When is the WP7 OS update coming out!?

tripower

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Is MS for real? It is already February and still no update, what gives? Has anyone heard anything? And are they going to ramp up the availability of apps, especially popular apps like Pandora?

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
There has been a serious amount of confusion as to Microsofts method's to this however.

The whole....carrier can't block, can block, can delay up to one update shenanigans.

I personally think that Microsoft releasing legitimate incremental upgrades with new features as often as possible would benefit them in mind share and momentum.

Google started separating some of the Apps from the OS to update them through the market to help speed things up as opposed to waiting for manufacturers and carriers.

Microsoft seems to have built int a way to be able to do the iterative thing. It keeps the blogs talking while giving consumers the honest vision that while actually improving things.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
It keeps the blogs talking while giving consumers the honest vision that while actually improving things.

And right now the blogs are saying WP7 is doomed. Of course we know it's way to early to make any type of prediction, but the perception is that this OS is going to fail. So it would be nice to visit my favorite tech news sites and see them saying something good.

gillbell

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft is a giant. People hate giants. Especially ones that invade their turf. Everybody is going to whine and moan about WP7 for a long time. Microsoft didn't make things easy on themselves by waiting so long to launch either.

Regardless, I used the iPhone for almost 4 years and after switching to WP7, have not looked back once. I feel that anybody who gives the platform a legitimate chance, will love it.

I do agree that MS needs to be more transparent with their update release windows though.

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft is a giant. People hate giants. Especially ones that invade their turf. Everybody is going to whine and moan about WP7 for a long time. Microsoft didn't make things easy on themselves by waiting so long to launch either.

Regardless, I used the iPhone for almost 4 years and after switching to WP7, have not looked back once. I feel that anybody who gives the platform a legitimate chance, will love it.

I do agree that MS needs to be more transparent with their update release windows though.

Not saying I don't believe you but please share what makes wp7 better than ios in your opinion. It's just funny that anytime someone says that they came from a different os, it's always ios. Don't y'all find that kinda weird?

gillbell

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, not really. iOS was the premier smartphone. It pretty much set the curve. I'm willing to bet that most of the people who were willing to take on a fledgling platform are probably smartphone enthusiasts who, statistically, are using iOS.

I never said "better" either, but that's a completely ambiguous term. Right now, WP7 is full of bugs and lacks the substance of iOS. iOS has also been out for almost 4 years. However, iOS's interface is bland, inefficient and unimaginative.

I feel that anybody who gives WP7 a true chance, will fall in love with its ease of use, its efficiency at organization and notification, and its flexibility. I think it's a paradox that people keep saying WP7 is targeting a younger crowd because in my experience, my work life is far more integrated into my WP7 phone than I could ever achieve with iOS's inefficient notifications and interface.

Yes, you can't play angry birds or instant message right now; but as the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day. WP7, from a my standpoint, truly succeeds on its half a billion dollar marketing promise of streamlining information through its intuitive interface. Instead of relying on its developer base to strengthen its platform like iOS, WP7 boasts a more "There's an interface for that" approach.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Not saying I don't believe you but please share what makes wp7 better than ios in your opinion. It's just funny that anytime someone says that they came from a different os, it's always ios. Don't y'all find that kinda weird?

I don't find it weird, anymore. I still going back to my iPhone every now and then. It's one of those thing where I'll use my iPhone for a few weeks, then just get tired of it. It's like the novelty wears off. But I'm like that with my Android phones as well.

I think because the WP7 lacks some features that iOS and Android have, and the apps, I simply enjoy using my HD7 as just a phone.

I wouldn't say one OS is better then the other though. We can debate that all day as they all have their pros and cons.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, not really. iOS was the premier smartphone. It pretty much set the curve. I'm willing to bet that most of the people who were willing to take on a fledgling platform are probably smartphone enthusiasts who, statistically, are using iOS.

I never said "better" either, but that's a completely ambiguous term. Right now, WP7 is full of bugs and lacks the substance of iOS. iOS has also been out for almost 4 years. However, iOS's interface is bland, inefficient and unimaginative.

I feel that anybody who gives WP7 a true chance, will fall in love with its ease of use, its efficiency at organization and notification, and its flexibility. I think it's a paradox that people keep saying WP7 is targeting a younger crowd because in my experience, my work life is far more integrated into my WP7 phone than I could ever achieve with iOS's inefficient notifications and interface.

Yes, you can't play angry birds or instant message right now; but as the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day. WP7, from a my standpoint, truly succeeds on its half a billion dollar marketing promise of streamlining information through its intuitive interface. Instead of relying on its developer base to strengthen its platform like iOS, WP7 boasts a more "There's an interface for that" approach.

Very well said in every regard.

Statistcally iOS users are in the majority for the time being and given iOS has been available for going on 4 years now anyone who wants to try something new and more of a modern OS has plenty more choices than at anytime before. That being said I and several others on this board have migrated over from webOS and of course there are plenty of Android users as well.

Last edited:

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I myself will be migrating to WP7 from BlackBerry. I had loved BB, using it exclusively for the past 6 or so years. The thing that really did it in for me the Tour for Sprint. The worst phone I have ever used. Not only is their OS outdated, but the hardware simply doesn't work. It seems RIM has abandon any QA in manufacturing.

But on to WP7, I am just waiting for a global roaming device to hit Sprint, so hope I am not waiting forever. My mother got a Samsung Focus, so I have played around with it quite a bit and really love it. The things that really stand out to me are the Live services integration, OneNote, etc... I use all of these all day, so it will be awesome having it on my phone.

I realize WP7 has some things lacking at the moment, but I am smart enough to realize that it will all be coming shortly. I would say the one thing I am most curious to see is how the OS will handle global roaming on CDMA devices. It is the one thing I have to give credit to RIM for, because those settings were very in depth and allowed alot of control over which network I was connecting to. So, I hope WP7 will have the same level of control in this arena.

tuffluck

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
i had the iphone for 2 years also and really liked it, but eventually got bored with it and that's why i migrated. also i do not like apple. i think they are overrated, overpriced, and every time i go into an apple store, their method of checking out is so painful i have to take vicodin.

i like wp7 but do think there are some shortcomings, more with the lack of cases/screen protectors you can get for the focus. i have spent nearly $60 on a $30 POS case and POS screen protectors (3-pack for $30 from boxwave...if anyone wants one, $8 shipped...i just don't like how reflective it is, though it does protect and fit well).

the OS itself crashes as frequently or less frequently than iOS did, so i don't really see any shortcomings there. i do get annoyed with not having some of the functionality of the iphone, especially with the robustness of the apps in iOS. also what really annoys me with wp7 is the lack of FREE apps. almost all of them are at least $.99, and there were a lot of great apps/games via apple that were free. also IE sucks IMO. every time i try to click on a link it thinks i'm trying to zoom in or vice versa. i pretty much avoid surfing on the internet at all with my phone.

i guess in the end i don't play a lot of games on my phone so that apps aren't huge to me. i like wp7 for more subtle reasons, like the text white on black background is beautiful. i like things in all lowercase letters, that's aesthetically pleasing. the focus' AMOLED is beautiful. microsoft office is much more functional than on the iphone. i like all of these features and there are several apps that are very beneficial and useful (weatherbug on wp7 is so much better than on the iphone).

one other thing i really want from wp7 is a remote to control zune or wmp or something from my windows 7 desktop and/or my windows 7 starter netbook. it is RETARDED that someone created an itunes remote app for wp7 before windows created a wmp/zune remote app for their own phone.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am going to WP7 with my next phone because I am not going to give Apple another dime after the iPhone 3G catastrophe. My iPhone 3G worked perfectly fine...fast even, all the way up to iOS3. Things got a little slower with 3, but it was still plenty usable. It wasn't until iOS4 that I want to throw my phone out the window every day. It's not like the 3G is THAT old either. I mean at least with a computer you expect to get 4 years out of it, minimum, including OS upgrades. Apple putting out this "upgrade" to 3G users is completely inexcusable. My phone is utterly infuriating to use, and for that I am not going to buy anymore Apple products which force you to want a faster phone to handle the latest OS. Look, I understand that with any technology you expect to have to replace it eventually, but 2 years? I bet you half the people who bought iPhone 4s were 3G owners that wanted to upgrade out of necessity...not for the new features (features that I can honestly live without like fast app switching and Pandora running in the background).

I bought a Samsung Focus for my wife recently and have enjoyed using it for the last month. I could definitely live with this phone. Certain things are better on the iPhone like the keyboard (IMO), but I just love the interface and speed of WP7. However, I completely agree with everyone that being in the dark on these upgrades is annoying. When are they going to put this thing out there? Are they waiting for the MWC in two weeks? Anyway, I am going to wait until MWC to see if there are any cool new WP7 phones on the horizon.

gillbell

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
i like wp7 but do think there are some shortcomings, more with the lack of cases/screen protectors you can get for the focus. i have spent nearly $60 on a $30 POS case and POS screen protectors (3-pack for $30 from boxwave...if anyone wants one, $8 shipped...i just don't like how reflective it is, though it does protect and fit well).

Hey man, have you tried the Amzer line of Focus cases? 10 bucks on Amazon. I love mine.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The Mybat cases on Amazon are also good for the Focus. As for a screen protector, go with Clarivue. You have to buy directly from them, but it works great. Do not get Skinomi...horrible product.

tuffluck

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The Mybat cases on Amazon are also good for the Focus. As for a screen protector, go with Clarivue. You have to buy directly from them, but it works great. Do not get Skinomi...horrible product.

i don't like gel cases--they always get stuck in my pockets!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers