Who is buying the Lumia 830 when it comes out?

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking Nov 7th will not be the US release date. I hope I'm wrong, though. Maybe AT&T is just going to launch it next Friday and not say anything. Who knows.

jantveg85

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Nov. 7th better be the release date! I returned my 1520 today in preparation for the 830. I'm using a 635 until then. Everyone I asked at my AT&T store didn't even know what a Lumia 830 was! Lol

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Nov. 7th better be the release date! I returned my 1520 today in preparation for the 830. I'm using a 635 until then. Everyone I asked at my AT&T store didn't even know what a Lumia 830 was! Lol
Their customer support on Twitter confirmed it for me, as Nov 7th.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I just got my L830. I bought it from Expansys and not the MS - UK site unlocked and SIM-free which is how I buy all my phones. The latter was a bit more expensive (by around ?10 or so). The box did not contain any headphones though. However, I was able to claim a free wireless kit from the MS - UK site, which I am looing forward to (white charging plate and white BT speakers). Coming from a L720, this phone is an upgrade for me. It seems to be working well. I noticed, however, a bit of a battery drain that I would not have expected. Am experimenting with a few options, the first being moving off 4G which is not yet available in my area to 3G and turning off most location-based apps. I'll turn them on one by one as I monitor the battery drain. The feel of the phone is excellent. It is a pleasure to read on a larger screen but the phone is not humongous!!! Oh...and I should mention that I bought the black version and it looks and feels very slick!

oshea

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Picked up a Lumia 830 (984) factory unlocked version from ebay. Got me a straight Talk sim (att) and all is good. 45 dollars pre-paid is the way I like to roll.
It came in a new box with a wall charger and nokia ear-phones. It is a white back plate. I am really liking this phone. I have been wanting to get away from Sprint (they have a true unlimited data plan, but I do not need that -- too pricey) and iphone for some time now. I like the windows software and the nokia hardware. The camera is not a replacement for a good DSLR, but it is good for a phone, very nice. I like the basic vibrant, shadows editing effect nokia has for the pics. The size and feel of the phone is just about right and looks premium. Honestly, it could be a bit bigger for me: I like reading books on my phone; however, 5 inch is still a good size for reading in phones. The MS office on the phone is way cool.

dgrn23

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Picked up a Lumia 830 (984) factory unlocked version from ebay. Got me a straight Talk sim (att) and all is good. 45 dollars pre-paid is the way I like to roll.
It came in a new box with a wall charger and nokia ear-phones. It is a white back plate. I am really liking this phone. I have been wanting to get away from Sprint (they have a true unlimited data plan, but I do not need that -- too pricey) and iphone for some time now. I like the windows software and the nokia hardware. The camera is not a replacement for a good DSLR, but it is good for a phone, very nice. I like the basic vibrant, shadows editing effect nokia has for the pics. The size and feel of the phone is just about right and looks premium. Honestly, it could be a bit bigger for me: I like reading books on my phone; however, 5 inch is still a good size for reading in phones. The MS office on the phone is way cool.

are you able to get 4g speeds using straight talk with the RM-984 model?

EDIT***nevermind, read through the thread a bit more. So at best, one can use HSPA+ with the rm-984 through Straight Talk, correct?

The price of the phone off contract is too high through ATT, but I really want to buy it. Thinking about buying RM-984 from Expansys USA

Last edited:

oshea

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Straight Talk's prepaid plan only gives 3g as of right now. But the 3g I am getting is a nice strong signal, and so it is enough. Enough to watch Netfix on. I mainly use wifi 90% of the time.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I got my 830 (RM-984) from Expansys USA and can highly recommend them.
Service was great.
Yes, you'll "only" get HSPA+ speeds from AT&T/Net10.
I get around 10mps speeds which is more than enough for me.

:)
Fred

are you able to get 4g speeds using straight talk with the RM-984 model?

EDIT***nevermind, read through the thread a bit more. So at best, one can use HSPA+ with the rm-984 through Straight Talk, correct?

The price of the phone off contract is too high through ATT, but I really want to buy it. Thinking about buying RM-984 from Expansys USA

nallWhite

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
The ATT price leaves much to be desired. I checked eBay and they are under $400. I was burned once buying a "new" phone there. Any recommended sellers?

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm eating my words. I expected $299 and free on contract. That would have stirred it up a bit. $99 and $450 is just....completely ludicrous and not justifiable. I will play the waiting game. This is not how technology works. You can't release an affordable flagship for what an ACTUAL flagship cost 2 years ago (920). That just isn't done.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm eating my words. I expected $299 and free on contract. That would have stirred it up a bit. $99 and $450 is just....completely ludicrous and not justifiable. I will play the waiting game. This is not how technology works. You can't release an affordable flagship for what an ACTUAL flagship cost 2 years ago (920). That just isn't done.

The US pricing seems very wrong, if you look at prices in Europe it should be 299$ or at most 349$ (compared with pricing on other products)

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I'll be getting one Friday. I'm getting a $150 device credit for porting a number to my plan, and I'm hoping to sell the Fitbit. I figure I'll be out about $250 in cash. If they had the 735, I'd probably go for that instead. Hopefully I'll enjoy this phone until a new flagship comes out in 2015.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I'll be getting one Friday. I'm getting a $150 device credit for porting a number to my plan, and I'm hoping to sell the Fitbit. I figure I'll be out about $250 in cash. If they had the 735, I'd probably go for that instead. Hopefully I'll enjoy this phone until a new flagship comes out in 2015.

How do you know that you're getting this $150 credit? I'm going in Saturday morning to get one myself.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I went to the store yesterday to ask about adding a new line to my family plan and porting the number from Verizon. Sales associate said they have this $150 credit for porting+new line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria