What will Microsoft do about the new Amazon phone?

Jeremy1988

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
This actually concerns me a bit.
It seemed like before, Amazon was a fairly neutral digital content provider that wasn't going to lock me into a particular platform.

Now, I'm kind of worried that Amazon is eventually going to try and use existing Kindle and Instant Video purchases as a "hook" to push people over to their Kindle and Fire platforms to continue using those services. Sort of like Google and Apple.

A lot of people already have big investments in Amazon's ecosystem, and it seemed like Microsoft had a fairly good relationship with them before. I wonder now how this is going to affect Amazon's support for things like Kindle, Instant Video, and other services on Windows and WP. Will they just try to kill off Microsoft as a competitor by taking all those services off of Windows/WP platforms?

I'm wondering what Microsoft is going to do about the new Amazon phone. I mean, they were already competing with Apple and Google, but trying to deal with a tough new competitor that already has everyone by their Kindles...

Any thoughts on this?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Amazon really cannot remove support for Windows PCs, as this would result in a massive loss of customers from Prime. As is at this point, the Amazon phone will be an AT&T exclusive. There are far more US customers who subscribe to Prime that aren't AT&T subscribers already.

I see the Amazon phone as more of something to entice users to subscribe to Prime rather than compete with Microsoft, Apple and Google. Just like the way the Amazon streaming music is something to entice more people to subscribe to Prime than directly compete against Apple, Google, Microsoft or Spotify.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Have to agree 100%. As a owner of two Kindle Fires I like the setup and the Amazon app store for them. But I own four WP8 phones and plan on updating my 820 when they come out with something better. I have no plans on even looking at the Fire Phone. I think it was even more interesting that Blackberry signed a deal with Amazon for the Z10 to use the Amazon app store for their Android apps. Interesting. There are so many android app stores you could not ever use the Google Play Store and except for Google explicit apps you would never know the difference. With 1Mobile Market, MoboMarket, GetJar, Amazon App store etc, etc, etc if you know what you are doing you could avoid Google and never miss it. Hell I don't even use Chrome, with FireFox, Explorer, Opera, Opera mini, Maxthon, Dolphin, UC and others there are plenty of other browsers to use without ever touching a Google Browser. Got nothing against Google, I think they have done a great job building Android into the most popular Mobile OS system there is. I just choose to use Windows Phone for my phones and Amazon's OS for my tablets. Aint it nice to have so many choices.

Besides I think the phone is too expensive for what they are trying to do with it. Bet the price comes down quickly.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Amazon really cannot remove support for Windows PCs, as this would result in a massive loss of customers from Prime. As is at this point, the Amazon phone will be an AT&T exclusive. There are far more US customers who subscribe to Prime that aren't AT&T subscribers already.

"I see the Amazon phone as more of something to entice users to subscribe to Prime rather than compete with Microsoft, Apple and Google.
'
Just like the way the Amazon streaming music is something to entice more people to subscribe to Prime than directly compete against Apple, Google, Microsoft or Spotify.

Eggzacty!
Spot on...

Amazon jacked the price on Prime right about the time I was going to subscribe.
I backed away after seeing the cost hike.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
The upcoming Nokia McLaren supposedly is going to utilize 3D touch technology sourced from Kinect. Which is a superior technology compared to what the Amazon phone is going to use. I very much doubt the Amazon phone even passes Blackberry in market share much less Windows Phone at a parsley 3% market share.

The kindle only sells well because it's so incredibly cheap when compared to the iPad mini and other comparably sized tablets. As for Amazon TV box, I'd like to see the day when more living rooms have Amazon TV, Apple TV or Chromecast than there are Xbox and PlayStation consoles. Doubt that happens.

ACynicalLamp

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The coolest thing about the Fire is the Firefly feature, in my opinion. Depending on how good it is at detecting movies it could be a refreshing edition to the whole mobile search field ( I don't care it redirects to Amazon stuff).

Kind of makes me wish Cortana could snag a feature like that.

I'm also not too worried about competition from the Fire either. The 3D they have is to make the screen appear 3D. Watch a video it comes off as gimmicky, especially when the guy tries to use the map to find Thai restaurants (you have to angle the phone a certain way to see the reviews otherwise they show up as dots on the map). However, you can turn that feature off.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
This a joke right? Microsoft doesn't need to anything about Amazons phone. smdh
Thought the same thing. Their phone is going to be a massive bomb. It's way too overpriced and requires a contract with carrier exclusivity. Amazon is just starting to release a phone and they already think they can compete with the iPhone price wise ($100 to go to 64GB for real?). I had interest in getting on for like $250-$300 off contract but $650/$750 is laughable.

Not to mention Microsoft is still trying to enter the market with Windows Phone, so I don't know why Amazon things they stand a better chance.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't Amazon have to actually offer services on WP for it to effect us? Lol

Of course Amazon is trying to "hook" consumers via their Ecosystem. Same as all major platforms.

Maybe Microsoft should pull a Blackberry and port the Amazon App Store and get on Amazon's good side. Lol. We will never see a Prime App until the phones are running full Windows.

Jeremy1988

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Isn't the fire phone still android? So it really isn't competing against Amazon so much as It is merely competing against yet another android phone.
Oh, it's just another Android phone?

I heard they had their own OS or something. If it's just another Android phone, it may well blend right into the crowd.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh, it's just another Android phone?

I heard they had their own OS or something. If it's just another Android phone, it may well blend right into the crowd.
It's a "forked" version of Android, similar to what they use on the Kindle Fire. It doesn't have access to the Google Play store so you're totally tied to Amazon. I don't see this phone going anyplace unless they drastically reduce the price. It's a mid-range phone at a premium phone price.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
This actually concerns me a bit.
It seemed like before, Amazon was a fairly neutral digital content provider that wasn't going to lock me into a particular platform.

Now, I'm kind of worried that Amazon is eventually going to try and use existing Kindle and Instant Video purchases as a "hook" to push people over to their Kindle and Fire platforms to continue using those services. Sort of like Google and Apple.

A lot of people already have big investments in Amazon's ecosystem, and it seemed like Microsoft had a fairly good relationship with them before. I wonder now how this is going to affect Amazon's support for things like Kindle, Instant Video, and other services on Windows and WP. Will they just try to kill off Microsoft as a competitor by taking all those services off of Windows/WP platforms?

I'm wondering what Microsoft is going to do about the new Amazon phone. I mean, they were already competing with Apple and Google, but trying to deal with a tough new competitor that already has everyone by their Kindles...

Any thoughts on this?

made me laugh...well if microsoft want to overcome this obstacle maybe they should release a "kindle buster" :evil:

MattW19

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
One thing that I'd be interested in with Amazon's phone is how well they are able to convert people who have a normal Android device but bought apps through Amazon's Android App store. One of the main barriers for many people to switching is having all those paid games and apps that they'd lose with a platform switch.

It could be a good model for Microsoft to follow - turn the Nokia X Store into a service - an app store for all Android devices that makes sure that most/all paid app purchases include a Windows/Windows Phone copy of that same app/game - or perhaps a credit back when you switch to get an equivalent where there's not a port.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This a joke right? Microsoft doesn't need to anything about Amazons phone. smdh

The OP didn't say he was worried about the phone technology or competition with WP. He said he was worried that Amazon might be planning to make their services and media content more closed, in an attempt to bring people to their devices.

I have the same concern because I buy much of my digital content from Amazon. I prefer Amazon because it is neutral and "cross platform". I don't think Amazon's phone is going to change this for the same reason's that Laura described, but I can related to the OPs concern.

If the Amazon phone is going to do anything, my guess is it's biggest impact will be to dilute the Android market further. In other words, it will be another Android device, but it will have absolutely nothing in common with Google services based Android phones or any of the other Android phones out there.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It could be a good model for Microsoft to follow - turn the Nokia X Store into a service - an app store for all Android devices that makes sure that most/all paid app purchases include a Windows/Windows Phone copy of that same app/game - or perhaps a credit back when you switch to get an equivalent where there's not a port.

I like this idea in theory. It does have some drawbacks. I don't know what apps are in Nokia X Store, but say for example a Nokia X user uses Whatsapp, Skype, or Facebook. They switch to WP, and they still have the app, but it's not nearly as good as the Android version they had. Or in the case of Facebook, it's not 1st party. What happens then?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
HTC First anyone?

Yeah - I was gonna ask if anyone remembered the "Facebook" phone.

I think Amazon really missed the mark with on-contract pricing and carrier. They are pretty draconian about jailbreaking their devices as well, so there seems be little utility to the Fire phone beyond yet another conduit for Prime subs. And for that, a Fire HDX is far more useful - except for having a phone - which everyone already has anyway.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's a "forked" version of Android, similar to what they use on the Kindle Fire. It doesn't have access to the Google Play store so you're totally tied to Amazon. I don't see this phone going anyplace unless they drastically reduce the price. It's a mid-range phone at a premium phone price.

Android IS a forked version........of Linux.

rheuser

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
The existing Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 apps are poor anyway. Amazon is clearly not giving Windows Apps the functions needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo