What's the Stupidest thing you have had said or asked about your Windows phone?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, XXNUZ. I used WP7 from the time it was available on Verizon up to the day WP8 launched on Verizon. If WP8 hadn't come out, and I hadn't been such a geek that I had to have 8, I'd still be using 7. :wink:

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Stuff Magazine has recently reviewed the Nokia Lumia 1520, there's a part in the review where they say there's no official YouTube app which is unforgivable!
Nokia Lumia 1520 is my next phone and I have already had friends say its stupid there's NO Youtube Id never buy a phone that hasn't got that....
Do these Magazine reviewers actually use the phone for more than a minute?

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Stuff Magazine has recently reviewed the Nokia Lumia 1520, there's a part in the review where they say there's no official YouTube app which is unforgivable!
Nokia Lumia 1520 is my next phone and I have already had friends say its stupid there's NO Youtube Id never buy a phone that hasn't got that....
Do these Magazine reviewers actually use the phone for more than a minute?

Well, there really isn't an official app and official apps tend to trump 3rd parties on most cases (or preferences)... I'm happy with Metrotube, mind you.
----------

"That's a Nokia, right? Well, you're screwed, they're dropping support since Nokia no longer exists... It was bought by Microsoft!"

I had to contain myself not to roll my eyes to the back of my head because it was a person I have met just yesterday. But it's great to know my work colleagues are so well informed... Even if it's not a tech related line of work.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
About a year ago I had problem with my L710. Went to fix it to local phone store, few dudes (from Egypt) fixing there phones. When they saw I got Nokia all of them were saying I should get something from android or iPhone because Nokia is not popular now as it used to be few years ago and nobody is buying them anymore (I think in the USA it never was popular). But I always loved Nokia and said I really don't care if its popular or not I just love it and want you to fix it (I ended up buying new L710 from them,they messed up with my first one).

XXNUZ

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
People say that my phone will crash every time I open something because that's what XP does

Sent from my purple velociraptor running Windows Phone 7.8

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a few of them but a recent one was a women who was using an Iphone asked me, is that a Windows Phone? After telling her yes she said they are rubbish! I asked her what's rubbish about them, she said, you cant send texts with them.
She wasn't actually thinking they were say, difficult to text on, she actually thought Windows Phones don't allow texting. How stupid can you get...

I heard from my friend - "It does everything excpt for what you need!!" . I reverted, so you mean, your droid wipes the **** out of your **** :p :-D

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
In a Wind Mobile store in Toronto, just a little over a month ago:

Me: I want to buy this HTC phone with Windows on it.
Sales agent: That is antiquated
Me: What do you mean?
Sales agent: It's not being produced anymore
Me: So? I don't care about the latest greatest technology I just want this phone
Sales agent: You don't want it, it's no good....

...then, she tries to sell $700+ Samsungs to me.

I ended up getting the Nokia Lumia 520 instead, from another provider.

Unrelated conversations:
Person: My phone is broke. I need a new phone. I hate this iphone
Me: What phone are you going to buy?
Person: Another iphone
Me: ...why?
Person: I'm just used to it, I don't want to learn new technology.

(same person, another conversation)
Person: Oh, you got a new phone. Is it an iphone?
Me: No, it's a Nokia Windows phone.
Person: Ew, I hate windows
Me: Why?
Person: I don't know, I have a mac at home and use an iphone, I'm just used to it.

........how did these people initially introduce themselves to iphones in the first place with that attitude?! There seems to be a lot of the same comments with regards to Apple fans.. they're just "used to it."

Alligator42

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
When it was time to replace my company phone, I had a choice been an iPhone and a Windows phone. I chose the Windows phone, and I get the same questions over and over.

"What's that?"
"My phone. It's a Windows phone." I reply.
"Why didn't you get the iPhone?" They ask.
"Because I actually like being able to see my screen. And I love the feel of this phone." I respond, holding my Nokia 925.
"Oh." The other person usually responds. They then walk away with a comment like "I thought you were an Apple user."
To which I'm happy to respond with "I was. I'm not anymore."

It feels nice not to be in the majority, and I don't mind if it stays that way.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
But to be honest... they aren't that wrong. They're just not informed about the new "update".
They still think WP8 is not that different from WP7, and we all know how bad WP7 was.

Bad? It was awesome, revolutionary really.

Just to change it up, there were 5 people looking at Windows Phone at the ATT store yesterday, not one person at any other kiosk! All amazed at how beautiful they look. It's getting there!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Fixed:

When I upgraded to Lumia 920, I told my friend and his comments were

Friend: Why didn't you take iphone?
Me: Because I don't like it
Friend: But you should have taken iphone
Me: If I don't like it then how can I take it
Friend: iPhone is better
Me: Do you know anything about L920
Friend: No
Me: Then how can you compare iphone with a product about which you don't know anything
EX-Friend: But you should have bought iphone (walked away)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So I was hanging out at a store today and heard this...
Guy, "I want to add a line to my account for my gf, her ATT contract is up."
Rep, "Okay great! We have X, Y, and Z phones on sale right now."
Guy, "Honey you need to get the GS3 like me."
Girl, "I wanna look around a little bit."

So she goes over to the Windows Phone wall and is playing with the 8X. She's talking about how cool it is and how nicely it's built.

Guy, "Oh, that's a Windows Phone. They're totally junk. They're not even worth the parts they're made out of."
Rep, "Wow man, that's pretty harsh. Its actually really cool, just needs a few more apps."
Guy, "Microsoft has totally ruined everything with this metro crap. C'mon hun. Get the GS3."
I decided to chime in, "I have that HTC and it's the best phone I've ever carried, way better than the GS3 I have for work."
Girl, "I guess I'll just go with the S3. In black."

I was literally blown away. Like, you're so in bed with Google that you can't even let your girlfriend get a phone she likes, or at least let her get information about it?
As strange as it may sound, YOU may have been what made her go with the Android. The guy is clearly the insecure type. She may have been thinking: Do I buy the phone I like a little better and put up with his pouting or claiming I took the side of a stranger over him. OR do I buy the Android and keep him a while longer to see if he can become a man?

tamanasi

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I agreed with you, Android is a better mature mobile OS. I migrated to WP8 after the purchase of my Nokia Lumia 1520 and I love it. The only thing I miss from Android is the ability to upload docs files from the browser. I hope Microsoft add that feature in a future OS upgrade.

actually you can do that with IE 11 in WP 8.1.. I tried replying to an email with the attachment once.. IE has an in built file picker that serves the cause.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Oh I know, but no one wants to do that. They go on the store and see "$9.99" for Weave and get all pissed without even noticing the Try option.

I felt the same when I didn't know much about the store when I saw wpcentral was 0.99. Then I noticed try is like free version without taking more space in the store.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

SIMONator24

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
the thing i keep hearing from android users is that windows phone doesn't have background wallpapers. Even though the lock screen does, my brother hates wp due to this reason. Although he doesn't really like wp in general for other differences, but that one seems silly to me.
wp8.1 😁

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
A doctor at my hospital : which phone? it's beautiful!
me : nokia, with windows!
the Doctor : does it come with android?
me : you just made it clear it's not meant for you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254