Xbox One owners get access to all of EA's "top games" for only $5 a month!

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
It's $2 for 4 hours, then I think $3 for a week and $15 for a month. My concern here is when EA realizes people are hooked. That's when quality decreases, price increases, and people are too apathetic to take a stand (the reason EA's been so crappy over the past 5+ years).

Nah, there is pretty good precedent set for subscription services. Looks how Netflix backed off raises numerous times over the years. Gamers are an even more fickle bunch so they'd kill their own service if they got greedy. Plus, it's basically "found money" for them.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Netflix precedent in the past year or so: $10 stream and disc for $10 became $8 stream and $8 disc. $8 stream became $12 stream.

2. EA precedent: $10 Online Pass from 2010-2013. Pointless Origin requirement on many online titles in 2013-2014. Everything EA has done in the past 5 years.

Trust me, precedent is the exact reason I don't trust this.

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
1. Netflix precedent in the past year or so: $10 stream and disc for $10 became $8 stream and $8 disc. $8 stream became $12 stream.

2. EA precedent: $10 Online Pass from 2010-2013. Pointless Origin requirement on many online titles in 2013-2014. Everything EA has done in the past 5 years.

Trust me, precedent is the exact reason I don't trust this.

1) Negative, Ghostrider. Netflix has tried to raise prices at least 2-3 times over the last 8 years, especially when most of the business was still shipping physical discs. Users complained and cancelled all over the place -- I was one of them. They buckled and lowered prices back at least two times that I can recall. So the recent pricing is damn near a decade coming.

2) The EA program more closely equates to how Netflix operated as a disc-based company. The online pass was basically the first iteration of this new program. They had to find a way to get into the secondary sales market and the new EA Access program is the result. So now, every subscription they sell is like found money because it usually ended up at GameStop or some other used game outfit.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Netflix around here did just raise it's price. It was like 7,99€/month, now I think it's 8,99€/month, although I think old customers were allowed to keep the old pricing at least for 2 years.

However checking the local netflix site now, it does say 7,99€/month, maybe they caved in to the customers complaining again like Svoboda mentioned. Also, I checked my email to see when they emailed me about the price increase, it was May 2014.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
1) Negative, Ghostrider. Netflix has tried to raise prices at least 2-3 times over the last 8 years, especially when most of the business was still shipping physical discs. Users complained and cancelled all over the place -- I was one of them. They buckled and lowered prices back at least two times that I can recall. So the recent pricing is damn near a decade coming.

2) The EA program more closely equates to how Netflix operated as a disc-based company. The online pass was basically the first iteration of this new program. They had to find a way to get into the secondary sales market and the new EA Access program is the result. So now, every subscription they sell is like found money because it usually ended up at GameStop or some other used game outfit.

Can't even argue back. You say Netflix doesn't change its pricing, I give two examples, you say "negative," acknowledge that it DID happen, then say "it's a decade coming" to defend the falsehood that was "Netflix doesn't raise prices."

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Netflix around here did just raise it's price. It was like 7,99€/month, now I think it's 8,99€/month, although I think old customers were allowed to keep the old pricing at least for 2 years.

However checking the local netflix site now, it does say 7,99€/month, maybe they caved in to the customers complaining again like Svoboda mentioned. Also, I checked my email to see when they emailed me about the price increase, it was May 2014.

Here, it went from $7.99 to $8.99, I think, though old customers got to keep the old pricing through the end of 2014 or something. I'd have to ask my sister, she's a current member. I dont' really recall, it's been a few months, and since I dont' care about Netflix, I don't tend to keep that stuff in the ol' noggin.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Netflix has definitely raised its prices a few times. Which I have never had a problem with. It costs money to run a business and improve/expand. They have added some great original programming and I have no issue with paying for a good product. Brining this back to EA i think they are experimenting with a great idea. What comes out of it we will all find out soon. I'm in for the first year because I support the premise and I've yet to find a used copy of FIFA for under $30 anywhere.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Got a code for the beta tonight. Not sure if I'll use it, since I might just do Best Buy's Madden trade-in instead, meaning I'd get Madden 25 for $35. The alternative is joining the beta for $30 and playing the old version.

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Got a code for the beta tonight. Not sure if I'll use it, since I might just do Best Buy's Madden trade-in instead, meaning I'd get Madden 25 for $35. The alternative is joining the beta for $30 and playing the old version.

If you don't plan to use it, I'd love to have it for my Xbox One.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I subbed to this myself now, and I do have to say that if they just come up with another batch of games during this year and they arnt the suckiest games on the universe, it was easily worth it for me.

Btw, is there any official word if the games are like in GWG that once you "buy them" once you can play them as long as you have the sub? Or whether they will always permanently alter the vault so that let's say 6 months from here they replace the 4 games in the vault now by 4 other games, do we lose access to the earlier 4 games? In both cases it's probably still worht it for me, but obviously the GWG-way would be better :D

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I think on their twitter account they said that there are no plans 'at this time' to switch out 'old' games for 'new' games.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it sounded like they don't plan to remove games in the short-term, but maybe long-term. I'd guess they'd let you keep the games to play them, but if you uninstalled them, you couldn't get them back, but that's just my guess.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ho-lee sheet.

It was obvious it had to launch by the 21st, since they wanted to offer 5 days' early access to Madden 15, glad to see it's out sooner than expected.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well that sure was fast. So far happy with the service. Like I've said before, the games they add during the next year have to be really scarce and really bad for this service not to be worth the annual sub. I'm totally aware the games coming to the vault won't be new, but for the most parts EA games (short from Titanfall) arn't something I need to buy on day one anyways. If over the course of this year they manage to add another 2-4 decent games, it's easily worth it for me at least. Well, it probably already paid itself back with Battlefield 4 with the help of FIFA and Madden :D

Hoping for NFS: Rivals and PvZ: Garden Warfare to find their way in to the vault. UFC could be sweet too.

On a fairly unrelated note, why not bring Sims or SimCity to consoles? You don't basically need a keyboard for anything in either game. Especially Sims would would great on consoles. Although I'm not sure if I want to say goodbye to my Xbox One as my fiancee would be glued to the Xbox playing Sims all the time :p

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got it today. What do you guys think of it? As a huge FIFA fan, I got Access this morning and drove to gamestop at noon to trade in all my EA games. Got $50 which paid for 1st year of access. I'm loving it.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Downloading all the games now. Was able to play the first mission in the Battlefield 4 campaign. Pretty epic really. Kept wanting to wall run though... gotta get that out of my system. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786