Why no GOOD Airplay alternative in Win10Mo?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Just a little background on the DLNA and Apple Airplay. They are basically the exact same thing.

Actually Apple took the DLNA protocol and core software and tweaked it enough to be no longer compatible with DLNA, to make it their own (typical Apple, actually) and make everyone pay to incorporate it into various devices.

But if you look around at most networked smart TV's or A/V units, they generally support both DLNA and Airplay. I agree that MS really needs to add more DLNA capabilities into their stuff (phone and desktop).

Windows 8.1 desktop actually had pretty good support for DLNA. I had an Apple ****** over at my house one night, we were all looking up YouTube videos to compare and such, I went first, I just selected played it to my smart TV, and their jaw dropped because they knew I didn't have a single apple device in my house, and they said "Whhaaaa, how did you do that without Airplay?!?!?!?!?!?" Had to explain everything, and everyone else had either Windows or Android and I showed them how to do it in their systems. The iPhone/Pad people had to go find a DLNA app.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Just a little background on the DLNA and Apple Airplay. They are basically the exact same thing.

Actually Apple took the DLNA protocol and core software and tweaked it enough to be no longer compatible with DLNA, to make it their own (typical Apple, actually) and make everyone pay to incorporate it into various devices.

But if you look around at most networked smart TV's or A/V units, they generally support both DLNA and Airplay. I agree that MS really needs to add more DLNA capabilities into their stuff (phone and desktop).

Windows 8.1 desktop actually had pretty good support for DLNA. I had an Apple ****** over at my house one night, we were all looking up YouTube videos to compare and such, I went first, I just selected played it to my smart TV, and their jaw dropped because they knew I didn't have a single apple device in my house, and they said "Whhaaaa, how did you do that without Airplay?!?!?!?!?!?" Had to explain everything, and everyone else had either Windows or Android and I showed them how to do it in their systems. The iPhone/Pad people had to go find a DLNA app.

I have a feeling that's what HTC Connect is. As best I can tell, it's just a certification that any DLNA or Miracast device can apply for from HTC.

The big problem with DLNA is it's very confusing to know what will and won't work. You have DLNA Servers, Players, Controllers, and Renderers (perhaps more). So I've got all sorts of devices that are DLNA, but most are just players (Dish Hopper/Joey, Blu-ray Players) or Server (my Synology nas, PCs?). It seems the 360 tries to be a renderer, but it fails hard with my HTC. Both Xboxes do well as Players, with my phone being the controller/server. With my WP, the only DLNA I could get working was via the Lumia Play To app, which was the server/controller.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Why would you steam from phone to Xbox when those services are already on the Xbox?
Not all Miracast devices are equal either BTW.
Continuum.

It's just not the same thing. With Airplay both audio and video are treated as system level devices. You can push any media from any app. The way the xbox does it you are limited to the apps available and must do it at the console. Xbox glass is nothing more than a simulated game controller.

Try using Miracast to stream music from a windows phone and then lock the phone screen and see what happens.

Even andoid devices seem to be considerably more capable at streaming media. One you pair a Microsoft device with another Microsoft device, streaming becomes a nightmare.

Using Windows 10 becomes even more bleak. At least my PC and laptop were able to connect under Windows 8.1. Now they claim they are not supported or just don't find anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire