Why does my computer repeatedly force restart when I use it away from home?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

See bottom for system information
Problem:
I take my computer out on site to review photos of properties after a home inspection. About 4 weeks ago the computer started forcing one PC restart after another rendering it useless until I take it home and use it where I have never seen a sign of the same problem. The display presented is always "Stop code: MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION"
Actions: I tried using different applications to display my photos. I reviewed my installed applications and deleted one that I saw downloaded recently (I think was Autokey while pursuing a better auto correct app for my computer). Last night I tried to do a system restore. There was no restore point that pre-dated the beginning of the problem other than the very first one, so I used that. After an hour it "could not complete my system restore" Interestingly my photo review this morning wasn't forced to restart until a much longer time (like 25 minutes instead of 5-7 minutes). I don't know why. I've been trying to find out how to create a restore point some date prior to the date the problem began, but that seems to not be a thing one can do.

Help please.

MSI GE72 2QD Apache Pro - hardly used for gaming (yet)
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MSI
System Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model GE72 2QD
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5700HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. E1792IMS.113, 7/17/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
User Name MSI\RW Huntley
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 10.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.5 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Is your machine enrolled on a domain?

I imagine it is a security measure implemented by via your IT policy to prevent theft and misuse.

This is the only one logical explanation I can think of... so you will need to have to further digging if it is not enrolled on a domain by logging at the event log.

Simply type in Cortana's search box "view event logs".

Looking at the timings when this behaviour occurs.

Please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

RW Huntley

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
Thank you very much for your reply. Please remember this started very abruptly about 4 weeks ago. Now that I think of it this was about the same period that my wife and I cancelled out COX TV and started using Playstation Vue for all of our TV. I don't know what this might have to do with anything. We do use multiple computers at a time (Vue will host up to 5 at a time). I have a "domain name" like everyone else who is hooked up to the internet. Beyond that I don't know what you mean. I don't have an IT policy. I looked at the event logs window and I don't understand it even well enough to do what you recommended. RWH

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Is the computer running hot? This message can occur if that is the case. It can also be faulty RAM too.

Try clicking Start > search for Command Prompt and click it.

When it opens, run 'sfc /scannow' (no quotes) and press Enter.

Let the scan complete and see what the results are.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for your reply. Please remember this started very abruptly about 4 weeks ago. Now that I think of it this was about the same period that my wife and I cancelled out COX TV and started using Playstation Vue for all of our TV. I don't know what this might have to do with anything. We do use multiple computers at a time (Vue will host up to 5 at a time). I have a "domain name" like everyone else who is hooked up to the internet. Beyond that I don't know what you mean. I don't have an IT policy. I looked at the event logs window and I don't understand it even well enough to do what you recommended. RWH

Interesting, how did you use COX TV via an installed application or?

The issue shouldn't be connected to the cancelled subscription but having said that I have seen stranger issues be resolved with seemingly unrelated solutions.

In the event viewer, under hardware events have a look at the time and dates when the restarts happen, if you can't find them. Not an issue, the next time it occurs take a note of time and date then take a look at the event viewer at the noted time and date.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion