why in america do you have to be 18 to develop video games?

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
the title speaks for itself. i would like answers from all of you on this. is it because of the modern labor laws or is selling software equal to selling a firearm in america? why are these laws in place? is it an issue of maturity or protection. would love to know

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I think in the US you have to be 18 or older to enter into any contract. When you pay the $100 to Microsoft to become a developer you are signing into a contract with Microsoft.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I think in the US you have to be 18 or older to enter into any contract. When you pay the $100 to Microsoft to become a developer you are signing into a contract with Microsoft.
That's the most reasonable answer.

I think it's actually easier to buy a gun then enter a contract here, lol.

MuIsZ.jpg

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to be 18 to develop but being 18 puts you into the age of majority. For contract principles that means a person would be bound by the terms of the contract. Contracts with those that are minors are generally unenforceable against them and voidable by the minor. Taking that context, one reason then is that a contracting party wouldn't take that kind of liability should things fall through.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to be 18 to develop a game.

But if you're not 18, nobody will want to do business with you for the contact reasons stated above.

Feel free to create a game and distribute it yourself. Many fame developers worked on making their own games while they were still kids.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss