Windows 10 upgrade from Win8.1 stuck at Working on it, what could the issue be?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 upgrade from Win8.1 stuck at Working on it

While i am doing Win10 upgrade from Win8.1, for last 30 minutes it is stuck at "Working on it" on flash window screen. Nothing moving. Internet connection is good (am writing through that only). What could be the issue. Files were downloaded last night (6.07GB total, 4.64GB on disk). What could be the issue?>

rolltideala

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 upgrade from Win8.1 stuck at Working on it

Well looks like I'm having the same problem as so many others. I know some say not to use the App but to go to windows update and they had no problems that way but I'm sure most of us probably used the app that popped up since we did not anticipate any problems, I know funny?lol.

Anyway here is how my install is going so far:

As I said I used the app and it took a little bit but it finally took me to windows update and showed the Windows 10 update ready to be downloaded.

After about an hour the download completed and said ?Preparing for installation? I waited for quite some time and nothing ever changed, since it was late I decided to let it run and check on it the next morning.

So the next morning I check it at 5 AM and it is sitting there waiting for me to accept the license agreement which I did. So now it tells me ?Preparing for the upgrade? I waited a few minutes but since nothing seemed to happen went back to bed.

A couple of hours later I checked it and it is still sitting there saying ?Preparing for the upgrade? and now it has been another couple of hours and still no change.

Should I cancel it at this point? Task Manager is showing the program is running.

Why is Microsoft not posting any answers with as many people having this issue?

JJ O

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I experienced this problem when I tried to upgrade my desktop from 8.1 to 10. The upgrade was slow, I had trouble with the restarts, and then the entire process hung up at 42%. After 5 hours at 42% I shut the whole thing down and went back to 8.1. I went looking for answers and I found several which suggested that I try doing the upgrade using a Windows 10 ISO file burned onto a DVD or using a Windows 10 file downloaded to a USB drive. I typed Windows 10 ISO into the box in my search engine (I use Duck, Duck, Go) and selected the Microsoft site entitled Windows 10 ISO. (I would post the address but being a newbie I can't do that.) I followed the instructions and created a Windows 10 ISO disc which I used to successfully and easily upgrade my desktop from 8.1 to 10.

If anyone decides to give this method a try there are a few things that will make the process a bit smoother:

1. Make sure you know what version of Windows you currently have installed. 32 or 64bit? Home or pro? You will need this information to create the installation media.

2. Has Microsoft indicated that your computer is eligible for the upgrade? Do you have the icon in the lower right corner of the desktop taskbar that either offers you the free upgrade or tells you that your upgrade is ready for installation? If you have not accepted the upgrade offer go ahead and do so. Once you get the notification that your upgrade is ready you can use the ISO or USB method. If you don't see the icon go to Microsoft and find out if you are eligible for the upgrade. If your computer has not been pre approved for the upgrade the installation may fail for lack of a valid product key.

I have fairly good computer skills but I am not some kind of computer whiz. I found this method of installation to be relatively easy and hassle free. I think the keys to success here are making sure that your computer is eligible for the upgrade, and to carefully follow the instructions for creating an ISO DVD or USB installation drive.

pishta68

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
OK, where is everyone seeing the win 10 upgrade in the windows update?? Im trying to update a win7 32bit Toshiba laptop. I downloaded the iso and burned a win10 dvd, put in a valid product key, and the little picture of a window showed up after about 30 minutes of downloading updates, etc. There was no DVD action, no HDD action (SSD) and hitting power (after 40 minutes) immediately shut it down, no power down delay. All win7 updates were applied. Now Im back to "windows update" after downloading "update other windows products" in hopes that it would trigger a win 10 update, no dice, its still just "checking for updates" going on 10 minutes. Another question. Do you leave the DVD in the laptop during the installation? I know stupid question, but my laptop asks to "boot from dvd" on every start up so if Im not there to catch a win10 installation reboot, Itll default to boot from SSD which still has win7 on it...? Im stuck.

PS>> apparently, you need to be using IE 11, seems win7 comes with 8 on the install disk!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria