Will Windows Mobile ever succeed?

gabrelov

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
It said at least 8 Million(lumia alone) this Q3 and not Q4, so expect higher than 8 million so possibly all numbers of WP sold this Q3 maybe 10 million or so since nokia holds almost 90% of the market. Wait Q4 possibly 12-15 million or more cause its a holiday period. I am already noticing it that Nokia is again gaining momentum as I go through nokia stores in malls as many people flock and each day possibly per store in our country they would have sold hundreds including Asha phones. No doubt about than since the 520 alone can sell up to a million a month.

There is what we call trend, when people see you are using a Nokia RT and they like the interface and see the amazing display there is and is a very big probability that those who sees it dumps their android tablets for a Nokia tablet instead. This is the trend in technology as many low class android tablet surfaces they are almost disposable as for my experience on that (4 tablets are now useless all android due to lag). We all know Nokia is known for their build quality products which is why they are not disposable and are really competitive.

I will bet here that within a year WP and Tt will be a threat to android.

Usman Mubashir

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
When I became WP ******, I had only seen the Lumia 610 and 800. Then came Windows Phone 8 and I knew I was never gonna let go of WP8. Here's why:

The jump from WP7 to WP8 was enough to convince me that MS was moving towards integration with Desktop OS. I am a very tech savy guy and I like to keep my stuff together in most simples way possible. Android and iOS will never be on my list as they cannot integrate enough with Windows 8 on my laptop. Yes I can add apps but Why should i get a tons of apps for something i can do with built in OS feature. hence I have more space for gaming apps. I am pointing to File Synchronization through Sky Drive which is built-in in Windows 8 and WP8 versus Google Drive for which I have to install software.

Just when it was mentioned that GDR3 will make WP 60% Win RT, and soon RT and WP will be combined, i saw another compelling reason to stick to WP8. See in future, I might be able to load IE11 and One Note together and take notes on Lumia 1520 when there sufficient similarity between RT and WP.

I learned that WP's kernel is same as desktop Windows, now that was cool news. may be, just may be, when Windows and Windows Phone 9 comes, MS will enable a remote controlling app on WP devices. I open an app on my phone, it connects to my PC via bluetooth/WiFi/Network and then I could open Photoshop on my desktop, controlling it with a controller app on my device with shortcuts. Or even stream games like need for speed and play it right on my phone while the PC screen remains blank and my phone's battery is not slaughtered.
MS even showed streaming HALO on Lumia 520 from the cloud, the technology cannot be so far.

If you still cannot see what I'm getting at, it is the fact that Windows Phone has the brightest future because of its strong integration with Desktop Windows. There will be so many possible features to add that iPhone and Android would not be able to compete. And sorry NO, I wont be going over to Mac or Chrome OS if Apple or Google gets there first. Microsoft it is!

vishnu ambili

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
What takes WP to heights, no really !!

Okay. Im sure that you all came across many posts like this. What WP really needs to succeed?? Before we start discussing about what it needs to succeed, let us rewind what we know already (about why the platform is striving to get a foothold).
First and foremost, "there's no app for that" situation-which is obviously the lack of support from developers. They have their own reasons for that. (we don't want to discuss chicken-egg situation here again). Secondly, "There is no option for that"-situation. Now this comes from our own MSFT. The OS itself lacks from many features. We have no notification center, no file manager, lack of APIs (from a developer's perspective). Again we don't want to discuss whether we really need these so called "missing" features. We did that a zillion times before.
Thirdly, the bad press. Honestly, pretty much everyone out in that field have a strong distaste against WP. I don't know why, neither do they. May be it's their hatred against MS, they don't like a giant coming out to an arena and throwing out it's opponents swiftly and creating a monopoly. (their desktop OS, Office suite, cloud solutions are some examples). In some field, it's opponents didn't even had a chance to compete. Or it might be their loyalism towards the android, iOS. Whatever the reason might be, they keep publishing blogs either biased against WP or whistling the disadvantages of our one year old OS. (if you never seen one, really! Get out of WPC and look beyond win sites).
Is that it!! Pretty much. Although above sited reasons are true to an extent. The real reason that keeps the WP crippled is something else. It's so simple but is most significant than anything else.
Human perception. Our attitude towards everything defines it. If a company succeeds in creating a positive perception towards itself, it ultimately wins. For example, let us take something very simple. Which color do you like?. I can probably guess what it will be. Almost everyone would tell a colour that we can easily see in a crayon box. (well if you said some other colour or something like #389AD2, well congrats. You are one of the few who are ahead of the curve). What i am coming to tell is this, most of us don't think something that is uncommon. No no, a correction we do think something weird but never follow it in the fear of what others might think. We don't want to think outside of the society and look like a freak. Okay try wearing a printed tee-shirt and blue jeans and walk into your company's board meeting.( good luck on keeping that job afterwards). Again, who made a rule that it is anti-social to do something that no one would do. Answer is, us. Yeah, we all have tons of maxims around us for every aspects of our life.
Now connect this with our WP situation. I think you got what i really was saying. If you don't, let me explain simply. My friends are playing with their smartphones which are very popular in the market. You can remember their icon-based structures and all. I don't want to hold a phone that has coloured boxes which looks like colouring sections of a kid's book. What would they think about me if i took my mobile in front of them. Seriously, i had to convince one of my friends that it is actually a smart phone and there is an OS called WP at first time. I was afraid to hold it in my hand for so long time even though it contains NOKIA above the screen. ( i come from a land where nokia has a strong brand recognition, take it to the account). When i am in public everyone would stare at me and my so-called weirdo mobile until i put it back into my pocket. They keep looking at it and thinks it as anything but a mobile. Some even asked me what it actually was. Seriously. Some thought it was above any mobile phone they've known after i explained them. No one wants to get leper-d from the tech community around them just because they have have a phone that no one else has. Taking account of that no app problem with this, we don't stand a chance when we compare ours with them. I didn't. All i could be proud of my 920 was it had a powerful camera. Even the fluid UI was armless against S3 and optimus(android at that hi-spec was sleek too). Adding "no options for that" in OS, most of 'we', switch to some other platform.
To prove what i am telling you is some what true, let us take a statistics about the adoption of WP. It says about 47% (not sure), users migrating to WP are from feature phones. Which is huge by the way. Think, in feature phones there aren't any apps. A feature phone user never uses Instagram, may be never even heard of it. No app problem is not a matter for him (at least until he gets to know about all these, which happens pretty fast). He might not know what features different OSs provide. (unless he does a lot of research on that, unlikely). Look here, im talking about common man here, not techies and nerds. He just looks at the mobile specs and goes for it. They will start their journey with a smartphone from lower-tier phone. My condolences for those who chose an android at entry level. Which happens for the most of the time. Forget about iOS here, I've never seen a person who buys iPhone as his first smart phone. Some select WP(thanks to 520) and gets to know everything about smart phone world then after. But i rarely seen persons who regretted buying a 520 for app situation.
Does all this ring a bell in your head!!. It's our perception about everything that determines the success.
Okay, i am getting long and dragged you all the way to here. Here's my point. MS needs to change world's perception against it's cute OS (in some parts of world,it needs to create awareness also).
The OS is awesome and has a solid foundation. I remember how crap android was in it's 1.0v days. The success mantra of android was open source and Samsung's hatred against Nokia's Symbian fueled it. But on the other hand, WP is not a crap in its first iteration, which we are using by the way without much regret. All it needs is some time to grow.
I am seeing a change here, i see phones with coloured boxes in its screen more often nowadays. People started to accept it as a part of their community. They are getting used to the plain sleek OS. The process is gradual but promising. By the time people get to used to it and think about giving it a try, the MS would add all those missing features and ornaments to its new born daughter and app ecosystem would be more stable. Both these things would merge to a single point in near future. I guess, that would be the moment WP really starts to take off from the ground. Which is in my opinion happens some where near 2017 or WP 8.5 .
-Here's to a software giant who never stopped pushing until it reaches top and crowns itself.

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The UI. Simple as that. It's beautiful, it's organized, it's efficient, and it's fast. iOS and Android are simply lists of apps with some exceptions. WP is truly 'alive'.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
> "Why WP will succeed?"

As proven again and again thru the ages...
'There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come'

Form doesn't follow function and function certainly doesn't follow form other than in the art world and fruit-Ive cultural anthropology. Microsoft's graphic interpretation of a tag-cloud inspired app UI has dared to posit a new idea ... form IS function and function IS form.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If I may chime in.

The L520-521 have hit the target spot on for users like myself who have been sitting in the corner waiting for the other two to notice us.
We are old gray senior gadget geeks that wanted a nifty smartphone without having to sign away short remaining lifespans to jump in.
Windows on a low cost phone is the stuff my device dreams were made of:
It's simple
It's familiar
It's smooth
It's colorful
It's inviting
It's organized
It needs no hacks
It's as friendly as a mobile OS can be

I've never had any crash, weirdness or lock-up in two months of pure joy.
If all the above would have applied to my previous OS experience maybe I would still be with it.

Glad I'm here now.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
MS should aim to make the Windows Phone OS take the best from iOS and Android.

It seems Windows Phone has the consistent and reliable UI part down.

But it needs to be more open to developers, a la Android. I'm not talking about opening it up to the extent where you can skin and slaughter it, but to the extent where developing apps such as VLC could be easier or experiences such as Maluuba more meaningful. Additionally, some OS elements should also be available to users, e.g. native file manager, the ability to take on UI-level customizations, etc. Sure, it need not be up front, perhaps hidden away in an "Advanced" tab or something. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make WP capable of Miracast and MHL either.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I think they need to strengthen their integration. If I delete an email on my Surface, it should not appear on my phone. Also, viewing my Facebook notifications through Me Tile doesn't affect the notifications the Facebook app receives. By improving on their integration as much as possible, they can use this as a unique feature and crush the opposition.

rahul.sharma

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Destined to succeed.
Just need to see the day when RT and WP merge completes. This will give us a device in our pocket that works as phone and PC both. No more mobile OS....

Windows8Lover

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: The good things about WP8 (Why WP will succeed)

Hello,

I am planning to do a start-up. I got to know that Windows phone users love their device, but they have concerns with the number of apps available on the platform. They would like to have popular apps from Android or iPhone available on Windows Phone.

My idea is to make android apps available on Windows Phone. I have explained the idea in following survey.

Could you please help me understand your sentiments as a windows phone user? I would really love to have your feedback on this.Its a short survey.it wont take much time Here is the link to my survey -
Survey : Run Android apps on Windows Phone

Thank you!

Lumiant

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I would like to honor Nokia for seeing the potential in Windows Phone and making it popular
  1. Sleek interface
  2. Windows 8.1 compatibility
  3. Vibrant color scheme
  4. Baterry efficient
  5. Intuitive interface
  6. Robust settings
  7. Clean status bar
  8. Live tiles
  9. Great Animations
  10. Best Typography

NDCowpoke

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
WP has and will continue to work for me and my spouse. I'm 60 and the other half is 71 and has Alzheimer's and the main screen works so well. The full width life tile for weather at the top of the screen. Then large photo tiles of me and siblings for direct dial plus a dialer tile for any other calls. Last is Chronos Live tile full width with lots of famliy dates, birthdays, anniversaries and a nice picture of the home place at the farm as the background. It's great for low vision and bad memory, what more could we want. Can you imagine us trying to use an Android phone or Iphone, hell no, just saying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire