Would you buy the new Lumia 950 XL Flagship , even if they had outdated hardware?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
What's with this obsession with the 820? Since when did Windows Phone require Hardware that hasn't even been released yet on Android?

I am on an 808, which is slower than 810, and on Android it's running perfectly. Imagine on Windows Phone? Windows Phone 10 runs great on SD 800, doesn't it? So... Slap in an 805 or 808 and call it a day! Haha.

Power efficiency, support for new technologies, new GPU, push higher resolution displays easier.

My Note 4 runs fine with an 805, but anything CPU/GPU intensive destroys the battery. QHD displays really need more powerful and more efficient SoC's. I do notice it throttling when I play demanding games for a while.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Power efficiency, support for new technologies, new GPU, push higher resolution displays easier.

My Note 4 runs fine with an 805, but anything CPU/GPU intensive destroys the battery. QHD displays really need more powerful and more efficient SoC's. I do notice it throttling when I play demanding games for a while.

The 810, at least in the beginning, was a thermal disaster and I much prefer the 808. I had the note 4 for a few months and it was alright... But the 810, if they can get it under control, would be fine. But I really don't see a need for another qhd screen. 1080p is just fine for me. I'm saying this after having owned the LG g3, nexus 6, note 4, LG g4 and a Samsung tablet - all with QHD. I think qhd is over rated...

But once again, wp runs very very well with older hardware. They don't need to pioneer a new processor for Windows phone. But then again that's just my opinion...

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I would honestly be fine with a 805 or newer from a sheer power point of view. 808 would be nice, but I think the 805 actually has a slightly better GPU. The issue with the 810 is how soon it throttles. The 808 is actually more powerful when they both fully throttle, sadly. :/

It's a weird time for Snapdragon 8XX series SoC's. Lol.

Edit: Actually if W10 Mobile supports DX12, I don't think we'll see anything older than the 808. The 805 is only fully compatible with 11.2 or 11.3 and only partially 12 compatible. I'd assume all the mid and lower range devices will be forced to move to 410/415/610/615/618 models too, or whatever supports DX12.

Last edited:

fatheroftwo

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I would like the 950XL just for the size and camera option. I had a 1520 until it was damaged(long story) and loved the size and camera. I think 5.7 would be great. Just don't know if I could afford it. Heck I would love a 1520 again.

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
As long as the battery life is long, the display is good, and the camera is a high quality 20 megapixel camera like I expect from Microsoft/Nokia, then I will still buy it. I'm not worried about power because Windows Mobile 10 will run just fine on pretty much anything I suspect like Windows Phone 8 did.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
exactly. Its going to be a premium experience. Who cares of the specs other than nit pickers. Apple is still running low ram specs but everyone strokes theirs daily as the be all end all of tech. Vtech makes better systems for children as far as I am concerned.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
As long as the battery life is long, the display is good, and the camera is a high quality 20 megapixel camera like I expect from Microsoft/Nokia, then I will still buy it. I'm not worried about power because Windows Mobile 10 will run just fine on pretty much anything I suspect like Windows Phone 8 did.

May run fine but will a low-spec'd device be able to take full advantage of "everything" Windows Mobile 10 has to offer, and, will it continue to do so with advancements in the OS???

Steve Adams;3204939]exactly. Its going to be a premium experience. Who cares of the specs other than nit pickers. Apple is still running low ram specs but everyone strokes theirs daily as the be all end all of tech. Vtech makes better systems for children as far as I am concerned.

I care, already own three WPs (1, 2 and 3 years old) that can't, won't or are limited when it comes to certain features, "Hey Cortana", "Lumia Camera 5" or "Continuum" to name a few, why, because my hardware is outdated and their specs are "LOW", so yes, some of us do care about the specs for good reason... I just "picked" my nose, does that count for something? ;-)

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 950 XL
Snapdragon 810 v2.1 fixed + performance increase!
33% increase in bandwidth.
15% less memory latency.
5% gain with Adreno 430 GPU now 630MHz from 600MHz.
Heating problems seem to be gone.

I rather have the new Snapdragon 820 in the Lumia 950 XL but unfortunately seems not going to happen so Snapdragon 810 v2.1 is good enough!

Now only if the Lumia 950 XL comes to TELUS mobility? Purity please

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
No. I want it to go toe to toe against the latest iPhones and Android Flagships. I like Windows Phone but if they don't remain up to date then they simply will lose against Android and iOS. Come on Microsoft I want a flagship/s worth bragging about to iOS and Android devotees. The last time that was done in general when the Nokia Lumia 1520 was released and it went toe to toe against Android and iPhone at the time.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 950 XL

No. I want it to go toe to toe against the latest iPhones and Android Flagships. I like Windows Phone but if they don't remain up to date then they simply will lose against Android and iOS. Come on Microsoft I want a flagship/s worth bragging about to iOS and Android devotees. The last time that was done in general when the Nokia Lumia 1520 was released and it went toe to toe against Android and iPhone at the time.

The Microsoft Lumia 950 XL destroys the Nokia Lumia 1520 in everyway. But if somehow Microsoft managed away to put the Snapdragon 820 with 4GB RAM into the Lumia 950 XL this November would destroy all competition hands down!

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 950 XL
Snapdragon 810 v2.1 fixed + performance increase!
33% increase in bandwidth.
15% less memory latency.
5% gain with Adreno 430 GPU now 630MHz from 600MHz.
Heating problems seem to be gone.

I rather have the new Snapdragon 820 in the Lumia 950 XL but unfortunately seems not going to happen so Snapdragon 810 v2.1 is good enough!

Now only if the Lumia 950 XL comes to TELUS mobility? Purity please

By fixed you mean clock speed reduced? Cause that's all that has changed. There's no magic 2.1v, they are all 2.1v. Except maybe the G Flex 2, I don't know... HTC has even confirmed all manufacturers use this 2.1v variant already.

Trust me, performance wise, you're better off with the 808. Test have shown the 808 performs better when throttling hit, as it throttles less, even when it's fully throttled.

The 820 can't come fast enough.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
By fixed you mean clock speed reduced? Cause that's all that has changed. There's no magic 2.1v, they are all 2.1v. Except maybe the G Flex 2, I don't know... HTC has even confirmed all manufacturers use this 2.1v variant already.

Trust me, performance wise, you're better off with the 808. Test have shown the 808 performs better when throttling hit, as it throttles less, even when it's fully throttled.

The 820 can't come fast enough.

808 is crap sorry! But even it's GPU Adreno 418 is has less performance then the Snapdragon 805 Adreno 420 GPU also the camera DSP of the 808 is 12-bit where the Snapdragon 810 has a 14-bit DSP camera.....808 is completely stripped down + on the 950 smaller battery, smaller display, no pen support etc etc...

Here more information for you!
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9388/comparing-snapdragon-810-v2-and-v21

+ 950 XL has a bigger chassis then the 950 witch help distribute heat better than on a 950 smaller phone.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
808 is crap sorry! But even it's GPU Adreno 418 is has less performance then the Snapdragon 805 Adreno 420 GPU also the camera DSP of the 808 is 12-bit where the Snapdragon 810 has a 14-bit DSP camera.....808 is completely stripped down + on the 950 smaller battery, smaller display, no pen support etc etc...

Here more information for you!
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9388/comparing-snapdragon-810-v2-and-v21

+ 950 XL has a bigger chassis then the 950 witch help distribute heat better than on a 950 smaller phone.

Crap? Lol. Come on man... No one will take you seriously when you can't talk logically. It's not crap. FYI, the 808 outperforms the 810 when both are fully throttled. This has been tested and proven with data... So, what does that say about the 810?

The 805 may have a better GPU, but guess what? The 808 still outperforms the 805 in graphically demanding situations. If you understood the relations between a CPU, memory and GPU, its not hard to see how that can be.

As for 810 v2 and v2.1. That article says the M9 didn't use the v2.1. HTC is the one who claimed EVERY device with the 810 used the 2.1 variant, so... It doesn't even matter, because we know Sony used the 2.1v and it still have all issues associated with the 810. The OnePlus Two uses it, but guess what? The core clock speed was massively reduced! Hence, less throttling. That's not some magic fix. The OnePlus Two even performs worse in benchmarks and speedtests because of this, compared to other SD810 devices...

It's like you just looked at numbers of each device/SoC and had no idea what they meant...

(I have already posted all these benchmarks and temperature data, fwiw)

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Lol if you say so? So buy your 808 and enjoy!

Posted via the Windows Central App NOT for Android

At the end of the day Snapdragon 820 is going to rule them all!

Wait for the Lumia 960 XL with S820 & Windows 10.1 Mobile around August 2016

Pick your future wisely.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Lol if you say so? So buy your 808 and enjoy!

Posted via the Windows Central App NOT for Android

At the end of the day Snapdragon 820 is going to rule them all!

Wait for the Lumia 960 XL with S820 & Windows 10.1 Mobile around August 2016

Pick your future wisely.
You do realize they repealed the law that forced you to keep an old phone when a new one comes out, right?

And its a good thing because I heard a wild rumor that there might be something even better than an 820 some day.

So you could sell your 950 when a 960 gets here and get something even better later!

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
You do realize they repealed the law that forced you to keep an old phone when a new one comes out, right?

And its a good thing because I heard a wild rumor that there might be some thing even better than an 820 some day.

So you could sell your 950 when a 960 gets here and get something even better later!

That's fantastic news!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium