SONY Windows Phone 8.1 devices suggested July release tweeted by Tom Warren

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: SONY Windows Phone 8.1 devices suggested June release tweeted by Tom Warren

Why couldn't they just have both on it, but show their own more prominently? On Android, Google Music is still there, yet they have their own Sony music store. There's some conflicting interest, but I think it more comes down to "can we make money from this?". I'm not sure how big Sony's music store is worldwide, but if it's bigger than Xbox music and would have Sony customers pick that over Xbox music, then it would be in their best interest to keep it. I'd rather they be like Nokia and just offer both, but display theirs more prominently. I realize Here Maps is the exception, but it powers Bing Maps, so that's ok.

The only problem I can think of is the games since you can only get achievements via Xbox. With that being said, they made it work with their PC division.

Exactly with the Xperia Line all of Google services are on there and you cannot even uninstall them such as music, videos, Google game (whatever it called) and all of SONY services so even on their android devices there still having to compete against Google services.

Whereas with MS they are making the music and video into apps so they can be removed so OEM's can put there own services on their devices and can remove the default, this would be alot more attractive I bet to SONY so they can have all their services and take off want they don't want.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure how much this matters. Nokia MixRadio and Xbox Music co-exist just fine. Sony including these services exclusively for purchasers of their Windows Phones is obviously advantageous to them, but Microsoft wins as well, as this would eliminate some barriers to switching for those that currently use Sony's services on other platforms. That way, instead of an Xperia user saying "I want to try Windows Phone, but I can't live without Sony's music service," they can say "Oh sweet, this Windows Phone has the Sony music service, maybe I'll try it out," and everyone wins!

Exactly how I feel I love SONY Unlimited music and pay for the premier subscription ?9.99 a month and that what I'm missing with WP I would still buy WP but others will not touch WP without such a service on the platform and this is what the platform needs to convince users to change devices.

AndersonSilvaR

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The problem is that they are conflicting offers. It's in Sony's best interest that users of an hypothetical Sony WP use their Music, Video and Games service instead of Microsoft's.
Don't forget Sony also makes money out of those services.

Maybe they won't do the constant refresh on WP. Lets see. First we need to see a Sony WP device materialize. Which I still doubt will happen but will be gladly proven wrong by Sony (and if they release a Z2 Compact with WP, I'm buying it upon launch, something I *never* do with any phone).

I don't know why but I have a feeling that if Sony releases a WP line with the SAME specs they use with their Android line, I think that the WP one has potential to outsell their Android business, I don't know why but it's something that I feel in my heart/head.
DJCBS, do you agree with me?

And what about you guys?

EDIT: And I think would be great if they use the same brand Xperia for their both lines. You can say that's confusing, but I don't think so.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't know why but I have a feeling that if Sony releases a WP line with the SAME specs they use with their Android line, I think that the WP one has potential to outsell their Android business, I don't know why but it's something that I feel in my heart/head.

And what about you guys?

EDIT: And I think would be great if they use the same brand Xperia for their both lines. You can say that's confusing, but I don't think so.

I think the same thing it will save SONY money and the Z2 an awesome device!

I think SONY will have more of a chance with WP than with android maybe outsell there android devices after a while which is possible.

They could have design a device specifically for WP so it could go either way they will use there current flagship device or design a completely new device to differentiate itself from the android line.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

I think this is great news! I love Sony; have a VAIO laptop running Windows 7 that's great. Their phones are always awesomely designed, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with running WP 8.1.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Why couldn't they just have both on it, but show their own more prominently? On Android, Google Music is still there, yet they have their own Sony music store. There's some conflicting interest, but I think it more comes down to "can we make money from this?". I'm not sure how big Sony's music store is worldwide, but if it's bigger than Xbox music and would have Sony customers pick that over Xbox music, then it would be in their best interest to keep it. I'd rather they be like Nokia and just offer both, but display theirs more prominently. I realize Here Maps is the exception, but it powers Bing Maps, so that's ok.

The only problem I can think of is the games since you can only get achievements via Xbox. With that being said, they made it work with their PC division.

That's true. However, you don't have Google or Nokia with a platform like PlayStation. And as far as I understand it, Sony will be looking to unify their mobile offerings under the PlayStation brand.
Of course Sony can allow both offers. I would actually like to keep my Xbox games on the phone and add to those my PlayStation games since, well, I actually own a PlayStation and not an Xbox. If I can have both, great.
But from the pragmatical point of view, I think Sony would want to *not* have Xbox stuff on their phones. That way they could target the sales at PlayStation fans too which would't then pick the phone and say "WTH is this Xbox stuff doing here?".

Also, as for the presence of Google Music on Sony phones...well, obviously Sony had no choice. They had to have Google Music otherwise Google wouldn't certify the Android on the phone. Which would force Sony into a similar platform as Kindle and the Nokia X. And while in theory Sony would be better positioned to offer stuff like Music, Games and Video services on their own Sony Store, it would still leave them with the App store missing and having to rely on third parties. Sony is too smart to go that way, specially when they don't have Amazon's commercial arm.

And what about you guys?

Hmm...I'm not sure it would outsell their increasingly popular Android phones. It is very hard to outsell Android. But it would probably be the OEM where the Android and Windows Phone offerings would be more at the same level of sales, yes (since Samsung is out of the question and HTC also gives priority and is more popular on Android).

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

It is confusing, and I would hope they would not do that.

Xperia = Sony Android phones
Something else: Sony WP8's

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Anyone got an idea for what SONY might use as a name for these WP devices?

I think they will go with something like SONY X1 or if they could use the VAIO name then go with the SONY VAIO X1/Z1.

Any thoughts about this?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Anyone got an idea for what SONY might use as a name for these WP devices?

I think they will go with something like SONY X1 or if they could use the VAIO name then go with the SONY VAIO X1/Z1.

Any thoughts about this?

Branding is always hard.
That's why Nokia has never changed their use of the numbering tradition even with the Lumia line. People got used to that.

As for Sony...VAIO would be the logical choice until the selling off of the PC division. I haven't the faintest clue as to what Sony might choose but they're normally good at branding stuff.
The only thing that comes to mind is Sony dedicating the W to Windows Phones. Since W was never used in the Xperia line I think Sony W2 could be it. And if they're clever enough, they might even keep the Xperia brand as long as they make it very clear that the W line is for Windows Phone.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Branding is always hard.
That's why Nokia has never changed their use of the numbering tradition even with the Lumia line. People got used to that.

As for Sony...VAIO would be the logical choice until the selling off of the PC division. I haven't the faintest clue as to what Sony might choose but they're normally good at branding stuff.
The only thing that comes to mind is Sony dedicating the W to Windows Phones. Since W was never used in the Xperia line I think Sony W2 could be it. And if they're clever enough, they might even keep the Xperia brand as long as they make it very clear that the W line is for Windows Phone.

Branding is the hardest part of selling a product it would be better for SONY to use the VAIO name however your suggestion of Xperia W seems likely to be used. However Huawei have the name Ascend W1 so that might put them off using W for there naming.

I think they should use SONY Xperia X or X1.

MARKjotep

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

Sony VAIO would be better.
from desktop to tablet to WP.. they should have the same naming system IMO. hehe.

Sony VAIO one. lol

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Branding is always hard.

doesn't Huawei have a phone named the W2 though?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Sony VAIO would be better.
from desktop to tablet to WP.. they should have the same naming system IMO. hehe.

Sony VAIO one. lol

lol it would, except Sony no longer owns the VAIO brand. As far as I know, the Japanese consortium that bought their PC division also bought the brand and unlike their TV division, the PC division is not controlled by Sony at all anymore.

doesn't Huawei have a phone named the W2 though?

They do. But then again, there are a lot of "One's" now. So if Sony used the Xperia branding, the W could be used.

Besides, Sony targets very different markets. Huawei is practically non-existent in the markets where Sony is stronger and would likely bring WP to - Europe and Japan. Sony doesn't sell in China and I doubt they'll take WP to the USA since they did say they would rather direct their biggest efforts towards markets that are willing to nourish Sony products. Which is also why you don't see Sony very concerned about taking the Z2 to the US.

So an Xperia W wouldn't be a problem. After all, you can't trademark alphabet letters anyway.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

In WP8.1 games now show up in the app list now that interesting so I suppose Xbox Games might be able to be removed and perhaps PlayStation Mobile will be default that just my thought of course.

What do you think?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss