Windows 10 for Phones will be out TODAY!

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Um guys, why would they only release the phone version on the tenth? Wouldn't they release the whole windows 10 lineup on the tenth (computers)? Why just phones?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The mess will only be exacerbated by your subset of apps - and how well they'll play with the newest version of the OS.

Sooooo, yes, it will initially be a mess. Some legacy apps (holdovers from WinPhone7) will break, they may fubar your phone, interacting with the NU OS. If I was prepping my phone for Windows 10 Preview, I'd take a long, hard look @ my apps & get rid of the ones I don't use.

As far as backup, you rocket scientists that are gonna restore from backup to Windows 10, might want to think that thru. Another setup detail, would be creating a NU Outlook email address, just for the test version of Windows - this way, you preserve your last, good backup for the final build, or for when you have to run NSRT to fallback on your Lumia (don't know about those HTC, Samsung, etc phones)

Got you thinking, NOW ...

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The mess will only be exacerbated by your subset of apps - and how well they'll play with the newest version of the OS.

Sooooo, yes, it will initially be a mess. Some legacy apps (holdovers from WinPhone7) will break, they may fubar your phone, interacting with the NU OS. If I was prepping my phone for Windows 10 Preview, I'd take a long, hard look @ my apps & get rid of the ones I don't use.

As far as backup, you rocket scientists that are gonna restore from backup to Windows 10, might want to think that thru. Another setup detail, would be creating a NU Outlook email address, just for the test version of Windows - this way, you preserve your last, good backup for the final build, or for when you have to run NSRT to fallback on your Lumia (don't know about those HTC, Samsung, etc phones)

What about a MS alias (I know I have one)

Joe Rodak

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Using an alias will still connect you to the same Microsoft account. You will have to make a completely new Microsoft account to keep the backups separate.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Why? What's with backup? You can restore like 15 last backups. I was offered to restore one from 2012!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure I like 3 rows of quick actions (assuming those screens shots are legit)... Although I'll probably get used to it in no time.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting to see we still don't have a clear majority on this one. Now with screenshots floating about, I am sure those who said "After 19th" voted it a little wrong, no? ;)

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping that my prediction of the 6th was correct. Joe Belfiore said the video showing off features of Windows 10 for Phones and Small Tablets was 1-2 weeks out on the 26th of January. That makes the video's release the 9th at the latest (if you see his twitter as the absolute truth). Given the recent leaks and willingness to reveal information, I would suggest that the build will be released sooner rather than later. Considering that it's unlikely that anything will be released over the weekend, it seems very possible for a Friday release date (making it two weeks after build 9926).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkilDS