The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-21-2017 02:49 AM
105 12345
tools
    Most of you complaining: Its a GPT partition corruption and not a HDD hardware failure. The simple way to fix it (for geeks) is to open up Diskpart and format the HDD completely. Since the GPT partition is of a higher version, lower version OS installs usually do not proceed to install thus leaving the user thinking its a hard drive failure. I do agree Microsoft should enforce strict QA to find most of these issues before the GA but I guess they're still failing short. Besides its hard to figure out the failure in each and every scenario.
    Laura Knotek, jmshub and FXi2 like this.
    01-16-2016 12:51 PM
    Most of you complaining: Its a GPT partition corruption and not a HDD hardware failure. The simple way to fix it (for geeks) is to open up Diskpart and format the HDD completely. Since the GPT partition is of a higher version, lower version OS installs usually do not proceed to install thus leaving the user thinking its a hard drive failure. I do agree Microsoft should enforce strict QA to find most of these issues before the GA but I guess they're still failing short. Besides its hard to figure out the failure in each and every scenario.
    I have had this happening consistently on my Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q898. A clean install works just fine but all of the vesion updates would crap out and it would try to revert to the previous version with out success. I had to disable getting new builds to prevent the system from trying to preload and install follow up versions of Windows 10.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    01-16-2016 11:25 PM
    I love to read these kind of funny issues posted. All I can do is ROFL.

There is one post where BIOS says "Hard Disk is not found". What has BIOS test to do with Windows 10? And then they mention that "after install XP everything was OK".

But BIOS of the PC remains the same even if you change the OS. Lol.

To the OP : Your topic header should be more sensational. Something like "Windows 10 kills PC hardware". Lol
    01-16-2016 11:42 PM
    yea it was windows 10 because same thing happened to me and its like right after you update to 10 but it was fine on 8.1 and all of a sudden it just dies. And there is really nothing you can do besides send it in and get a new hard drive because it's not gonna let you install a new operating system because technically you don't even have windows at this point and you have no operating system and your hard drive has become corrupted.
    01-20-2016 05:23 PM
    Connect your dead hard drive via an external USB and you'll see it work again. Or create a recovery bootable disk and open diskpart and locate the disk, you should be able to find it and clean it up. Is mostly the GPT partitions that's messing it up, not a true hardware failure.
    01-26-2016 08:07 AM
    My new HP Pavillion 15 Hard Drive also was completely gone after 3 weeks of having installed windows 10 I think we should be offered compensation.
    02-02-2016 05:44 AM
    I purchased an 2TB iosafe that worked flawlessly in win7 64 3-4 years. Upgraded to 10 within a month it was dead and iosafe sent me another without issue. I thought it was the drive that was the issue but it looks like it was not. After receiving the replacement drive and formatting it, copying my backup to it, the replacement just failed. there is always coincidence but this is too odd.

Just so people dont post anything stupid like you dont know what your talking about, Ive worked in the IT profession for Government for 15 years. I know my troubleshooting. The first drive to fail would just tick no matter what computer I connected it too. This new drive was only connected to a WIN10 system and formatted fresh using windows 10, so it cant be anything to do with the using an older OS to partition the drive. The problem is that its a backup drive so even if the tables have been corrupted its not good because Im loosing my backup!!!

All my internal drives have been fine so far with windows. I will be contacting M$ support and giving them an earful of this BS....Not happy.
    02-07-2016 10:49 AM
    my guess is your hdd was about to die, then w10 appeared to finish it, not surprising really seeing how ridiculously taxing w10 is on drives, leave your pc idling? all hell breaks lose trying to sync onedrive while scanning for malware and defrag + Cortana search indexing + other nonsense
    02-07-2016 11:35 AM
    I think this just happened to me.

I installed Windows 10 on my desktop PC about 3 days ago. I was previously running Windows 7.

It worked fine for a few days of heavy use, then when I went to turn it on this morning it gave me a boot failure error, insert boot disc. My desktop is an ASUS motherboard with a SSD as main drive with Windows/Program Files and a regular HD as a back-up disc with my documents etc.

I was hoping that maybe a cable came lose, SATA cable went bad, etc. but unfortunately not the case.

I have a back-up drive with my files, thank god, however, I can't install Windows 7 on the back-up drive because it's partitioned with MSR and GPT. I can't repair Windows 7 either as it is giving me a "this version of windows in compatible with your current version, please insert boot disc of the same version" (which I'm assuming is now Windows 10). I can't wipe the back-up drive and install because I would need to get all the files off first.

Are most people just having to buy a new main drive? So frustrating.
    02-07-2016 07:57 PM
    I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 8 three years ago, my hard drive died yesterday...must be MS.
    seldzar likes this.
    02-07-2016 08:56 PM
    I'm going to ignore the previous troll. I'm assuming that was sarcasm. If you would take the time to read my post, My backup drive had worked without issue for YEARS prior to upgrading to Windows 10. Then it died. I contacted the company and requested warranty and they sent me A NEW DRIVE. It worked for a few weeks and the new REPLACEMENT DIED.

For those who are serious about this:
    I'm sure I have a few spare enclosures around the office and drives. I'm going to connect them up with my backup software to see the results.

I'm also going to get in touch with the company Iosafe to see if there has been any other request for users running windows 10.
    pankaj981 likes this.
    02-10-2016 09:50 AM
    OMG I thought only happen to me... I will never install Win10 anymore till I know its safe
    02-15-2016 06:22 AM
    In the bios see if you can change the file system from pata/ide to Sata. Or vice versa. Your file system for windows 10 may have changed but not the bios settings.

Also check between using legacy bios or using uefi. Finally check options for using mbr or gpt.

Any number of things being changed is a re install of windows 10
    02-15-2016 06:48 AM
    I thought this only happened to me.

After I installed Windows 10 on my main computer, three of the external hard drives died over a three month period. Totally dead, not possible to retrieve ANY information. Even using LINUX, I was not able to revive the disk.
    Last edited by JennyOlsen; 02-20-2016 at 08:50 AM.
    02-20-2016 07:56 AM
    OK I was hired by 4 different costumers to put windows 10 on specs are over qualified and 2 have very expensive high in hard drives and the other 2 r labtops and all 4 fried. Now if it was mine I'd replace my self n go back to 7 but I need to find who paying for them cause I'm not pay for a raptor 4t hard drive and a 2t berracuta hard drive. I live in smell town n I don't have resources to pay for Microsoft ( Bill Gates) this is your company you sobby rich ****ers **** up cause he can't spend extra time to work out these issues before releasing it no gotta rush to get more money for releasing it now rather than making sure of quality issues were met. Is anyone starting law suit group for this does anyone know? Please message me so I can't hop on board if not I'll get ball rolling for cause there are 100 more sites just like this for this reason n one guy spent thousands on different hards thinking that's what's wrong. So let know .
    03-04-2016 09:39 PM
    Microsoft sucks. My 2 yrs old computer HP Envy crashed after Windows 10 .

Microsoft call center took 3 hours on phone . Then they tried routing to HP ..
    I took it Microsoft store in Palo Alto CA . They said 5 days to fix with no cost and latest windows 10 fixed version

Today they ask that Harddrive to be replaced for Windows , Hard disk change will cost 250 $

For a buggy software sent that crashes system and hard drive why should customer pay

Bill Gates and Nadella you better care for your company the direction it is going Microsoft will become a history
    03-13-2016 07:35 PM
    Mine (ASUS laptop) crashed after installing and uninstalling Win 10. Went through a whole 'repair' routine several times and each time it got worse. Finally got to the BSOD and had to pay $230 to get a new drive installed. (Not something I could do myself, so had to pay.)

If so many of us are having these crashing issues, something must be wrong in Windows 10 and we should be holding Microsoft responsible. Class action suit, anyone?
    03-17-2016 10:47 AM
    Same issue here as well. Upgraded from 8.1 to 10 yesterday, all went fine until the first reboot. Hdd is not found in BIOS now and it's ticking continuosly like and old mechanical clock. I don't receive any error message, nothing. The laptop (asus) goes straight into BIOS. Took the hdd out and connected it via usb (used an hdd enclosure i had) and via data cable. Same ticking sound and undetectable by the OS. I'm affraid the data is lost as well.
    03-27-2016 01:24 AM
    Absolutely crushed mine and dumped my $350 worth of office.
    06-22-2016 11:36 AM
    Does anyone know if Microsoft is going to offer any relief for all of the hard drives they are destroying?
    06-22-2016 12:32 PM
    My Dell Laptop passed the Windows 10 compatibility test with flying colors.
    Then about 1 week after starting using it the system crashed. The error
    message indicated that the hard drive boot sector probably got corrupted by the
    crash because one of the options on the startup screen was to run the
    system test utilities and when I ran the hard drive tests they all passed
    so the hard drive is there just the system will not boot up. I tried to recover
    it myself but ended up having to send it to a repair place and they said they
    have 100s of computers there to be worked on that passed the Windows 10
    compatibility test then crashed shortly after going into use. You need to put
    out some kind of notification of this problem and Microsoft needs to fix the
    problem where we can recover our systems.
    Thanks for listening...
    06-28-2016 11:38 AM
    Windows 10 has ****ed 1 harddrive of mine, had to buy a new SSD. Also ****ed up an SD card and a USB thumb drive. I went back to 7. I just plugged an external harddrive in a friends computer to copy some files. My harddrive is now ****ed, he has windows 10. Sooooo bad!!! It's bad coding, it creates a write only error which cannot be reverted or repaired with windows, linux or forensic software. Just permanently destroyed.
    07-02-2016 04:22 AM
    Windows 10 has ****ed 1 harddrive of mine, had to buy a new SSD. Also ****ed up an SD card and a USB thumb drive. I went back to 7. I just plugged an external harddrive in a friends computer to copy some files. My harddrive is now ****ed, he has windows 10. Sooooo bad!!! It's bad coding, it creates a write only error which cannot be reverted or repaired with windows, linux or forensic software. Just permanently destroyed.
    07-02-2016 04:29 AM
    Hi same problem here I will join your lawsuit gladly
    07-12-2016 11:47 PM
    Me too. Worked fine on desktop, wiped out laptop. Microsoft kept insisting I give them $149. I told them I was more likely to take them to small claims court! Brought device to very competent computer tech.
    07-14-2016 12:09 AM
105 12345