Why did you decide to buy a windows phone?

treiz

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: So what made you pick a windows phone in the first place?

I had been waiting years for phones to reach parity with what was possible on desktops from a web browsing perspective. I'm a heavy web browser user and I refused to buy a smart phone until one came out that had a modern and capable browser, and that wasn't made by crapple. I started out with the G1 Android, and while I loved the phone I quickly became dis-illusioned with the MANY problems with Android then (and even now).

I eventually switched to Windows Mobile when the LG eXpo came out and really enjoyed it. I also jumped into WebOS about the same time and went full nerd-tard on my pre+, bought day 1 when it FINALLY launched on AT&T. (If only they had released the Pixi with the Pre screen and internals I would have been in heaven!) I had my pre+ overclocked to 3x stock speed and slapped a 3000mah battery on the back of it. I was so happy with it, I could have as many cards open as I wanted, it was fast and stable, the browser and notifications were great, and then HP picked it up and all kinds of new devices were coming out, it was awesome. At the same time I upgraded my eXpo to a new Windows Phone 7 device and I was instantly impressed with how solid and intuitive it was, how well everything flowed and how all the services were gathered for me, the apps, the integration, the Office Mobile! I remember the first thing that went through my mind when I opened my Zune HD, man this thing would be perfect if it had a phone in it too, and now that had come to pass! Shortly there after the HP WebOS debacle went tits-up and I moved everything to Windows and have never looked back.

Zucco27

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

ZUNE!
I have not read all of the posts but I had a Zune and an IPhone and when I changed jobs I was able to choose my new phone and the Focus had a bigger screen and I loved the Zune software. I was hooked and now on my 3rd windows phone (Nokia 920) and Surface.
I know I am one of the 12 people who bought the Zune. First one refurbished on Woot! I was a fan from day one! Fast forward to 8.1 and no more Zune software and a crappy music app. I love the feel of the windows phone and I am not going to switch but I feel like the people up in Redmond don't talk to each other when they switch teams. Sorry to be a downer! I do love the home screen, Cortana, and a ton of other features.

cocotutch

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

For me, it was the Zune HD. While owning a dog slow first generation iPod Touch, I saw this device via YouTube and fell in love with the speed and beauty and animations.

Unfortunately, Australia being Australia didn't offer the Zune HD nor any service for the Zune whatsoever. So, I took to recreating my love for Metro UI over on the iOS App Store.

After the purchase of my 4.8" Android in 2012, I decided I needed to wait for a Windows Phone that could truly stand out. That was either going to be the 930, or the 1520. All models prior were too small now I'd used a larger screen.

I settled on the 1520. Why Windows Phone? The radical shift in paradigm is always fun! The colors, the simplicity yet complexity....AND the colors and solid build of Nokia Lumia phones compared to those awfully light and breakable Samsungs -- even my almost all glass iPhone 4 lasted longer!!!

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I was tired 😫 of hang ND lag of android mid ranger so I choose Lumia 820 btw I don't use lot of apps.so everything was fine for me except my phones battery 🔋 life which I manage by swapping batteries.
Sent from my RM-826_im_india_201 using Tapatalk

dumgeek

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
My first WP was an orange Spv classic. It was windows mobile 2002.
At that time you had push email(using SMS as trigger), supported full outlook ActiveSync synchronization, even with categories and more...
MS screwed it up. Hope history doesn't repeat it self

cdubbsworld

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

my very first smart phone was the HTC Diamond it introduced me to windows mobile and HTC after that I went through a bunch of different HTC WM phones until 2008 I treid the HTC Dream and iPhone bounced between the till Windows Phone 7 was released the HTC Titan 2 and HTC Lumia 900 was my favorites getting a Nokia phones (my favorite phone manufacture besides HTC) and Windows Phone (im a Microsoft guy) was perfect heaven today I have the Lumia Icon and I love everything about the phone for me windows has always spoken to me like it was made for me im only satisfied with WP Android and iPhone ive cheated I admit but with WP she always take me back (LoL) what made me first get a windows phone? I wanted to be different ...the Zune features (I miss it) Xbox games and return to a company (Microsoft) that has always had products (Zune,Xbox) that met my needs and see tech get pushed forward

Wondering_Bard

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

After using Android for years, I never really grew to like the "tinkering" aspect that so many still love about Android. I wanted a phone that "just worked", but had a beautiful personalized UI. WinPhone fit the bill. I was intrigued about Nokia after drooling over N8 reviews, bit ultimately Nokia didn't factor in my decision. If the Lumia 822 hadn't sold me on Nokia's AMOLED over HTC's SLCD, I would have ended up with an HTC WinPhone. Now I have a 928 and an eagerly awaiting the new MS/Nokia flagships this year so I can move to TMo with a new WinPhone. We(my wife and I) actually got an Xbox 360 (we steady had a PS3) because we already had Win8 and WinPhone and mostly just used the console to stream across our home, which the Xbox is great at.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I was a BlackBerry user who got tired of waiting for BB10. I was eligible for an upgrade from AT&T and pulled the trigger on a Nokia Lumia 900 on release date, since BB10 was not yet available and I had already been waiting for 11 months with an available upgrade. I had used Nokia Symbian devices prior to BlackBerry, so I chose the 900 for Nokia; I had no idea about Windows Phone at the time (never used Windows Mobile, or even played with Windows Mobile in a store).

I ended up liking Windows Phone as an OS as much as I liked Nokia as a hardware manufacturer, and the rest is history.

Lindsay Mathieson

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site

Used Android for years, got addicted to reading my email and news via the phone on the train. But the interface was driving me batty - terrible for actually making calls and texting. The lack of updates for older phones. And I could only afford entry level phones, where android is a slow laggy POS.

Had been hearing a lot that WP8 was really good on low end hardware so bit the bullet and got a Lumia 630 (Win 8.1!). From the start, blew me away how slick and responsive it was. Took me 15 mins of fiddling to get the hang of tiles, but 4 weeks later I'm still discovering new features. For calls and texting - just great. Sync's seamlessly with my Gmail account, including contacts and calendar. Sexy looking as hell to - Live tiles work far better than Androids widgets, genuinely innovative interface, makes Android look tired. Camera is better than anything I've had in the past.

Android guys at work were interested, but when I discovered I could default app installs to the SDCard and seamlessly move apps/data between the phone and its SDCard they were *really* jealous.

No regrets.

NokianWP

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

I had a feature phone before my 920, an already had an iPod 5. I felt like I already knew the iOS experience, and a iPhone would be too similar. Heard too many android horror stories. Plus I wanted my W8 computer to be compatible with my phone, so WP was the logical choice. I researched the 920 heavily before buying, and was mesmerized by it in the att store. Loved it ever since. It has the best autocorrect, voice recognition(tell me until Cortana and 8.1 IMO), wireless charging, customization, colors, and of course, brand. I can't wait for the next 152x, and I'm staying with WP.

ER78

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site

Snappyness of the OS, Android lag and lack of support with updates even for the nexus line, Nokia Hardware, trust and faith in Microsoft, sympathy with smartphone underdog, excitement of the new and developing, ease of use of wp8, camera hard- and software

teodor nastase

May 6, 2014
Visit site

I bought my first Windows Phone because I wanted something special and because of the best price/quality raport. It was a Lumia 520. Since then, I fell in love with Microsoft's ecosistem. I'm never going back to Android again. Right now I am rocking a Lumia 925 and I love it

DevFor8

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Ativ S was my first WP8 and reasons were :

- bored with Android performance - I don't like reset phone to default every 3 months
- security - I don't like share every step with Google. Google is now much more evil than MS ever.
- API availability - WP is between Apple and Google and it looks as proper level to me
- HW availability - more producers to select than Apple
- Windows Eco System - working on W8 on desktop with Office so Win ecosystem is much more usable for me than Android/Chrome or iSomething ecosystems

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

switch side method!
Just wanted to share my story too...since, well..it's an open forum. TBH I hate long posts, both for reading and writing. So, I will keep it short. Very short.

Security. Speed. Style.

Those are the pillars of WP OS, if you ask me.

It is definitely more secure. It's DEFINITELY faster than any mobile OS (although they may be catching up), and looks fantastic. Aesthetically, it has the best look UI I have ever seen.

Hope that helps.

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

Never had an iPhone, never seen the value in it. My first smartphone was an HTC Wildfire which pretty soon after got upgraded to a HTC Desire HD. But it seems with Android the support for any phone will never last for the duration of your contract. I was waiting forever for 4.2 but it never came. Had to flash my phone in order to get it. And all I wanted it for was SmartGlass. The other gripe I had with android is that as you add more apps and whatnot to the phone, it gradually gets slower and slower.

All I wanted SmartGlass for was the GPS map on Forza Horizon and after flashing my HTC Desire HD, the GPS thing was "Unavailable on this device" So I went for the HTC 8X. Although the GPS thing didn't work on that either. I came to love the OS. The fact it never slows down. And the seem less integration with Office and the messaging app bringing everything together.

MJS9

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

I've only ever owned Nokia phones and have always been very satisfied with them. Not so much brand loyalty or ******, but just knew I'd be getting a good enough product for my money and never had the inclination, time or energy to research other devices. Windows Phone was simply what came installed on my latest Nokia handset upgrade, so I didn't so much pick Windows Phone as Nokia picked it for me.

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

Had a Eten Gloffish M700 in 2006 running Windows 6 - 6.5 plus tweaks. Phone was great to start with, slide out keyboard, GPS etc. OS was like Windows 3 for PC but not as good. Browser was terrible and setting up anything required a degree in IT - typical Microsoft software at the time, but good fun if like me you were that way inclined. Soon however the poor Eten hardware began to fall apart. GPS was first to go (no reason ever found), then hard keys fell off, battery expired (cheap Chinese replacements lasted about 3 mths) and 1mp cam - well I could go on but hey at least the old phone worked well indoors!
So when last Christmas my wife's old Nokia expired I decided to get her a new Lumia 620 as pre-owned models were going for around ?70 at the time and the reviews for this well specified 'budget' smartphone were very positive. Well it was a revelation just how far phone OS had moved on since Win 6! Setup and familiarization was a breeze and the whole experience of using the thing a real pleasure. So I bought one for myself of course and then set about learning all about Windows 8.
Now with Win 8.1 Dev. Prev. installed (waiting for Cyan update when MS fix latest bitlocker bug and release to Dev. Prev. users) I remain largely well pleased with both the little Nokia and Windows OS. Sure there are dozens of bugs, some of which I have noted elsewhere. Some tedious GUI 'features' such as having to endlessly scroll the disorganised jumble of Settings or make multiple taps to accomplish oft repeated tasks or no proper file manager or a very very poor Music Player remain of course even with the 8.1 version but overall I'm still very impressed.
Would I buy another phone with Windows OS, maybe when the 620 expires and I can find another with similar features at the same price point when hopefully by then Microsoft will have version 9 or 10 for me to learn all over again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di