If it was up left to people like you we would be typing this in dos and a mouse would be a furry rodent. You're an engineer right? You probably sit in front of a desktop all day. Its a mobile computing world. Touch interface is the next step. You spend all day in cad. Guess what, you make up maybe 3% of market. MS doesn't care about what you want. MS wants to appeal to the other 97%. And making Windows more touch friendly and user friendly is how they will do that. You don't have to like it, but sooner or later you will have to use it. Or, don't complain when you are "retired" by some collage kid who will do it faster because they aren't afraid of progress.
MS appealed to 97% of the market with kin, then wp7, then 7.5, now wp8/w8... its path of 'mobile os on everything' is not selling.
Now, they are appealing to 3% of the market give or take , that bought wp7 and liked it. The sales are flat.
It is definitely time for a reboot, reassessment of decisions, concessions, and windows 9 if they expect to sell _any_ devices in 2014. 2013 is already dead for them.