What's the state of Windows 10 Mobile? Is it worth it right now?

Pretec

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

I've been a Windows Phone user for a long time (Windows Phone 7, and then Windows Phone 8 on Lumia 920 with Windows Phone 8.1 Denim), but 4 months ago I switched to Android just to see how the ecosystem was like (Nexus 5X 32GB)... Bottom line, I hated and sold it yesterday for the following reasons:

• It's slow when it matters. In Android everything is an App, the Phone app and the messaging app have the same priorities as any other apps, which means they're slow to open. Opening apps was also slow and it became slower (for example, opening Opera took 6 seconds on the Nexus 5x) and slower as more applications were installed. In my Lumia 920, the Internet Explorer, Phone and messages were a lot faster to open.
  • It becomes progressively slower, which does not happen as much as Windows Phone. As more applications are installed, Android becomes slower into a crawl. For example, I had hundreds of apps, and my Nexus 5X was unbelievable slow. Restarting the phone took like 5 minutes, and when upgrading it had to check all the apps (the monthly security updates took like 40 minutes).

Anyway, now that I sold the Nexus 5X I was wondering what's the state of Windows Phone 10 right now (I'm thinking on getting a Lumia 950XL). I've watched several reviews upon launch and, according to them it was full of bugs. Have the bugs been corrected?
What about apps?

In your honest opinion, is it worth it? If it's not, I'm going into the Iphone route (although I don't like Apple that much).

Regards.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Depends what means "worth it" for you. It's fluid, in my opinion it has nicer UI than 8.1 but that is just personal preference I believe, many popular apps were/are being developed for Windows 10 Mobile (mostly UWP apps). However there still is no Snapchat (just saying in case you care about that) and some people find certain apps unreliable. If you're from US I believe you can get the 950 now for a good price, if you aren't sure yet though I'd recommend you to check out the 640 first.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's about as good as it's going to get for the near term with W10m AU rolled out. Opinions differ about the 950s, but I have found it surprisingly solid except for reception which was better on my 920. I'm enjoying W10m after coming really close to jumping. Apps aren't in great shape so it depends what you want. I've not found the situation worse for my use than the WP8.1 generation, but only a fool would say the windows store can substitute for the app store on ios.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
reading your complains about android all I can tell you is w10m is pretty much the same now

but yea forget the buggy messy 950 launch, latest build 14393(anniversary update) runs good enough that I can recommend w10m again to some degree, and your last point still stands I think it doesnt really matter how much you install or do, w10m remains at the same performance, BUT, that performance is not as consistent as before, and with microsoft mandating updates all the time, they tend to break as many things as they fix, including battery life

if you can get a 950 XL for a good price(around 400-500$ i'd say) then yes, its probably worth it, for you, considering you are a fan

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Everyone will give you their own opinion, which varies based on preference and experience. One person, such as yourself, will try Android or iPhone and hate it. The next will try it and wonder why they didn't switch a long time ago. There is no right or wrong here. We have choices, which is a good thing!

The only way to know for sure is to try it. It doesn't seem like budget is a big issue for you, so try a W10M device. If it ends up working well for you, great! If not, sell it and buy an iPhone.

Ntois

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I bought 950 new for 260 euros and I love it. I really engoy the platform, it is my fist windows phone and I do not miss anything from android. The platform is getting better and better and if you see a potential and you like it go for w10 mobile. I became a fun and I do not hide it, I really like the interface, the basic apps are all available (facebook, viber, whats up,skype, instagram, clouds like mega , shazam, soundhound, office, autocad 360), but if people stop supporting the platform it will die and microsoft sales weren't good this year. if you want something that have all the apps available and future apps first served I would say :go for android but you did not like i. It depends on the price also, I would never bought the lumia 950 if it wasnt in discount, I can tell you that if you can find it for about 300 euros or the XL for 350-400 it is wotrh it for sure. It is a high end device with amazing screen and camera, the interface it is beautiful and the apps the most people use are there. After the au the battery life is great also. It is your choise, for me android is boring but more functional in some ways, ios is very expensive and I never tried it also I do not have a mac so I cant tell you my opinion about apple, on the other hand w10m for my perspective deserves a bigger audience and it has a lot of potential so I do not regret my choise to go for a lumia 950 than an android. I hope microsoft will build new phones to boost the market but a lot of people are saying that it will not. I cant believe why the do not make an anouncement that they will build new phones to boost the market, this is a terrible strategy and people go in other platforms for that reason.

So to sum up if you didnt like android in a nexus I dont think you will like it in other devices because it will run slower and the updates are also slower if they support them, apple for my perspective is very expensive and to go with apple you also want a mac and an ipad to use the whole ecosystem, from videos I watched iphones run all the apps great and fast on the other hand.
For me w10 mobile is platform that can be the best in the future and people must support it if they want w10m to survive and do not mind if facebook makes 2 seconds more to load or if they do not have snapchat.

Sandra Milo

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. Loved my 1520 but dropped it in a lake trying to take photos from a dock :( Had to use an iPhone 4S until the 950xl was released. Bought one directly from local Microsoft store in November 2015. It's okay, but IMO the 1520 was better.

avivzan

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Everyone will give you their own opinion, which varies based on preference and experience. One person, such as yourself, will try Android or iPhone and hate it. The next will try it and wonder why they didn't switch a long time ago. There is no right or wrong here. We have choices, which is a good thing!

The only way to know for sure is to try it. It doesn't seem like budget is a big issue for you, so try a W10M device. If it ends up working well for you, great! If not, sell it and buy an iPhone.

completely agree with you

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

I've been a Windows Phone user for a long time (Windows Phone 7, and then Windows Phone 8 on Lumia 920 with Windows Phone 8.1 Denim), but 4 months ago I switched to Android just to see how the ecosystem was like (Nexus 5X 32GB)... Bottom line, I hated and sold it yesterday for the following reasons:

• It's slow when it matters. In Android everything is an App, the Phone app and the messaging app have the same priorities as any other apps, which means they're slow to open. Opening apps was also slow and it became slower (for example, opening Opera took 6 seconds on the Nexus 5x) and slower as more applications were installed. In my Lumia 920, the Internet Explorer, Phone and messages were a lot faster to open.
  • It becomes progressively slower, which does not happen as much as Windows Phone. As more applications are installed, Android becomes slower into a crawl. For example, I had hundreds of apps, and my Nexus 5X was unbelievable slow. Restarting the phone took like 5 minutes, and when upgrading it had to check all the apps (the monthly security updates took like 40 minutes).

Anyway, now that I sold the Nexus 5X I was wondering what's the state of Windows Phone 10 right now (I'm thinking on getting a Lumia 950XL). I've watched several reviews upon launch and, according to them it was full of bugs. Have the bugs been corrected?
What about apps?

In your honest opinion, is it worth it? If it's not, I'm going into the Iphone route (although I don't like Apple that much).

Regards.

IMO it is not there yet and will it ever be? If you look at the big picture are you comfortable with it, does the platform fulfill your needs and will it in the near future, do you care? Not seeing it myself especially when history is taken into account, too much instability as to where it may be going/has gone for my liking, living on hopes and dreams can only take something so far cuz sooner or later "substance" needs to take precedence for anything to succeed.

On a side note... Owned several Androids 2012 and earlier and now in the present, have never experience the anomalies to the extent you so stated using the Nexus 5x. Were you being overzealous with your annalist of its performance, was it maybe a faulty handset, were you just frustrated with the "new" platform and not giving it an honest go? Just sayin cuz I see all too often many bashing Android/iOS in what I perceive to be "just don't like it" attitudes. Fine not to not like something but another to go over the top because of a dislike then unjustly bash. When I was a full-on WP addict and now Android you know what my first recommendations as to a device for those asking is, iPhone, that's cuz it has its merits fitting most people I know needs, we look past our choice/preference and base it on their best interests. On the other hand, WP history does not lend itself well for a recommendation, has its merits too but living dangerously close to the edge negates many of the "good", similar reasons as to why I am no longer a BB advocate.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
"Sell it" can be subjective, put my Ativ S, L1020 and L830 on the auction bock at bargain basement prices, pretty dismal responses with only the first two selling, not a single response on my 830 over several months time. As much as you'd think many aren't aware of WPs status in the marketplace I'd say they are, this could/will have an impact on your bottom line and what one can expect in return.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Just got back from my local Microsoft store. I did not see the phones at first, and unless I would have gone to the tucked away corner where accessories are, I would have thought they don't sell them anymore. Moreover, phones used to be on nice stands - you pull the phone away from charger stand, and put it back. Now when you try to pick one up, the wire is pulled with it - it is almost like they are discouraging you "No!! Don't buy it!". Sad state of affairs, really. I miss 2013, when phones appeared to be innovative, ahead of the curve in some regard (hardware/camera, design/color, fluid beautiful interface). I would not advise anyone to buy a Windows Phone...excuse me...Windows MOBILE phone right now. And I was the biggest fan.

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

What about apps?

Regards.
Go to the Microsoft Store online. A link to Windows phones is no longer on the first page...case closed.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
wonder if they will run out of stock and be considered a rare hard to find-therefore-expensive device in the near future

Ha, wouldn't that be interesting? Actually, they're already kind of hard to find unless you count the Microsoft Store and the Internet. That's probably one of the main reason I'm still hanging on to my Lumias even after I switched back to Android.

As for the OP, I say just give W10m a try, and if you don't like it, just return it. Don't just take people's word for it.

Dreznik Xerakof

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
My advice would be to first list out your most essential apps (the absolute must haves) and then check their availability on WM10. This way you will know what you are getting into. Apps have never been my thing, I prefer the full functionality of the desktop version of various sites. For things like WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. WM10 has you covered. If aesthetics drives your mobile experience, then you really have no choice beyond WM10. Android can be dressed up but still operates like crap, as you have already mentioned. The OS vulnerability to malware, Trojans, etc. add to cons of the platform. There is of course the option of Cyanogenmod and other custom roms if you are interested. iOS always felt like the drama queen OS to me, with its outdated closed file system approach, pathetic battery life, boring UI, etc. Even clearing space off iCloud is such a runaround.

Now WM10 is not perfect, not by a long shot. But it is still the most interesting even at the basic level (WM10 live tiles vs iOS & Android icons). I throw in my vote for a 1520 (my current device) over the 950xl, if you are keen on returning to WM10. It would be great if we had concrete information about the Surface Phone release date, which would be a better choice (he said with fingers crossed remembering the first surface release). Hope this helps, I wish you well in your explorations.

Last edited:

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

What about apps?

Regards.

That was unfortunate you picked the Nexus 5x....that phone has problems even after all the updates and is a fact. Then add 100+ apps with not enough RAM......you got a hand held dump truck! I have several android phones some 2 years old, and they don't act like you have stated.

I use both android and win phones....luv the win10 UI and all....but its not working good enough yet and the immense lack of apps (I only need a handful that Win does not have), keep my on my android devices because they are the best devices for me to be productive with a phone in MY situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb