Hard drive destroyed after Windows 10, anyone else?

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I killed mine long time ago. I have two 500GB, one only OS (W7>10) and other one all media files. First one "died" - I could access it with live cd only. I bought new one, installed W7 again. Replaced all media drive with old W10 (computer could see it but couldn't open)

Opened CMD.exe with
chkdsk /X /F: (F is disk letter)

It's working now too

cjmonroe50

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes. My computer only a few years old. Upgraded from Windows 8 first I lost my emails and the new mail app sucks. Then I left, when I came home my computer was trying to reboot. After resetting many times, I took it to Microsoft store. Found out my hard drive was destroyed. There reason was my hard drive was probably weak and upgrade caused failure. Microsoft owes me 200.00 bucks. I have to get a new hard drive not to mention all the hassle of putting everything back the way it was. This is the last PC I will have. I don't know how Microsoft gets away with this!

Buck1981

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. Upgraded my ASUS G74SX to Windows 10 and my Seagate ST1000LM014 1Tb Hybrid Drive started clicking and just disappeared. Drive was about 1 month old and 10 days after Win 10 Upgrade it died. I also upgrade my HP 820 G1 to Win10 (ST500LX012) about the same time and it died today as well about 1 hour after the ST1000LM014. I used an old 7200 Seagate drive to test the SATA connection and it worked fine on both machines. Both made loud clicking/creaking sounds right before they disappeared from my system. I've had HDD's crap out before, but not at the same time and under such similar circumstances. The only real variable other that these just randomly failing was Win 10.

notone

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
After upgrading to Windows 10 about two or three weeks after using it system started to get sluggish and about a week after that it died, my friend had a same problem, and my girlfriend started experiencing crashes and slow boot a week ago, these are all relatively new (less then years old) dell and toshiba laptops... i can't believe this is not yet addressed publicly by Microsoft?????? :angry::angry::angry:

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
For some of the people saying they have problems, it would be useful to know if the drive failed or the data got corrupted, these are not the same thing. I'm not sure I buy that the drives are failing due to Windows 10, but there may well be an issue causing the data on said drive to become corrupt. Windows doesn't talk directly to the drives, it just sends commands which go through several layers including the firmware of the drive itself, so it's unlikely that Windows is directly killing the drives, if the drive has a so far unnoticed underlying issue, and then works hard for an extended period such as when installing an OS, this could well expose the problem.

MGHGMIES

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Me too, but only 1/3. See, I've got 3 computers to maintain (my own workstation w/ i7 CPU, my woman's [really, there is one] personal one w/ i5 CPU, and our entertainment HTPC w/ i3 CPU with a huge monitor). I've upgraded all three from win7 to win10. First my own, about 5mo ago. All is fine, no problems whatsoever. Then I did the HTPC some 2 months ago, and again, no problems. Lastly I did my woman's pc a month ago. All was well a few weeks, and then *wham* nothing works. Pc turns on, slooooowly, there's a desktop, but suddenly u can do nothing. Some features kinda works: u can move post-it stickers around on desktop, but nothing much else. I have tried everything, my whole christmas went trying to fix the pc. There's some corruptions on the C: drive (sfc /scannow, chkdsk C: /f, chkdsk /r), but nothing really mends it.
I have built all the computers myself. They have worked for years, with new components every now and then.

The problematic pc has:
mainboard: Asus P8H67-M
CPU: i5-2500K
memory: 16GB 1333 DDR3

The only "real" difference with the other PCs is that this one has a UEFI Bios.

Then I erased the C: drive and installed the old win7 from an Image. All was well, the PC worked fine with win7. Then I upgraded it to win10 again... And again the same problems. Nothing works.

So, it's not a hard disk problem. Not a drive to motherboard cable/slot problem.
It's win10 problem.
Could it be a UEFI problem? Because the other computers doesn't have UEFI.
Now I'm reinstalling win10, which removes a whole lot of softwares, saving personal data, though. Let's see what happens. Will be back...

Edit:
Okay, done reinstalling. At first all worked fine, for an hour. Fsc /scannow found no faults. Started to install removed programs. Chrome was the first. No problems. Second, Core Temp. Run it, and system tilted, no response, just froze. Then forced restart, and all is fine again. Doing scannow again... Laters...

Edit2:
scannow found nothing, again. Installed RealTemp, which I have on my own computer and working fine with win10. It works on this one too, no problems. Now installing latest Nvidia drivers etc. plus Spotify...

Edit3:
Almost all programs installed, no problems. I think everything happened because of CoreTemp. Do any of you others with the same problems have that on your PC? Or maybe you have some other faulty programs installed that win10 won't have. Opinions?

Last edited:

cjmonroe50

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your HD is dead. It happened to me too. I had to get a whole new HD and of course lost everything. What a nightmare! My computer was only a year 1/2 old. Luckily I had bought an extra warranty from Costco so they put a new HD in it. I'm in the process of re-downloading all my movies again. The good news is I got my email back. I will not be upgrading again so I'm back to win 8.1

cjmonroe50

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I was told that when I went to Microsoft store. If that's the case no one should take that chance. My computer was only 1 1/2 old. My advice DON'T UPGRADE! It's just not worth it and you lose your email and all the email folders. The new email program that 10 comes with does not have the ability to make folders. So if you don't have outlook mail your screwed.

spintowin777

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I have downloaded Windows 10 on two of my computers. This morning, I just lost my second hard drive...dead...click click click. after a Windows 10 upgrade. Coincidence???? I think not! I am infuriated at this moment so I am going to just leave it at that.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Most of you complaining: Its a GPT partition corruption and not a HDD hardware failure. The simple way to fix it (for geeks) is to open up Diskpart and format the HDD completely. Since the GPT partition is of a higher version, lower version OS installs usually do not proceed to install thus leaving the user thinking its a hard drive failure. I do agree Microsoft should enforce strict QA to find most of these issues before the GA but I guess they're still failing short. Besides its hard to figure out the failure in each and every scenario.

Xingularity

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Most of you complaining: Its a GPT partition corruption and not a HDD hardware failure. The simple way to fix it (for geeks) is to open up Diskpart and format the HDD completely. Since the GPT partition is of a higher version, lower version OS installs usually do not proceed to install thus leaving the user thinking its a hard drive failure. I do agree Microsoft should enforce strict QA to find most of these issues before the GA but I guess they're still failing short. Besides its hard to figure out the failure in each and every scenario.

I have had this happening consistently on my Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q898. A clean install works just fine but all of the vesion updates would crap out and it would try to revert to the previous version with out success. I had to disable getting new builds to prevent the system from trying to preload and install follow up versions of Windows 10.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I love to read these kind of funny issues posted. All I can do is ROFL.

There is one post where BIOS says "Hard Disk is not found". What has BIOS test to do with Windows 10? And then they mention that "after install XP everything was OK".

But BIOS of the PC remains the same even if you change the OS. Lol.

To the OP : Your topic header should be more sensational. Something like "Windows 10 kills PC hardware". Lol

manofknight1

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
yea it was windows 10 because same thing happened to me and its like right after you update to 10 but it was fine on 8.1 and all of a sudden it just dies. And there is really nothing you can do besides send it in and get a new hard drive because it's not gonna let you install a new operating system because technically you don't even have windows at this point and you have no operating system and your hard drive has become corrupted.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Connect your dead hard drive via an external USB and you'll see it work again. Or create a recovery bootable disk and open diskpart and locate the disk, you should be able to find it and clean it up. Is mostly the GPT partitions that's messing it up, not a true hardware failure.

Emmy Pendle

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
My new HP Pavillion 15 Hard Drive also was completely gone after 3 weeks of having installed windows 10 I think we should be offered compensation.

Addictedtokaos

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I purchased an 2TB iosafe that worked flawlessly in win7 64 3-4 years. Upgraded to 10 within a month it was dead and iosafe sent me another without issue. I thought it was the drive that was the issue but it looks like it was not. After receiving the replacement drive and formatting it, copying my backup to it, the replacement just failed. there is always coincidence but this is too odd.

Just so people dont post anything stupid like you dont know what your talking about, Ive worked in the IT profession for Government for 15 years. I know my troubleshooting. The first drive to fail would just tick no matter what computer I connected it too. This new drive was only connected to a WIN10 system and formatted fresh using windows 10, so it cant be anything to do with the using an older OS to partition the drive. The problem is that its a backup drive so even if the tables have been corrupted its not good because Im loosing my backup!!!

All my internal drives have been fine so far with windows. I will be contacting M$ support and giving them an earful of this BS....Not happy.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
my guess is your hdd was about to die, then w10 appeared to finish it, not surprising really seeing how ridiculously taxing w10 is on drives, leave your pc idling? all hell breaks lose trying to sync onedrive while scanning for malware and defrag + Cortana search indexing + other nonsense

sukipirate

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
I think this just happened to me.

I installed Windows 10 on my desktop PC about 3 days ago. I was previously running Windows 7.

It worked fine for a few days of heavy use, then when I went to turn it on this morning it gave me a boot failure error, insert boot disc. My desktop is an ASUS motherboard with a SSD as main drive with Windows/Program Files and a regular HD as a back-up disc with my documents etc.

I was hoping that maybe a cable came lose, SATA cable went bad, etc. but unfortunately not the case.

I have a back-up drive with my files, thank god, however, I can't install Windows 7 on the back-up drive because it's partitioned with MSR and GPT. I can't repair Windows 7 either as it is giving me a "this version of windows in compatible with your current version, please insert boot disc of the same version" (which I'm assuming is now Windows 10). I can't wipe the back-up drive and install because I would need to get all the files off first. :angry:

Are most people just having to buy a new main drive? So frustrating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon