Where to go after Band 2

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So today my Band 2, that I bought in November, died. It had been having problems lately, like just turning off whenever it wanted. Then today, it just wouldn't hold a charge.

While it worked though it was GREAT. I loved the sync with my L950. Perfect for running and guided workouts.

In its place, the Microsoft Store gave me a $115 gift card. I could use it to get a Fitbit I suppose. (seeing that It's the only thing in the store I could use my gift card for to replace it.

How is life after Band 2? How does fitbit work with W10 and W10M?

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Sent my band 2 in for repair after the band broke.... Again.... I'm also curious where to go now... :( Microsoft sent me a check in the mail for $194, no reason, never heard back from Customer service about my band, but I can put 2 and 2 together.

Fitbits app looks complete, so why are notifications an issue? :/ what are alternative to Fitbit?

breaker119

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I just sent my second one back over the weekend and I'm sure that I'm just going to get a check in return. I heard on a podcast (can't remember which) that it was announced that they are finally out of the replacements and can no longer replace warranty claims. I know they are looking for insiders to test the new GATT updates that will allow notifications...so if those go well I'll likely end up going the Fitbit route (though I'm not pleased about it since my family has had bad experiences with fitbit syncing)

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Ran out last night, after some admittedly hasty research, and for the Garmin vivoactive hr, not sure about notifications, only seem to work while I'm using my phone, once the phone locks, the notifications stop, haven't had time to troubleshoot yet, but the device is ok, I do feel like I've stepped backwards in capability, but the waterproofness of it is nice.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Garmin vivoactive hr, not sure about notifications, only seem to work while I'm using my phone, once the phone locks, the notifications stop,
I got a Vivoactive HR after Christmas. The first couple weeks of use, I noticed that I would only get notifications if email or a text message came through while I had the Garmin Connect Mobile app open. This week, I've started getting some notifications while the phone is locked, but they are very sporadic. I might receive 2 or three email notifications at a time, then no more notifications for the rest of the day.

Edited for clarification: Now using a Vivoactive HR with Lumia 950.

Last edited:

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I got one after Christmas. The first couple weeks of use, I noticed that I would only get notifications if email or a text message came through while I had the Garmin Connect Mobile app open. This week, I've started getting some notifications while the phone is locked, but they are very sporadic. I might receive 2 or three email notifications at a time, then no more notifications for the rest of the day.

That sucks. It's a great device too. I loved mine. Haven't made up my mind yet on what is replacing it.

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk

ATAcapt

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I replaced my Band 2 with the Garmin Vivoactive HR. I have had no problems with the notifications. I wore them both for about two weeks to compare stats. The Band had started to miss notifications. That was why I was looking for a replacement. The Garmin is getting all the notifications that come to the iPhone, the Band missed about 1/3 of them. The Band started missing notifications about two months ago until then it was fine. I tried the Fitbit Charge 2 and Mio Slice but they only receive call and text notifications not news alerts and weather alerts etc. The only problem I have is the Garmin is too dim to read the notifications indoors without my glasses. Outdoors in the sunlight it is fine. The Band was great indoors or out.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Today I jumped into a Fitbit Charge 2. And I dunno y'all....its nothing like my former Band 2. Not ehen close. The screen is smaller, no notifications (yes i know they're coming), no on wrist workouts (something i really used). I was spoiled by the Band 2. It was miles ahead of any fitness tracker in terms of capabilities (Fitbit has the social aspect of it nailed down)

I may just return it, as I'm a bit disappointed. And because i purchased it with store credit I'm stuck. I'd have to get something else from MS and i have no idea what that would be.

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk

Last edited:

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I ended up returning the fitbit charge 2 and got a Samsung Gear Fit 2. Err....I wish I could just have my Band 2 back. I'm using the Fit 2 with my Note 5. It's actually the closest thing to the Band 2 I've found. And I really like it. But the heart rate monitor might be off on workouts (which is the reason o bought a fitness tracker), so it might have to go back too. I'll see how my workout in the morning goes. If it's as off as it was this morning then it's going back for sure.

I'm really sad I can't replace my Band 2 with another. I have no choice but to go back to the Fitbit Charge 2.

lstar337

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I ended up returning the fitbit charge 2 and got a Samsung Gear Fit 2. Err....I wish I could just have my Band 2 back. I'm using the Fit 2 with my Note 5. It's actually the closest thing to the Band 2 I've found. And I really like it. But the heart rate monitor might be off on workouts (which is the reason o bought a fitness tracker), so it might have to go back too. I'll see how my workout in the morning goes. If it's as off as it was this morning then it's going back for sure.

I'm really sad I can't replace my Band 2 with another. I have no choice but to go back to the Fitbit Charge 2.
Oh dear, that's not a good start for the Fit 2!

TBH, the accuracy of the Fit 2 is pushing me back toward the Vivoactive HR. Just wish they price would hurry up and drop back to where it was!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's terrible. I bought the charge 2 again today. Much more simple then the Fit 2, though I really wanted to keep it bcuz of its smartphones feaures.

lolguy

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
The screen isn't as good as the Band 2 but for functionality and accuracy, I am enjoying the Garmin Vivosmart HR+. Heart rate seems accurate, keeps sleep, steps, etc. and the Connect app has a boatload of info (app takes some getting used to).

JJanner

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My Band 2 developed the dreaded split. Getting a Fitbit Blaze (yes, notifications coming with the next W10 generation). Question: After deactivating my Band, does the data already synced to the cloud (accessible via dashboard on Web) live on?

lstar337

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Good question. I'd imagine that after some period of inactivity, the account dies. Time to dig into the TOS.

I wish there were better systems in place to allow transfer of the data to other platforms.

I know I can take my band data to fitbit using an online synchronization app, but no such system exists to go from band to garmin. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb