Win11 does not always recognize insertion or removal of external SATA drive

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Asus B660M-plus wifi d4
Intel i7-12700K
Windows 11 Pro
4x removable sata bays

All four sata ports are set as "hot plug enabled" in BIOS. However, Windows does not always recognize that a drive has been inserted -OR- when a "safely ejected" drive has been removed.

If you monitor "Disk Drives" in Device manager, you can observe that when you click "safely remove", a yellow triangle appears by the drive in question as expected. However, the triangle and drive do not always go away when the drive is physically removed.

Conversely... if you monitor "Disk Drives" in device manager while you insert a removable drive, the drive does not always appear.

If you select "scan for hardware changes" within device manager the system always recognizes the correct state of the removable sata drives.

This behavior persists after flashing the BIOS to the current version for this motherboard (2212).

Can anyone suggest a fix or even a way to determine if the issue is the BIOS or Windows?

Paul

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to use the feedback hub but when I open the hub app it wants me to use Windows Hello. I don't want to use Windows Hello because it disables setting up auto login through netplwiz. So.....

Paul

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon