Why Windows Phone hasn't caught on...(Revised from March-ish 2012)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
he seems to think his opinion is the be all end all of the universe, even though obviously the market feels otherwise

Read what I wrote.

I'm just talking about what Apple will do next.

Clearly there's a huge market for gigantic smartphones out there. I wouldn't deny that for a second. I see them everywhere.

I just disagree that Apple needs to cross the line to stupid-sized in order to complete. They don't and they won't.

The next iPhone will be 4-4.1" or so. Definitely NOT over 4.3" and it will sell extremely well, count on it.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the day of the "postage stamp" sized phone is over! Companies are making them bigger and two companies (Samsung & ASUS) have moved on to the next logical step, Phon-lets! I firmly believe when this idea starts taking off cRapple will incorporate it in the ifad... err pad. :lol:

IJmDF.gif

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I think iPhone 5 can help WP8 sales..

Microsoft needs to create ADS to that clearly focus on simplicity and innovation

Usually the problem with iPhone 5 is availability if the availability isn't there MS has a chance to convert people over especially with slick deals like buy a Windows PC, Xbox 360 for 500$ and get a free WP8 phone.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think Android is just a FAD

All it takes is
1 Advertisement
1 Game
1 Phone

To take Windows phone to the next level.

I wish that were true, but Android isn't going anywhere. It's the ground chuck of phone operating systems. Anyone can have it for free and do whatever they want with it. Try and make it look all pretty and dress it up, but at the end of the day, it's low-grade crap made as a one-size-fits-all solution.

I think if Microsoft does everything right and Nokia survives too, then we'll see Windows Phone get into the double-digits as far as marketshare goes, and they'll probably do in in 2 years. Maybe less than 2 years if RIM folds soon, but I don't see them doing anything miraculous like matching Apple's 34-35% of the market anytime soon. It would take a miracle to do that. Everyone else has such a huge head start and most people barely even know Windows Phone exists. It's going to take a lot more than some commercials and a few games to change that.

Apple will hold onto at least 30% or more of the market. They'll do just fine. There are still a ton of people out there who have never bought their first smartphone yet, believe it or not. Something like 40-50% of the cell phone market is still completely up for grabs.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I wish that were true, but Android isn't going anywhere. It's the ground chuck of phone operating systems. Anyone can have it for free and do whatever they want with it. Try and make it look all pretty and dress it up, but at the end of the day, it's low-grade crap made as a one-size-fits-all solution.

I think if Microsoft does everything right and Nokia survives too, then we'll see Windows Phone get into the double-digits as far as marketshare goes, and they'll probably do in in 2 years. Maybe less than 2 years if RIM folds soon, but I don't see them doing anything miraculous like matching Apple's 34-35% of the market anytime soon. It would take a miracle to do that. Everyone else has such a huge head start and most people barely even know Windows Phone exists. It's going to take a lot more than some commercials and a few games to change that.

Apple will hold onto at least 30% or more of the market. They'll do just fine. There are still a ton of people out there who have never bought their first smartphone yet, believe it or not. Something like 40-50% of the cell phone market is still completely up for grabs.

No doubt but if you think about it out of Android's 50% marketshare how much do the flagship phones actually take up? A lot of Android MS comes from low end and I feel WP can get a lot of those users to jump over.

MS needs to make it as if you have a Windows PC, Xbox 360 you need a Windows Phone.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No doubt but if you think about it out of Android's 50% marketshare how much do the flagship phones actually take up? A lot of Android MS comes from low end and I feel WP can get a lot of those users to jump over.

MS needs to make it as if you have a Windows PC, Xbox 360 you need a Windows Phone.

Agreed, I think they really need to leverage the synergy between Windows 8 and WP 8.

Steve Ballmer needs to get over his resistance to advertising in order to really make that work.

Take that money they are spending to (pointlessly) advertise Internet Explorer, and put it into Windows 8 and WP8 commercials.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Agreed, I think they really need to leverage the synergy between Windows 8 and WP 8.

Steve Ballmer needs to get over his resistance to advertising in order to really make that work.
Take that money they are spending to (pointlessly) advertise Internet Explorer, and put it into Windows 8 and WP8 commercials.

Thats the problem with Microsoft, their whole world is based on Windows and Office, those divisions call the shots and apart from the Xbox nothing else gets a look in. These are the only two products they seem to put everything behind when it comes to advertising and I dont think anything will change for WP8. Look at all those Smoked by WP ads, online only. Why arent these on TV for a quick 30 second spot? Come October we will be swamped with ads for Windows 8, WP8 not so much. They will again leave that up to OEM's and they as usual will do next to nothing.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Read what I wrote.

I'm just talking about what Apple will do next.

Clearly there's a huge market for gigantic smartphones out there. I wouldn't deny that for a second. I see them everywhere.

I just disagree that Apple needs to cross the line to stupid-sized in order to complete. They don't and they won't.

The next iPhone will be 4-4.1" or so. Definitely NOT over 4.3" and it will sell extremely well, count on it.

I think you rub a lot of people the wrong way when you declare something above 4.3" as "stupid-sized." It comes across like you believe your preferences are being declared as reasonable, while those with other preferences are somehow stupid.

I have a 4.7" HTC Titan. While I do hate the freaking crappy quality of the USB port, the reception, and the sound quality, I LOVE the screen. That screen is what keeps me using it instead of falling back to my Samsung Focus.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Thats the problem with Microsoft, their whole world is based on Windows and Office, those divisions call the shots and apart from the Xbox nothing else gets a look in. These are the only two products they seem to put everything behind when it comes to advertising and I dont think anything will change for WP8. Look at all those Smoked by WP ads, online only. Why arent these on TV for a quick 30 second spot? Come October we will be swamped with ads for Windows 8, WP8 not so much. They will again leave that up to OEM's and they as usual will do next to nothing.

I believe that just a few months ago the Windows Phone division was rolled into Windows. I'm not sure though.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you rub a lot of people the wrong way when you declare something above 4.3" as "stupid-sized." It comes across like you believe your preferences are being declared as reasonable, while those with other preferences are somehow stupid.

I have a 4.7" HTC Titan. While I do hate the freaking crappy quality of the USB port, the reception, and the sound quality, I LOVE the screen. That screen is what keeps me using it instead of falling back to my Samsung Focus.

I have the Titan too, I have no problems using it with one hand (normal size :) ) either.
While the screen size is really nice, the resolution is not. There is really no point having 4,7" with this low resolution, it looks ugly compared to the Lumia 800s higher PPI. Really looking forward to HTCs WP8 phone with 720p 4,7".

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

I think the opposite. Android is not pretty or good looking compared to WP. But "under the shell" Android is a much more powerfull and flexible operating system.

Matchoo

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

Have you ever even used Android? It's hardly low grade crap. It's a heck of a lot more powerful than iOS or WP. Sure it might not be as polished but it's hardly as bad as you portray it to be.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. For someone who posts 4.7 messages a day on this forum and be rude to people, your post is right on.

jessicajes

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Why Windows Phone hasn't caught on

Samsung plans to go big with Windows Phone platform. Samsung Taiwan announced that the company will not introduce Windows Phone 7.5 Mango based devices in India. Instead, this year a high-end Windows Phone 8 Apollo device shall feature in the market. Microsoft is expected to uncover and launch the Windows Phone 8 mobile OS code named Apollo in October. Till then no new handsets will be introduced.

For more info:Microsoft is expected to launch the Windows Phone 8 Samsung Smartphone named Apollo in October :mad:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Probably true.

I love the crap out of my 4.3" screen when I am in bed watching a movie on it. Most of the rest of the time it's more than what I need though.

IIRC the Titan isn't physically that much better than the L900, so it could be just as easy to carry around for all I know.

My point really is that Apple is pretty set on making ONE size of phone, if that is what they do, they have to make a size that works for most people. I understand completely why people like larger screens. I didn't get it until I had one. But I also understand that there is a huge fundamental design compromise made once you cross the line where a phone is no longer comfortable to use one-handed for most people. A lot of people still want big giant phone screens, and sure it's not stupid, it's just what they want. But I do think there is something to be said for ergonomics. I love my nice screen but every time I want to use my phone one handed and I have to try and balance it precariously to keep from dropping it and stretch my thumb to reach the whole screen accurately, I make this face :dry

I can't believe I'm the only person who experiences that on an almost daily basis. The big huge screen is a big tradeoff.

I think there is a happy medium between the two, and I'm betting it's right around 4-4.1" or so in a nice slim body and that's probably what the next iPhone will be.

As long as there's a nice Windows Phone right around that same size, I'll be happy. You guys can all get 13.3" screens for all I care, I just don't think I'm going to buy another phone that's not easy and comfortable to use with one hand. Just doesn't make sense for me. It's a phone.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever even used Android? It's hardly low grade crap. It's a heck of a lot more powerful than iOS or WP. Sure it might not be as polished but it's hardly as bad as you portray it to be.

I've owned two Android phones, actually I still have one of them and I also have an Android tablet (Toshiba Thrive)

Android does lots of stuff which matters to nerds who need to IRC chat on a cell phone and want to run a file server off of it, but not so much to regular consumers for whom a minimum amount of "polish" and consistency is far more important.

Android IMO sacrifices too much in pursuit of "freedom" that more often than not gets utilized by the OEM and carrier to front load the phone with customized crap and unremovable bloatware than it gets used by the owner to do wonderful magical things that a WP or iPhone user can only dream of.

Different strokes for different folks though. I know Android can do things the others can't. I've even done some of them believe it or not. Never made it worth the compromises for me.

Who knows though, maybe Google really will find the perfect middle ground with Jellybean, where you can have all that extra ability, but in a phone that doesn't stutter and crash and run like **** and have apps that all look like they were designed for 12 different OS's.

I'd love to see it. If I could somehow be convinced of it without committing to Android again, I'd be game. But I got burned 3 times. Android runs OK out of the box but 3-6 months later it's another story. It's almost like the way your new car "knows" when it's warranty period is up. I bought 3 Chevy's in a row thinking it would be different. Now I've got a Honda and I'm sticking with it for a while. I know I can't put a small block crate motor with a supercharger in it out of a catalog, but I'm OK with that because it's more important to me that the seats are comfortable, the upholstery isn't a terrible corduroy 5 different shades of ugly orange and it won't break down on my way to work twice a week.