Why does my 950xl not read incoming SMS messages while driving?

JPAdans

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi all

I was previously on a lumia 830 (win 8.1) which, when driving, used the bluetooth connection with my car to read incoming SMS messages, and allowed me to respond using voice commands.

My 950xl no longer does that. Win1511, build 10586.107. I've been searching thru all settings with no luck. I suspect it may be linked to the fact that Cortana isn't enabled in my country (Belgium), but have no certainty about that.

If that's the case, I could tell my phone I'm in another region where Cortana is available (as I do on my PC). But does this have consequences on the phone's operation?

Any ideas? Similar experiences?

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
The option is buried in Cortana, so perhaps try to change the region? I can't imagine of any ill effects that would result from the region change.

It's in Cortana >> Notebook >> Settings >> Read incoming text messages aloud

This happens to be one of my least favorite features, so I had to turn it off as soon as I went to Windows 10... haha

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
It's actually one of my favourite features which I missed when using RS1 .1004. Now I'm back on TH1 .164 I can use it again

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I can see the purpose and need for it... when I'm driving I'm OK with voice calls over hands free but I wasn't a fan of always being buzzed in my earpiece about incoming messages. It was alright when I was in my car connected to the car's hands free -- but I spend a reasonable amount of time in company or rental cars and I don't always feel like pairing and unpairing the Bluetooth, so I have just come to use a Plantronics Voyager Legend headset in those cases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes