Will there be proper apps for Google applications in Windows 10 for phones?

scavira

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
There are lot of windows phone users who still use Google applications in everyday life, like Gmail, Youtube, Google Plus etc. Until Windows 8.1, there is no proper Google applications in Windows mobile.

But in Windows 10 for phones, can we expect Google applications? Since there will be a single application across all devices, will Google make these applications?
Is there any news regarding this?
What do you think?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The sole reason Google apps don't exist for Windows Phone is because Google doesn't want them to. Maybe if enough WP users who still use Google services email the Google bigwigs about this matter, they will realize the only thing they are accomplishing is the alienation of their users. Maybe then it will change..

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Google have a history of actively breaking things that allow access to their services from other platforms. That's not likely to change soon. And MS services are better anyway.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes, many people nowadays rely a lot on Google's services.

But Windows users should be wise enough to avoid Google's services.

Except map services (Here maps is in general not as useful as Google's Map), Microsoft's services are as good as Google's.

Google is a selfish company that is afraid of losing market share. That's why I hate Google even more than Apple.

Well, this may not be something bad - at least this can push Microsoft to improve its own services.

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, many people nowadays rely a lot on Google's services.

But Windows users should be wise enough to avoid Google's services.

Except map services (Here maps is in general not as useful as Google's Map), Microsoft's services are as good as Google's.

Google is a selfish company that is afraid of losing market share. That's why I hate Google even more than Apple.

Well, this may not be something bad - at least this can push Microsoft to improve its own services.

Every company is selfish and self serving, that business. Google doesn't like/hates Microsoft and that's not unwarranted or irrational. They have some amazing services, and Microsoft has some pretty good services aswell. If Google chooses not to support Microsoft platform, that is their right.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Every company is selfish and self serving, that business. Google doesn't like/hates Microsoft and that's not unwarranted or irrational. They have some amazing services, and Microsoft has some pretty good services aswell. If Google chooses not to support Microsoft platform, that is their right.

Of course this is business.

But having such right does not mean it is welcomed by the public.

I don't agree that Google, as a tech giant, needs to be so selfish in order to survive. There are many ways to survive but Google chooses the selfish way. This is the truth.

We are not arguing whether they have the rights to do so. Of course they have. I believe being so selfish does not have a positive impact on them in the long run. Period.

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

I don't agree that Google, as a tech giant, needs to be so selfish in order to survive. There are many ways to survive but Google chooses the selfish way. This is the truth.

We are not arguing whether they have the rights to do so. Of course they have. I believe being so selfish does not have a positive impact on them in the long run. Period.

I mean if you want to be perfectly honest, 96% of the public/market really isn't effect, nor cares if Google doesn't support Windows Phone, its not like their services isn't reachable through any web browser. Seeing that Google covers 96% of the market with their services, on both iOS and Android (with accounts for 96%), the long term affect of not supporting Microsoft's platform (witch only account for 3%) will be minimal at best.

Edit, also how is Google being selfish? They make their stuff available to the majority of the mobile market.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
And yet when Microsoft and Nokia take their services to iOS and Android, there is the same gnashing of teeth from the Windows faithful. I can only hope the people who hiss about Google's "selfishness" are not the same ones who want MS to keep Windows services exclusive to WP, because that would be some weapons-grade duplicity.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Google is not withholding apps from WP for the purpose of being mean or selfish, and Microsoft is not providing apps to iOS and Android to be nice. It is a calculated decision by both companies to maximize profits. Each would probably do what the other is doing if given the other's situation.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Tell me what are the disadvantages of windows phones? Apps. I dont agree to that but thats what everyone says.
Google doesnt want to put their apps on windows phone because that gives windows phone an advantage to rise in market share, some people are avoiding windows phone because for the lack of google apps, not because they don't like windows phone.
I know Google and Microsoft are not exactly best friends, but If you were in Google's position you would probably do the same, which is why i dont blame Google for not supporting windows phone, they obviously dont want to see their competition rise and it was a business decision that Google apps are not here. Maybe after plenty of users start using Windows phone Google will have no choice but to make the apps.For the time being, just be thankful they arent acting like snapchat.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There are lot of windows phone users who still use Google applications in everyday life, like Gmail, Youtube, Google Plus etc. Until Windows 8.1, there is no proper Google applications in Windows mobile.

But in Windows 10 for phones, can we expect Google applications? Since there will be a single application across all devices, will Google make these applications?
Is there any news regarding this?
What do you think?

No.

The fact that one app can be used across devices is completely irrelevant to Google. You can access all their services on Windows through any browser or extensions. Same thing for Windows tablets, specially since RT is dead.
Google already has a YouTube app on Xbox so that's covered.

And therefore, for Google, they'd be developing the apps for Windows Phone only, just like before WP10. Which means 2.7% of the mobile consumers. As you may imagine, that's not a profitable sight for Google even if they didn't had anything against WP.

And now that apps on the Play Store are finally making more revenue than apps on iOS, Google has even fewer motives to care about Universal W10 apps at all.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The sole reason why there are no Google apps on Windows Phone is that if there were Google would loose market share to Microsoft one of their competitors. Google is the main reason Windows Phone has not gained market share in the US like it has in Europe where market share is 10% or higher & growing.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Guys we don't desperately need Google apps in WP. YouTube is already covered by third party, we have metrotube my favorite. The mobile version of Google.com works fine, G+ works partially. Hangouts is the only one that does not work at all. I have not test yet the other google services but they may work or not using the mobile version of IE.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys we don't desperately need Google apps in WP.

I'm really tired of hearing this argument. I'm tired of hearing that we don't have a app gap issue. I'm tired of the excuses. I'm tired of hearing how W10 will magically save things.

Not saying that W10 will be a failure either but I don't expect things to turn around quickly.

Here's the thing that people don't seem to get. Business decisions are simply that. The number one question on every developers mind when it comes to W10 is, what is the app store numbers for Windows. Not WP, Windows.

It doesn't matter how many installs of W10 or W8.1, the question will always be about store numbers. If the numbers are low apps won't come. It's really that simple. It's a business decision. It's not about being evil or ignoring users.

I'm a user of W8.1 and I like it but I only ever use one app from the store. One.

If you can justify why any developer should spend money on developing for the current 3% market share then you have greater insight than I do. I have no idea what the numbers are for the Windows Store.

At this point in time, Windows Phone has a lot of catching up to do. Regardless of missing Google apps or any social media apps, it's simply being left in the dark by many many niche developers as well. Complementary apps and so on.

I hope as much as anyone on here that MS and Windows gets better but there's no point sticking your head in the sand and saying all is well when it isn't.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
For the OP.

Since Android has over a billion users, the likelihood of Google releasing services any time soon for Window Phone is zero.

Window 10 will have to prove that it can get users interested. Until Windows Phone take up (W10?) is hitting 10% in each market I don't see much changing.

As someone has pointed out already. Google covers 97% of users. Is that 3% really significant? What are they losing?

scavira

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
As someone has pointed out already. Google covers 97% of users. Is that 3% really significant? What are they losing?

As I see, Windows 10 is not just 3% of the phone market.

Everyone should see the recording of Ignite conference which happened two weeks back.

Microsoft has implemented a feature called continuum. A single device can be used as a phone AND PC or a single device can be used as tablet AND PC. It is not the same as the 2 in 1s that are currently in the market. It is much more than that.

You dock your phone and tablet and immediately boom! All apps [ and I mean ALL apps - watch the recording] turn into a desktop app which you can use exactly same as when you are sitting on your desktop with keyboard and mouse.

So the number of people buying laptops will definitely reduce. [Desktop faithfuls will be harder to convince though] . Instead people will just buy a high power phone or tablet and use just that.

So doesn't it make sense now Google to come in , as they will be losing the desktop market too?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
For the OP.

Since Android has over a billion users, the likelihood of Google releasing services any time soon for Window Phone is zero.

Window 10 will have to prove that it can get users interested. Until Windows Phone take up (W10?) is hitting 10% in each market I don't see much changing.

Guys you forgot one simple detail... The apps will work across all devices which means that apps that developers made for Windows 10 desktop will also work in Windows Phone 10, because they are universal apps. They don't need to be made for one specific device. This is where Microsoft said that developers should be interested on making their app universal.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As I see, Windows 10 is not just 3% of the phone market.

Everyone should see the recording of Ignite conference which happened two weeks back.

Microsoft has implemented a feature called continuum. A single device can be used as a phone AND PC or a single device can be used as tablet AND PC. It is not the same as the 2 in 1s that are currently in the market. It is much more than that.

You dock your phone and tablet and immediately boom! All apps [ and I mean ALL apps - watch the recording] turn into a desktop app which you can use exactly same as when you are sitting on your desktop with keyboard and mouse.

So the number of people buying laptops will definitely reduce. [Desktop faithfuls will be harder to convince though] . Instead people will just buy a high power phone or tablet and use just that.

So doesn't it make sense now Google to come in , as they will be losing the desktop market too?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Yes I have read the news and seen the video for Continuum. As a person who has followed technology their whole life (I'm over 40 and I've been using computers since I was 10ish) this has been the dream since mobile technology came out.

We don't know at this stage if this is flagship only or not. My guess would be yes.

My whole comment, if you took the time to read it, is about what appeal, if any, this has to developers of mobile apps.

It's very easy to get caught up in the 'wow' that's neat, without putting things into perspective. Enterprise is very very conservative, and is still MS's biggest repeat customer. Most enterprises who dropped BB have gone to either Android or Apple. MS missed the boat. I don't see many of them moving to W10 any time soon as they are slow to move.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced things will work as smoothly as they indicate and what apps will be supported is the other question. Office is great if you use Office regularly at home or away. Not sure what hotels he goes to but some still charge insane amounts just for WiFi, let alone letting you view things on their TVs...

My comment about 3% was about WP as that's still what mobile developers look at. Next will be Windows Store with W10. Is there a market for them is the question that they want answered. I don't have the answer to that.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys you forgot one simple detail... The apps will work across all devices which means that apps that developers made for Windows 10 desktop will also work in Windows Phone 10, because they are universal apps. They don't need to be made for one specific device. This is where Microsoft said that developers should be interested on making their app universal.

I haven't forgotten anything. Read my previous post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte