Will Windows Mobile ever succeed?

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Don't Desperate

On the tread "Windows 10 will save Windows Phone" I see many people that are about to give over Windows phone, what's up? We area a solid OS, a Microsoft platform, and all of this is because the apps, people don't worry, look how we have overcame and survived even without tons of apps a like Android apps, we continue growing, things won't change in the blink of an eye, let's have faith that Microsoft will solve this problem.
Let's keep supporting Windows Phone!

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Re: The good things about WP8 (Why WP will succeed)

I bought WP just for MS office,onenote.But now these services are available on ios and Androids for free.This will definitely affect WPs sales.If MS continues to give away WPs unique services,i don't see how WP going to succeed.
Click here to see my thread and give your opinion.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Why I like winodws phone and what will make it succeed. Wow big questions!

My view:

1. "We put people first"
2."Get things done"
3. "Less is more"
4. Metro/Modern UI
5. Making handwriting with a stylus and ink-to-text recognition sexy again

CrescentBunny

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
There are times when I wonder how would it be if I had a Android or IOS phone, but thinking of it, I've been a Windows User since well, forever, Windows Computer and look now, Windows Phone. My Lumia is unique, I've got to be a few people with Lumia in my school, Lumia's are amazing, Good interface, Fast and Easy

WPit

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Why windows phone can beat the competition?

For various reasons of course, but I would say that the main would be: life cycle of competition products, Windows 10 operating systems that share the same code base, complexity and performance of Windows 10 operating systems, universal Windows 10 Store and Nokia legacy.

These would be the main reasons in my humble opinion. I may have forgotten some, of course! Contribute please!

Aside from this, the other day, I attended a discussion on the internet about how Microsoft approaches the mobile phone market. Basically, defended the theory that the Redmond giant advances on two fronts: in the pursuit of profit through the sale of low-cost smartphones, which provide you gain in scale, and the search for the sale of smartphones with high differential compared to those cheaper.

Note that when I quote life cycle of competition products in the first paragraph, I think about the next Lumia top line. Why? For two reasons. First because many feel that Microsoft owes a high-end smartphone and second, justifying the first proposition, because Microsoft has published the next high-end will only come when the Windows 10 for smartphones is ready for release (RTM). There I speculate, the company is on the right timing! The high-end one can only be successful, and will be, I believe, if you come with the difference that everyone expects: top hardware and Windows 10 experience similar to its desktop iteration! When Microsoft delivers all planned products and services, it will be the milestone that indicates the beginning of the decline of the life cycle of products and services from the competition!

RusG

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Big thanks to Ryan Hardy from "The Following" I've switched to WP from iPhone almost two years ago and still happy! :wink:

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
For the Windows Phone to succeed, Microsoft should give the best of all, both hardware, software, latest processors, All universal quality apps with timely updates, best user experience and in Windows 10 mobile in Lumia smartphones.

Microsoft Mobile should develop Microsoft Lumia smartphones as Windows Devices that are standards so that other OEMs would use Windows 10 mobile as a Reliable OS for Smartphones. Microsoft should advertise What Lumia Smartphones are capable of in every medias.

They should make Lumia Smartphones with best design, nice sleek robust build quality with latest processors and hardware advancements.

Look at the design and build quality of 520, 720, 820, 920, 925, 928, 1020 they were great in hardware aspect if not in software.

But, all the later phones either have hardware faults such as Lumia 1520, Lumia 630, Lumia 640 XL, Lumia 930 or not nice design and build quality, good internal components assembling such as in Lumia 535, 530, 630, 730, 640, 640XL, 540 even 830 and the differentiating factors are not present such as many of these have similar HD display, same Snapdragon 400 processor. Lumia Smartphones should use latest processors in every phone and have quality build and appealing design with no hardware faults and differentiating factors in every Lumia series phones.

Last edited:

anon(9585872)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Windows phones are amazing if you have a Windows computer because then they are super connected, Windows phone are super durable phones with a long battery life, amazing price, I could go on forever. There is only ONE problem; the app selection, they really need to improve that Larry of their phones.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Nothing found here that could really convince people to switch to WP.
Some good points tho like camera quality, battery capacity, build quality, glance screen but almost all of them are hardware-related and not something you can only get with WP.
Still, in my opinion, android gives you the most freedom any mobile OS can give you.

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I think that Microsoft has been taking on Android and iOS head on which is not the way to go. They should instead focus on three aspects when marketing and developing W10M and Window Phones.

First, they should say that Window Phone is best for business, because it is more secure then Android, and has better software integration with Microsoft Office, OneNote, Outlook and other Microsoft services.

Second, they should say that Window Phone is best for XBox games. XBox has many great games and people are familiar with them. Google and Apple both do not do games.

Third, they should focus on the camera as this is a Nokia legacy. Invest in great camera system with the Zeiss lens. Have more camera features.

For focusing on the above 3 key areas. Window Phones will become attractive to both enterprises and consumers. People who use the phones will then not mind having less apps to choose from because their phones can do things better than other phones in these three areas.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Because I am using! Personally i love this OS. Only one problem is App Gap.

There's actually a bigger problem, and part of the reason for the app gap, which is MS being unable to get quality phones in all the mobile carriers. Having carrier exclusives of some of the nicer models as well as not being able to get their latest phones on contract killed the WP user base. 90% of US buyers get a phone from a carrier on contract or lease. The absence in today's event announcement of any x86 Surface Phone means the user base will continue to shrink, so expect more apps to drop WP support. Sad but true.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
There's actually a bigger problem, and part of the reason for the app gap, which is MS being unable to get quality phones in all the mobile carriers. Having carrier exclusives of some of the nicer models as well as not being able to get their latest phones on contract killed the WP user base. 90% of US buyers get a phone from a carrier on contract or lease. The absence in today's event announcement of any x86 Surface Phone means the user base will continue to shrink, so expect more apps to drop WP support. Sad but true.

So you are saying that there's nothing to do?

Cheers

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the "app gap" isn't entirely the issue. Most "apps" are just windows to a webapp that could easily be handled over the internet without paying google or apple, and I'm noticing several workplace-related apps doing exactly that.

You look at facebook for example, and people complaining that the windows version is a terrible quality. The problem is ALL versions of facebook app for ALL OSes are terrible quality. It's a battery-draining mess that has probably resulted in more needless device returns for "battery life" than anything else! I remember a year ago mobile nations had in both android and iOS sections an article on the joys and wonders of uninstalling facebook and going from the webapp.

You look at apps for smartwatches, home automation, etc... and you find there is absolutely amazing 3rd party support for these. Run your nest and color-changing lightbulbs from your phone...or your xbox. Just speak to Cortana and she'll handle everything. I am absolutely LOVING Pebble Time Manager, bugs and all.

I think the real issue is that Microsoft has pulled back to regroup. We don't hear anything, we don't know anything, and this frustrates the fans who don't know who to blame. They think it's being ignored and avoided. Meanwhile websites like this one blog those sentiments and validate them, which only frustrates those fans more. It's like I said in another thread, Microsoft isn't happy dumping time and resources over and over just to get 3rd place... they are in it to win it.

I also know that fans are fickle, and that Nintendo fans were acting EXACTLY THE SAME as what you see here in any Nintendo-related forum before the Switch was announced. "OMG THIS IS THEIR LAST CHANCE! THEY'RE GONNA DIE! SONY IS GOING TO WIN EVERYTHING!" (Gimmie a break, Sony is bleeding cash right now...) Businesses often won't reveal info until they are ready. They want to know exactly what they can reveal to both tempt customers and avoid future confrontations. They want to give the biggest surprise so their competition has to react rather than prevent.

And you know what I think... Microsoft's been pulling some interesting and creative work involving virtual machines lately. Just look at Xbox. I think that if whatever Microsoft is up to can run win32 or win64 software, the app gap will be squished like a bug. Who cares about an "app gap" if you can just install bluestacks? Is it as efficient? No. Will it eat your battery? Probably. But google play would look kinda silly to a gamer sitting next to full access to something like Steam, even if not everything ran perfectly.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I think the "app gap" isn't entirely the issue. Most "apps" are just windows to a webapp that could easily be handled over the internet without paying google or apple, and I'm noticing several workplace-related apps doing exactly that.

You look at facebook for example, and people complaining that the windows version is a terrible quality. The problem is ALL versions of facebook app for ALL OSes are terrible quality. It's a battery-draining mess that has probably resulted in more needless device returns for "battery life" than anything else! I remember a year ago mobile nations had in both android and iOS sections an article on the joys and wonders of uninstalling facebook and going from the webapp.

You look at apps for smartwatches, home automation, etc... and you find there is absolutely amazing 3rd party support for these. Run your nest and color-changing lightbulbs from your phone...or your xbox. Just speak to Cortana and she'll handle everything. I am absolutely LOVING Pebble Time Manager, bugs and all.

I think the real issue is that Microsoft has pulled back to regroup. We don't hear anything, we don't know anything, and this frustrates the fans who don't know who to blame. They think it's being ignored and avoided. Meanwhile websites like this one blog those sentiments and validate them, which only frustrates those fans more. It's like I said in another thread, Microsoft isn't happy dumping time and resources over and over just to get 3rd place... they are in it to win it.

I also know that fans are fickle, and that Nintendo fans were acting EXACTLY THE SAME as what you see here in any Nintendo-related forum before the Switch was announced. "OMG THIS IS THEIR LAST CHANCE! THEY'RE GONNA DIE! SONY IS GOING TO WIN EVERYTHING!" (Gimmie a break, Sony is bleeding cash right now...) Businesses often won't reveal info until they are ready. They want to know exactly what they can reveal to both tempt customers and avoid future confrontations. They want to give the biggest surprise so their competition has to react rather than prevent.

And you know what I think... Microsoft's been pulling some interesting and creative work involving virtual machines lately. Just look at Xbox. I think that if whatever Microsoft is up to can run win32 or win64 software, the app gap will be squished like a bug. Who cares about an "app gap" if you can just install bluestacks? Is it as efficient? No. Will it eat your battery? Probably. But google play would look kinda silly to a gamer sitting next to full access to something like Steam, even if not everything ran perfectly.

People whose favorite apps aren't on Windows mobile, care about the app gap.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

The problem is the app gap. Nothing more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes