Why Windows Phone hasn't caught on...(Revised from March-ish 2012)

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Maybe we can make a separate sub forum on here just for you to post glowing reviews and loving comments about Android on?

Wouldn't that be nice, since you can't seem to find the door.

he doesn't want to find the door... he wants the attention. so just ignore him and eventually he'll get tired of making noise without getting any response.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
market is too saturated, i dont think it will ever trully take off to the extent that android or iphone has. they came to the game way too late. not too mention the name sucks... too many people confuse windows mobile with windows phone. probably because they sound exactly alike. horrible marketing as usual. im not yet convniced windows 8 will be well recieved. porbably because i dont really like it, at least for my pc. on a tablet, well thats a diffderent story. and if we think it is hard for the windows phone to penetrate this market, wait until we see how hard it will be for the surface to penetrate the ipad marketshare... i wish them the best though

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Windows Phone can surpass the IPhones and Androids of this world, unless all the app developers somehow sees the platform as a priority. Right now, I think the only thing pulling Windows Phone back is the lack of apps. If Microsoft can somehow get all the top developers from the competition and pull them over to Windows Phone, they would have a lot more head ground I think...

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
The app argument to me, is not a big deal. Especially when taking into account quality of the app. Android may have a massive number of apps, but a large number are not worth installing. I've yet to need an app on WP that wasn't available and wasn't better than it's Android counterpart.

As long as the OS is profitable for the parties involved, and the apps are profitable, there's no reason why WP needs to be in first place IMO. To me, i believe it "keeps them honest" so to speak and pushes them harder rather than sitting on top and adding a feature here and there every year that should have been there from the beginning. Instead of incremental updates, we got sweeping updates that completely change our experience from iteration to iteration.

Not to mention, it's nice having a phone that not everyone has. Of course, everyone of my friends and coworkers is all about WP after playing with mine for 5 minutes and 5 of them, have already bought Titan II's or 900's.

If we're going to continue to support WP, we're going to have to live with the fact that we will probably never be mainstream and that's perfectly fine with me.

Oh, and while Jellybean is smooth, it's taken four major OS revisions and dual core powerhouses to get there. We've had smooth and fluid with "outdated and old" technology from the beginning :D.

Last edited:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
market is too saturated, i dont think it will ever trully take off to the extent that android or iphone has. they came to the game way too late. not too mention the name sucks... too many people confuse windows mobile with windows phone. probably because they sound exactly alike. horrible marketing as usual. im not yet convniced windows 8 will be well recieved. porbably because i dont really like it, at least for my pc. on a tablet, well thats a diffderent story. and if we think it is hard for the windows phone to penetrate this market, wait until we see how hard it will be for the surface to penetrate the ipad marketshare... i wish them the best though

This is probably true. I think Windows Phone could attain something like 20% market share within 2-3 years though with hard work and persistence. Especially if they do a good job of scooping up BlackBerry refugees and really leverage the synergy between the phone and Windows 8.

The interoperability between the desktop OS and the phone are an advantage that Windows Phone and iOS will enjoy over Android in perpetuity. It's not like any significant number of people are ever going to use Google's stupid Chrome browser OS.

Microsoft still has 90% marketshare on the desktop, they're crazy if they don't leverage that to the hilt.

They should also drop any Microsoft apps for Android and iPhone, especially Office.

mr_vpw

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Apps DO matter more than you're making out...

The app argument to me, is not a big deal. Especially when taking into account quality of the app. Android may have a massive number of apps, but a large number are not worth installing. I've yet to need an app on WP that wasn't available and wasn't better than it's Android counterpart.

I'd disagree. As someone who uses Android extensively (Motorola Atrix, UK), I also have a Nokia Lumia 710 (almost literally given to me - free phone, ?4 per month as a second line on my contract...).

I'll comment on what I like about W7 elsewhere, but the apps thing is an issue. At a personal level, I am not a games player - the odd game maybe for 10 minutes (likely to be Angry Birds or Pool etc), but most of the time not so much. WP7 has simply not got enough apps that cover popular services, sites and so on. I was surprised that more were available than I expected to be though. However my bank, the car parking service and many others I use regularly are not available. In today's phone/cell world, that just isn't good enough.

As a general user though, I suspect this is an issue. Over here (UK) at least, there are loads of adverts on TV that tell you to download an app - the apps are ALWAYS advertised as on the "App Store" for Apple, generally on "Google Play" for Android and er, never so far on Windows Phone. A few are available but the majority of apps are not. It's frustrating when Android is still second best as is (sadly) often the case, but Windows Phone and Blackberry... realistically they're far far behind.

As for the quality - ignoring the "quantity" of poor "quality" out of the debate for a minute - there are just as many terrible ones on the Windows Phone platform...

I would agree that some apps I've used on Windows Phone are beautiful - they're good looking, better in functionality and ease of use than I've seen on the Android equiv (I'm only comparing apps available for both). Some are far worse - and the whole design of the Windows Phone UI (is it Metro? Is it "modern ui? Is it Windows 8 style, MS don't even know...) is a love it/hate it thing - sometimes I love it, sometimes it's a limitation.

I genuinely think windows Phone has some plus points - but it has a lot of negatives. The apps thing shouldn't be under-estimated because "Joe Public" (the type that doesn't read/post on this type of forum) DOES care - and if 500,000 are on one platform and 100,000 are on another, it does matter to them, and equally if the apps they most want are not on the platform, it's not a choice. It won't matter how good other aspects of Windows Phone is.

The phone design themselves, and apps are undoubtedly the biggest thing for the average user if the other aspects are in "acceptable" territory.

mr_vpw

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Not sure it "kinda sucks" as such, but...

Let's just be honest. The problem is that Windows Phone kind of suck.

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far... but...

The notifications thing really irritates me. What the **** is that about? I have the ebay app on both Android and my WP7 Lumia. I hear both phones go off, I go to the WP7 device and nothing ... I didn't have it in my hand staring at the screen when the notification arrived and it's gone, I'll never know if that's ebay or some other app. The android device still has it on notifications bar.

That's one very simple example - that's just not good enough. I can live with some limitations (lack of call forwarding control etc) as the average person prob won't care, but stuff like notifications being worthless totally undermine the usefulness of the device.

The whole flipping between apps thing, or rather the inability to do this in a sane way ... that's just not good enough. It's 2012!

That's the sort of stuff that DOES mean WP7 "kinda sucks"... even if we overlook more subjective stuff like apps (though I do think it matters a lot). There is a lot of promise with WP7, and maybe 8 will make that happen ... I doubt I'll find out as I only got a WP7 device as it was exceptionally cheap to me (almost free), and I am not prepared to invest in WP8.