was a lot on the software side to be glad to hear about (Storyteller, Beemer, Nokia Camera, Instagram, Temple Run 2, Vine, and so on). The hardware shown was impressive (with the exception of the 2520), it just seems like there is a GAPING hole about to open up with the initial line of devices (Lumia 520, 810, 820, 822, 920, 925, 928) all approaching a year old and needing refreshed.

I hope they will anounce new date for the Black updates .

zinksilver

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Where was the Treasure Tag and new Bluetooth accessories though?

And the Lumia Black which supposedly brings BT 4.0 LE to the 920, 925 etc?

nokia-treasure-tag-leaks-big.jpg
(where is this? I want it so much :/ )

zinksilver

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Refocus revealed

Woooooooh! It looks like the 920 and 925 will get the Nokia Refocus lens app. It looks amazing! :D
I'm also excited for Nokia Beamer, but didn't see the live keynote and can't seem to find many information online. Will someone recap it for me?
(edit, sorry guys, just found it on the Windows Phone blog).

Nokia Beamer

Share your experience and ideas easily and instantly with friends or colleagues by projecting your phone screen to any HTML5-enabled screen. You can also beam your phone’s screen to someone far away by sending them a link by email, SMS or via social media. Documents, maps, locations details, or even your camera viewfinder will be shown as you can see it, live and real.

Also, Lumia Black seems to be rolling out early 2014 with Nokia Beamer, Storyteller, Nokia Camera and updated Glance Screen.

Last edited:

Donut Y

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
As a Verizon user, I'm very, very, very disappointed at the lack of a 929 announcement.

Was also hoping for a Snapchat announcement, but that was just dreaming.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Yes, as a 928 user, I was hoping for a bit of an upgrade for Verizon. I understand that Nokia needs to focus on where they have market share, but would have been nice to see a 4.5" device upgrade. But still, I love my 928.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is not apple. We shouldn't expect an arbitrary spec upgrade on the year. Honestly, I think its fine to wait a little longer to refresh to x30 series... The processing power built into the current generation runs every app I've thrown at it without any issue.

Marva Solomon

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I am disappointed there is not a Nokia 929 as well. I was planning to get one in November. I do not want to buy the 928 that is already half a year old right now. I'd go for the 1020, but it's AT&T.

Why do they even do that exclusive crud anymore? That is sooooo 2002.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb