Why Windows Phone is dead...no seriously (/s)

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why Windows Phone is dead...no seriously...this time for real or a case for why naysayers should

Is that really so? I only had the Galaxy S for few months and never an iDevice. I got furious when all my contacts etc was synced to Google's servers even though I did ALL possible to disable syncing to Google and sync all my data via cable locally.

Set your Microsoft account as your corporate email, and you can sync everything directly to it(bypassing Google). My Nexus 5 is a better Microsoft phone than my 920, all of my Microsoft apps are awesome on it, it's crazy. I have an HP wireless printer in my den, and I can't tell you how handy it is to print documents and photos directly from my phone.

jCjdjnf.jpg

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Once we get Facebook made by Facebook I will start taking Windows Phone seriously. Util then is just another Blackberry. And I worked for them for 3 years.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why Windows Phone is dead...no seriously...this time for real or a case for why naysayers should

I look at it simplistically. I have a Lumia 1520 Cyan. I keep an eye on the latest releases. I recently bought my son a nice HTC One M8 running Android. I keep my partners' Iphones updated and functional at work, as well as assorted Blackberries (including my own Z30). The plain fact is there is no phone currently on the market, and none with the exception of the impending Blackberry Passport, that I have the slightest enviable inclination towards. There are still some things (principally email, attachments and multitasking) that Blackberry does better than everyone else. Yet my interest in the Passport is almost purely form-factor driven. I have come to really like the Windows Phone UI and OS. If they can continue to bring the functionality along, there will be no question for me which is the preferred platform. Microsoft seems committed to WP and desktop convergence in an orderly function. It seems to me that there is more at stake in that than simply smartphone unit short or even long-term profitability. So I figure WP is around for the long haul, and I am grateful and encouraged.

If they can get MS Enterprise really in sync with the WP there will be a whole lot of moving to the WP platform.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is struggling (it's not dead!) because of Google's hoarding. There's no official GMail app. And other services they have including YouTube (although MetroTube SLAUGHTERS the official Youtube app on my Android device so I have no complaints). They only have official apps for their flop services like Google+ that nobody uses.

I really don't have anything to say about Apple because I don't use much of their services except for iTunes which syncs to my WP flawlessly.

Google is threatened and they know very well that if they start to give WP a pass on their official apps, a considerable chunk of their market share would eventually go to Windows Phone. Windows Phone is currently a big threat to Android in the lower segment of the market with the 520 single handedly outpacing sales of their entry level devices. What more if Google allows their services to be officially available on Windows Phone? It's unfair but that's business. This is now where Microsoft should make extra effort. Google wouldn't kneel down to their feet, they should know that.

Windows Phone is an eye-catcher. It's definitely not ugly, the problem is the ecosystem which is 10x better than last year but still lacking. That's the biggest drawback.

I applaud Microsoft still exerting effort on Windows Phone. It really amuses me that the OS keeps on getting better even without the support of some developers and of Google. A little more, MS. Just a little more.. we're almost there. Almost.

And about Microsoft's apps looking "better" on other platforms, I don't want to sound delusional but I know they are doing this for a good purpose. Also, the UI of Skype, Outlook and Office doesn't look bad.. It fits the Metro design very well. It's not like MS apps on WP are completely rubbish.. They work and are stable. Although I believe Skype needs a little more tweaking.

With that said, I'm very happy with Windows Phone and will surely be supporting them until they stop supporting their consumers

​(PS Xbox music sucks, please fix it ASAP) =)

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone is struggling (it's not dead!) because of Google's hoarding. There's no official GMail app. And other services they have including YouTube (although MetroTube SLAUGHTERS the official Youtube app on my Android device so I have no complaints). They only have official apps for their flop services like Google+ that nobody uses.

I really don't have anything to say about Apple because I don't use much of their services except for iTunes which syncs to my WP flawlessly.

Google is threatened and they know very well that if they start to give WP a pass on their official apps, a considerable chunk of their market share would eventually go to Windows Phone. Windows Phone is currently a big threat to Android in the lower segment of the market with the 520 single handedly outpacing sales of their entry level devices. What more if Google allows their services to be officially available on Windows Phone? It's unfair but that's business. This is now where Microsoft should make extra effort. Google wouldn't kneel down to their feet, they should know that.

Windows Phone is an eye-catcher. It's definitely not ugly, the problem is the ecosystem which is 10x better than last year but still lacking. That's the biggest drawback.

I applaud Microsoft still exerting effort on Windows Phone. It really amuses me that the OS keeps on getting better even without the support of some developers and of Google. A little more, MS. Just a little more.. we're almost there. Almost.

And about Microsoft's apps looking "better" on other platforms, I don't want to sound delusional but I know they are doing this for a good purpose. Also, the UI of Skype, Outlook and Office doesn't look bad.. It fits the Metro design very well. It's not like MS apps on WP are completely rubbish.. They work and are stable. Although I believe Skype needs a little more tweaking.

With that said, I'm very happy with Windows Phone and will surely be supporting them until they stop supporting their consumers

​(PS Xbox music sucks, please fix it ASAP) =)

Exactly

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
In my opinion, Windows Phones are here to stay, at least for now. Even though the OS came long after Android or iOS, it doesn't mean WP isn't revolutionary. It's original, slick and with the new update a very nice looking interface with a lot of customization. It's a system centralized around what the user wants. I doubt there's a Windows Phone that looks the same as another once you unlock it, now that you can put in pictures and add a third row of tiles.
The only problem is exactly what many people have been saying: Microsoft isn't advertising their products. They're not getting their name out there. They're relying completely on the heresay and on the name of the company, not the product. I believe that if Microsoft focused all their energy on releasing a budget, a mid-range, a high end and a "phablet"(hate that word), and marketed their product like crazy, they could get a real foothold in the market. People like Windows Phones(well at least the majority of people who do switch), just most don't even know they exist.
Microsoft has the design, a good solid design as well, but where's the foundation? Even people who like Windows Phones(such as my stepmom) now use Android phones because there isn't a good selection of top notch Microsoft products. I started with the 520, a good, dependable budget phone, but now I worry about the availability of high end phones. Where's the 1530? The 1030? We have the 530, the 630...so on.
Microsoft has invested a lot into their phones. In the long run, Microsoft can really dominate, but they have to get started first. If their phones fail...Microsoft might not recover. We'd lose one of the only real interfaces for computers, a great phone OS...
I see phenomenal potential in Microsoft, a bright future looming just out of sight. I hope Microsoft walks towards this light, I really like my phone.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Its been 4 years since Windows phone came out and MS still has less than 5% market share, what does this mean ? Its that MS are clearly not putting enough effort in WP because if they would have then WP market share would have been at least 15-20%. The numbers speak for themselves.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft can really dominate, but they have to get started first. If their phones fail...Microsoft might not recover.

Huh? Microsoft gets their profits from software and services. By their own predictions, handset sales through their Nokia acquisition will not even become profitable until 2016..maybe.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Not only that, but only people with degrees? YOU MUST ATTEND COLLEGE FOR FOUR YEARS TO ANSWER SILLY QUESTION TO STRANGER.
I don't pretend to be an expert, but I have a lot of experience and I read a lot. But I've never gone to school to learn about how to market a phone "by the book."

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
WP isn't dead... No, seriously.

BUT, Nadella is above all things, a businessman. Businesses do not exist or survive supporting products that don't make money. That's just not a good business model. If WP can't start turning a profit or making money for MS, he's going to cut/sell/kill it. Bottom line, he's not going to bleed money or resources to try and keep it alive for a small percentage of die-hard fans.

No matter how we all feel about it, unless we're where Nadella is sitting, our opinions don't mean anything about the future of WP. Since we can't influence up, how many of us are preaching the value of WP? How many of us give people a compelling reason to look at and give WP a chance? Are we, the fan-base, being good enough salespeople to help convert people when the timing is right? Before pointing fingers at what Apple or Google is doing, what are WE doing?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Well said. But as a business man Nadella must see the potential in phones. Hopefully, along with the help of us 2.7%, Microsoft can really kick off with their phones and become 10-15% at least of the market share.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion